X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • influx
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Electric Sheep

Electric Sheep is a free, open source screen saver run by thousands of people all over the world. It can be installed on any ordinary PC or Mac. When these computers "sleep", the screen saver comes on and the computers communicate with each other by the internet to share the work of creating morphing abstract animations known as "sheep". The result is a collective "android dream", an homage to Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Anyone watching one of these computers may vote for their favorite animations using the keyboard. The more popular sheep live longer and reproduce according to a genetic algorithm with mutation and cross-over. Hence the flock evolves to please its global audience.

Electric Sheep is a collaborative abstract artwork run by thousands of people all over the world. When their computers 'sleep', the Electric Sheep comes on and the computers communicate with each other by the internet to share the work of creating morphing abstract animations known as 'sheep'. Anyone watching one of these computers may vote for their favorite animations using the keyboard, which drives a genetic algorithm. Hence the flock evolves to please its global audience. The Electric Sheep are a free and open source service. The HD Gold Sheep have just been released!
    i reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    www.flynoteproductions.com
  • influx
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Electric Sheep

i've had this for quite some time now and it is awesome. your screensaver is constantly changing and the images (extremely complex fractals) are made from thousands of other computers that communicate with eachother and the central server. it only runs when the screensaver is running, so it doesn't interfere with whatever your doing when your at the computer. i think it's pretty cool and the idea behind it is pretty intriguing as well.

Comment

• supaz
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

The movie "Blade Runner" was inspired from his book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Other movies based on his books:

Total Recall
      Minority Report
      Paycheck

Wired magazine has a great article on him...
      The inside-out story of how a hyper-paranoid, pulp-fiction hack conquered the movie world 20 years after his death. FEATURE: The Second Coming of Phillip K. Dick PLUS: Reality Check The Metaphysics of Philip K. Dick The Hollywood Treatment The unbilled costar of Paycheck, the latest Hollywood thriller from the battered typewriter of Philip K. Dick, […]

Comment

• Pataky P
        asdf_imo
        • Jun 2004

Thanks the links brother!!Good!

Comment

• Neoxx
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

i'm using this screensaver too, some very nice fractals in there..
          Groove on, dream off!

Comment

• Fun Boy(eat me)
            Fresh Peossy
            • Jun 2005

WowW man, awesome...tnx

pd: did anyone try the SETI(Search for Extra Terrestrial Inteligence) screensaver?
            cuack!

Comment

• influx
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Fun Boy(eat me)
              WowW man, awesome...tnx

pd: did anyone try the SETI(Search for Extra Terrestrial Inteligence) screensaver?
              yeah i used to run that for a while... i guess i needed something with more immediate gratification.. hehe.

Comment

Working...