X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superdave
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room

I saw it this weekend on cable and must say it was probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. I believe its a new movie/documentary that premiered on cable this weekend.

Anyway, it's all about the Enron story and some insight into the debacle. I was apprehensive at first thinking I knew most of the story, but found the movie very informative and entertaining.

If you are somewhat interested in the Enron story, then I recommend this.
    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

Re: Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room

saw the commercial for this. will try to check it out.

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Well hell, it's pretty much the legend of the city here, so I guess I should get to know it.
      http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Krauthead
        Getting Somewhere
        • Sep 2004

im from germany, i cant see this channel.... lol

Kraut
        Sauerkraut

Comment

• nbpgt
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

just watched this. what a bunch of f'in crooks. all about ideas of building false realities & selling the ideas onto other companys/ banks. i also thought the information put forth was well researched. like they said in the movie, towards the end, they couldnt control the gorilla they created.

recommend

Comment

• skahound
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jun 2004

Can't believe it took me so long to see this. Will positively pick up the book now. Not much needs to be added as justice has spoken, but these guys were a bunch of pompous pricks to the nth degree.
            A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• Eric Morris
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jul 2004

I knew a variety of folks there as they were rising and they truly felt invinceable. The term, cooking the books, couldn't be more true.
              CMD^Center

Comment

• day_for_night
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

enron was the reason the accounting rules for special purpose entities were changed in the US...that's saying something

Comment

• badtz
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • May 2005

corporate america @ its' finest :X

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

finally got around to watching this tonight, excellent documentary.

now i dont know the first thing about finance, but it seemed how enron got its start making its money was through "mark to market", but how in the hell can they make money on something today that they can say will be worth whatever they want in whatever number of years they want in the future? how is this even sane?

Comment

• Lorn
                      Looking for a title!
                      • Sep 2004

Reminds me of the movie Barbarians at the Gate.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • May 2006

and a real life version of Boiler Room

Comment

• SUPREMEOPRESSOR
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Oct 2006

I liked the movie. It takes some brains to make money from nothing. Smart crooks.

I thought it was interesting when they ordered electric plants to shut down under false pretenses to hike prices up.

Comment

• hambino21
                            PFC Semen Ham
                            • Jul 2004

yeah my last girlfriend's dad worked for enron. He did something with networking. either way he had bank, but unfortunately a lot of his money was invested into the company and therefore was dissolved with their collapse. He makes twice as much now working in kuwait, but again it's kuwait. Yeah those guys were total thieves at Enron.
                            " Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"

- Me-

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by SUPREMEOPRESSOR
                              I liked the movie. It takes some brains to make money from nothing. Smart crooks.

I thought it was interesting when they ordered electric plants to shut down under false pretenses to hike prices up.
                              yeah that was pretty interesting, thats what a deregulated energy market will get ya though. and they WERE smart for a bit, not too smart now since one is pushin up dasies because he couldnt belive he was going to jail, and the other two are going to be doing big jail time.

Originally posted by hambino21
                              He makes twice as much now working in kuwait, but again it's kuwait. Yeah those guys were total thieves at Enron.
                              my dad is currently in kuwait too as a contractor. good $$ but it is like 130 degress avg over there every day

Comment

Working...