X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mixwell
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Cell phone providers?

Since I will be trekking from the East coast to the West coast, I am in search for some good cell phone providers that are available throughout my drive, as well as in California. I have T-mobile, and have a great deal, but checked out their coverage, and didn't see much for the middle of the USA. Is there T-mobile in CA? What do you guys have and recommend?
    thanks
    dance like no one is watching
  • devon
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

verizon is the only way to go. i have had them for 5 years and very rarely have a problem. t-mobile blows, att blows and sprint really blows.
    i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by devon
      sprint really blows.
      No shit! I have t-mobile and they don't have too much coverage out in west Texas except El Paso, and hardly any in New Mexico except along I-25. They're better than Sprint though.
      http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• hypoluxxa
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

I have and HATE T mobile. I live in L.A. my coverage is non existent in the Vallley. However I had to go to Fresno and my phone never worked better. So as far as L.A. Don't get T mobile.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

It all depends on where you live. I personally see that in Denver, most of the providers have become pretty reliable. There is just not as much of a difference in the quality of the service here. I know its probably not like that everywhere, and of course throughout the past, there was always 1 provider whose coverage area wasn't as good, but I just don't see that as much anymore.

I have friends that have AT&T, I have Verizon, and other friends have T-Mobile and Spint. Everyone pretty much has good service as far as coverage area goes. AT&T and Verizon are much better then T-Mobile and Sprint once you leave Denver though. So if your in rural or offbeat area's often, it will matter more and you need to do the research for your area.

Just don't go with MCI, or Qwest. (If you have either in your area)
          "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
          "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
          - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• superEGO72
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

i have verizon and have been very happy with it... only places that ive not had service are very rural areas... and roaming has only happened in nebraska.

Comment

• Balanc3
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Last time I took a trip cross country, my cell phone got cloned. Thats was a while back, watch out!

Hackers unleash mobile phones virus
              By David Harding, Evening Standard
              17 June 2004
              The world's first computer virus to be spread by mobile phones has been unleashed.

The worm, known as Cabir, is spread via wireless Bluetooth technology and makes the word 'caribe' appear on the phone screen.

At present the virus, thought to be the work of international hacker group 29A, is not 'in the wild' and has been sent only to anti-virus companies to show the weakness in their technology.

But the development has prompted debate between anti-virus companies divided on

whether viruses spread by mobile will soon be a risk for users

Matt Piercy, of F-Secure, one of the few companies to receive Cabir, said although this virus was not a danger to users it could mean worse was on the way.

He added: 'I would not be surprised to see the first attempt at something more sinister in the next few months.'

If a malicious mobile phone virus was written and sent out it could wipe out contact numbers and other data stored on handsets, as well as sending out messages purporting to come from the victim's mobile phone.

But Graham Cluley, of Sophos Anti-Virus, said Cabir was more an interesting development rather than a serious threat, calling it 'a milestone in the timeline of viruses'. He added he believed Windows would remain the primary target for viruses in the near future.

One such virus, the Zafi-B worm which displays a message about the death penalty in Hungary, is infecting 90 out of every 1,000 e-mails sent at present.
              JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• rewing3
                I really don't care
                • Jun 2004

THat was part of T-mobile plan of being coast to coast. Try verizon. That is what i use and works pretty well. But of course I don't really ever us my cell. I have not need to really. I just have it for trips and going back and forth to work.
                Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• LV-8
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

CINGULAR!!!!

Comment

• swedetech
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2004

I have ATT, they used to suck ass but now they have unbelievable good coverage/service! Could not be happier...
                    ---------------

check out http://www.stockmonk.net for all your graphic needs!!! and www.jnmedia.com for custom websites, animation, 3d and more...

Comment

• ddr
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

verizon is the only way to go. i have had them for 5 years and very rarely have a problem. t-mobile blows, att blows and sprint really blows.
                      ditto everything he says.

-ddr
                      "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• mayan_guy
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

I switched to T-mobile from cingular...I'm in the O.C...south of L.A. Coverage is mediocre at best, everyone seems to like Verizon...but althought they probably do have the best coverage, there are still some pockets here and there. It really depends on where,m what city, you are going to be most of the time.

Comment

• dohturdima
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

Pretty much as the above. I live in NYC and switched from shit to shit (Sprint to T-mobile). Reception sux in both, but they had the most attractive minutes plans. Now I kick myself - what good are the minutes if the reception is shit half the time? My sis has Verizon, which is much better. I heard Cingular is not so bad either.
                          Habit is a form of exercise

Comment

• nbpgt
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

around here you can catcha tmobile sig almost everywhere. or at least on the 3rd coast

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by swedetech
                              I have ATT, they used to suck ass but now they have unbelievable good coverage/service! Could not be happier...
                              i agree.

plus they allow you to use Cingulars towers when not anywhere near AT& T without roaming costs. Its great, i love this merger so far. I cant wait for rollover mins to kick in

Joe- There is a TON of deadspots in the middle of the US regardless
                              "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."

Comment

Working...