Bill Clinton --- Better chance at beating Bush than Kerry?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superdave
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Bill Clinton --- Better chance at beating Bush than Kerry?

After watching his speech tonight, I remembered how good he was at delivering speeches and using his charisma. However, being impeached and having sex with an intern will be part of his legacy. Of course, he can't run again, but you can't help think about this since he's actually younger than Kerry and still a good politician.

So, who would be a better candidate for the Democrats -- Kerry or Clinton?
    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Bill Clinton --- Better chance at beating Bush than Ker

Clinton was (and is) the consumate politician. Lewinsky scandal or no, if Clinton were able to run for a third term, he would have won it. Although I believe it was more because of the cyclical nature of the economy than anything Clinton did, the fact of the matter is that the economy was humming, if you'll pardon the pun, during Clinton's presidency, and Americans tend to forgive a lot of other things when that is the state of the union.

As for Clinton or Kerry, from the people I know that have met them, Clinton is clearly the more likeable guy, but it probably doesn't matter. If you look at most polls that actually look at such things, it doesn't make a big difference who the democratic candidate is -- people voting for Kerry mostly just want to see Bush gone. The primary purpose of the DNC this week is to try to "define" Kerry. This to me is very telling -- voters don't even know who Kerry is yet, and he's still ahead in most polls. With most undecided voters historically moving away from the incumbent come election day, Bush is in some trouble -- not since Truman has an incumbent with his approval rating as of this point in the campaign been reelected, and W is no Harry Truman...

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

for the record, it wasn't Clinton that gave us the economic boom during his presidency. He only gets false credit for it because it happened during his presidency.

all that aside tho...i liked Clinton.

Comment

• brakada
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

^^^^ well, it's kind of the same with W. If 9/11 wouldn't have happened during his presidency I doubt that he would get as much credit as the man wh stood up against terrorism...

Oh, and regarding the topic, I think Clinton would be a lot better choice. Really, it's too bad he can't run for the 3rd time.
        We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• devon
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Clinton did give a great speech last night. He even used his trade mark "thumbs up" a bunch of times. Man I wish I could vote for him again.
          i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by brakada
            ^^^^ well, it's kind of the same with W. If 9/11 wouldn't have happened during his presidency I doubt that he would get as much credit as the man wh stood up against terrorism...
            haha...show me any credit bush is getting for standing up against terrorism?

seems the american public, er, the left anyway, would rather appease the terrorists and rouge states than stick it to them.

Comment

• devon
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks

seems the american public, er, the left anyway, would rather appease the terrorists and rouge states than stick it to them.
              well he did pull out resources in afghansistan where known terrorists were to invade another country whose links to terror groups are very blury. and always have been.
              i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by devon

well he did pull out resources in afghansistan where known terrorists were to invade another country whose links to terror groups are very blury. and always have been.
                --NEWS FLASH-- !!!DEVON IN GIVING BUSH CREDIT SHOCKER!!!

Comment

• brakada
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

I've read somewhere, that Bush was the only guy who had the guts to stand up against terrorists... Now where was that... hmmm... I know: it was right here and I could probably quote every "republican" on this board saying that (yes, even you Jenks) :wink:
                  We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• Jenks
                    I'm kind of a big deal.
                    • Jun 2004

yeah, i know i've been saying it...but noone else gives him credit for it.

the dems have set themselves up so that any bad news for America while bush is president, is good news for them.

great ideals eh?

Comment

• delirious
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

yeah, i know i've been saying it...but noone else gives him credit for it.

the dems have set themselves up so that any bad news for America while bush is president, is good news for them.

great ideals eh?
                      No. BUSH and his disasterous policies are what set the Dems up.

Bush's advisers said publically that the war would be a "cake-walk", the troops would be greeted as liberators and would be out of the country by now. He also based the war on several pretenses which later turned out to be incorrect. In that same process he pulled resources out of Afganhistan (the new government scarcely has control over much more than Kabul) and isolated the America in the world like never before. These actions, combined with his flip-flopping from his "compassionate conservative" stance, are the root cause of his demise.

If he hadn't gone into Iraq, his election strategy would almost be invincible.

This is total war. We are fighting a variety of enemies. There are lots of them out there. All this talk about first we are going to do Afghanistan, then we will do Iraq... this is entirely the wrong way to go about it. If we just let our vision of the world go forth, and we embrace it entirely and we don't try to piece together clever diplomacy, but just wage a total war... our children will sing great songs about us years from now.
                      Richard Perle, Bush adviser... Before the war

Yeah right, bud

Comment

• superdave
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Aren't the Democrats proposing more troops in Iraq? I thought I heard Hillary mention that last night. If so, does she want more troops from the u.s., other allies, or both?

After a recent terrorist attack(the one in Spain I think), Bush's numbers went up a little bit. Can you conclude from that most Americans have more confidence in Bush than the Democrats?
                        Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Working...