X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsiggy
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Advice on bit torrents needed

so I downloded a bit torrent program - and I guess it's working. I got some shows - a great New Order one on the way and my question is

1. What are the best ways to search for bit torrent files/concerts? Any favorite one stop shopping metasearch sites or do I have to go to the individual sites like sharingthegroove.com etc.

2. Why do people have a cow about mp3 format and only want .shn files or flack??? It's a pain to have to convert them back to mp3.

3. If I have the file on my drive completed- do I need to "seed" the file to help share it or is it done automatically?

4. Seems like bittorrents are a pain in the ass compared to a simple programs like soulseek etc.

help a newbie to these get ejumacated!!!!!
    The djs took pills to stay awake and play for seven days......
  • Civic_Zen
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Yes they are a pain in a way, but very cool in others. With P2P you always have to worry about the RIAA or the MPAA or whatever. With BT you do not. Thats why I like to use it. Any way. Some links for yaz.

Download Vuze - Azureus for free. An extremely powerful and configurable BitTorrent client. Vuze (formerly Azureus) is an extremely powerful and configurable BitTorrent client. Search and download torrent files.

This is the BT Client I like, although it is Java based which suxx to holy hi hell. So if you have a mediocre comp or just hate Java with a passion like I usually do (not in this case), you wanna try this one.

Also a decent client.

a few sites to try are.

http://suprnovaforums.com forum for the above BT site, more info and such

www.torrentz.com i think this one is down now.

I used to know a few more, i think i still have a few others bookmarked at home so I will update if/when I get home. Crazy storm a brewin' outside right now. HUGE thunderclaps that shake the hole building, well insulated but you can here it like it hit the building, crazy.

Any way. The BT scene is dying a little for some reason right now, it got all popular and started to suck. IRC has quite a few channels where people host torrent files too so check the usual IRC sources.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Northern Exposed
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Re: Advice on bit torrents needed

Originally posted by cwsiggy
      so I downloded a bit torrent program - and I guess it's working. I got some shows - a great New Order one on the way and my question is

1. What are the best ways to search for bit torrent files/concerts? Any favorite one stop shopping metasearch sites or do I have to go to the individual sites like sharingthegroove.com etc.

2. Why do people have a cow about mp3 format and only want .shn files or flack??? It's a pain to have to convert them back to mp3.

3. If I have the file on my drive completed- do I need to "seed" the file to help share it or is it done automatically?

4. Seems like bittorrents are a pain in the ass compared to a simple programs like soulseek etc.

help a newbie to these get ejumacated!!!!!
      1. www.suprnova.org Hands down the best Bit Torrent site.

2. I wouldn't get .mp3's on Bit Torrent. It's huge pain in ass.

3. If you close the "Download" window, then you've cut off others from downloading from you and ceased to be a "seed".

4. They are a pain in the ass. They are good for movies and appz in reality. Nothing will piss you off more than downloading 90% of a 4GB movie and then having all of the seeds up and disappear. Trust me, I know.
      I ain't no damn noobie. Bitch.

Comment

• bdeau_spinner
        Fresh Peossy
        • Jun 2004

I can help on #3,

You just leave the bitturrent window up. The upload rate will still be going up and down. Once you close the window after it has finished you stop seeding.

As for #4 Bit torrent is a great program for extremely large files. (copying dvd's etc) people trying to share a 2GB file on an open sharing problem would probally not have much bandwidth to share anything else.(If alot of people are uploading the 2GB file) At least that's my take on it.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Northern Exposed
          4. They are a pain in the ass. They are good for movies and appz in reality. Nothing will piss you off more than downloading 90% of a 4GB movie and then having all of the seeds up and disappear. Trust me, I know.
          :ROFLMAO:

Aint that the truth. I definetely hear you on this one. Many DVD movies I have got around 4.2 when its 4.3 gig and UHHHHH. But then you just get it on net flix and DVD Shrink and bam.

Like I said though, the pain is worth it for the anonymity.
          "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
          "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
          - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• cwsiggy
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

Now the big question - is there a way after I have downloaded some of the file - to convert just that small part so I can listen to it to preview it for quality. The reason I ask is I downloaded a huge Pink Floyd 77 concert (The one where Waters went ape on some fans) and the quality was horrid. I wouldn't have downloaded the file if I knew it ws that bad.

I do have a .shn to mp3 converter and a flack converter but they would not let me convert until the whole 900 mb file was done!!!!!!!!

advice advice
            The djs took pills to stay awake and play for seven days......

Comment

• JetaTek
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

http://www.filesoup.com/forum/ is also worth checking out.

Comment

• phazon
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Civic_Zen
                Like I said though, the pain is worth it for the anonymity.
                Dumb question maybe, but how come it's so anonymous?
                ----------------------------

Comment

• zywiec
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jun 2004

Comment

• peeps
                    Fresh Peossy
                    • Jun 2004

Now the big question - is there a way after I have downloaded some of the file - to convert just that small part so I can listen to it to preview it for quality. The reason I ask is I downloaded a huge Pink Floyd 77 concert (The one where Waters went ape on some fans) and the quality was horrid. I wouldn't have downloaded the file if I knew it ws that bad.

I do have a .shn to mp3 converter and a flack converter but they would not let me convert until the whole 900 mb file was done!!!!!!!!

advice advice
                    you have to d/l the whole file in order to use it.

bit torrent is good b/c it prevents leaching - in order to get you have to give.

music is usually in either shn or flac formats when transferred via bit torrent - both files formats need top be converted. thgey are both lossless, compressed formats transferred quicker than wav files.

the whole mp3 thing:
                    there are music purists (some may call the freaks) who go apeshit when you distribute a live concert in mp3 format - they considered this 'pollution' per say - they want to keep the music that is circulating in the highest possible quality. i have hundreds of live shows, and it's mostly b/c of bit torrent - if the people that tape the show, and then distribute the show don't want me to do convert to mp3, then i have no problem with it. it's also very much a respect thing for those who go out of their way and use their own time and money to record shows, but get nothing back for it.

i don't think it's an unreasonable request, considering you're getting something for nothing, basically.

i am pretty experienced with bit torrent - feel free to ask questions.

if you are looking for live concerts - www.sharingthegroove.org - it's a great site - so much live music - it'll eat up your hard drive in no time. trust me - i know :wink:

Comment

• Pataky P
                      asdf_imo
                      • Jun 2004

:wink:

Comment

• tiddles
                        Encryption, Jr.
                        • Jun 2004

if you like go'vt mule:

Comment

• peeps
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jun 2004

another mule fan on [ms]?

werd

Comment

• FM
                            Wooooooo!
                            • Jun 2004

depends on the file extension. You can use a nice little proggy called VideoLAN that'll work on some of them...you won't be able to see a lot or it might skip/hang a bit, but at least quality and verification-wise it works...but also you'd want a reasonable amount downloaded to check as well (say ~10-20% dependent on filesize)

Just make a copy of the file, as most won't play things while they are downloading.
                            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                            Facebook!
                            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• tiddles
                              Encryption, Jr.
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by peeps
                              another mule fan on [ms]?

Comment

Working...