• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoneyBearKelly
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

US Olympians banned from flag waving.

U.S. team banned from flag-waving

ATHENS, Greece -- American athletes have been urged to tone down patriotic celebrations during the Athens Games as the U.S. team prepares to go into competition against the backdrop of a domestic doping scandal and amid security fears.

While other teams have draped national flags from their balconies in the Olympic village, U.S. team officials have warned their athletes to refrain from displaying the Stars and Stripes.

"We have asked them not to hang the flag all over the place," said United States Olympic Committee chief executive Jim Scherr.

Scherr said team officials were also concerned to avoid a repeat of the controversial behavior of the American 4x100 meters relay team after they took gold in Sydney four years ago.

Olympic 100m champion Maurice Greene and his teammates took off their vests and wrapped themselves in the U.S. flag in celebration -- a reaction which Scherr said had been over the top.

"That was absolutely improper and something we have taken great measures to have our athletes not do," said Scherr.

"They didn't mean any disrespect. They were excited but I think those athletes would do things differently now."

But Greene, who defends his 100m title in Athens, said it was impossible to predict how an athlete would react to the excitement of winning a gold medal.

"This doesn't just go for American athletes, it goes for every athlete competing," said Greene.

"You don't know what they will do after winning a gold medal. Nothing is planned, it's done on emotion, you have no control.

"I can guarantee the athletes are not trying to offend anyone, they respect each other and each other's countries. We apologized for offending anybody at that time, we didn't mean it."

Greco-Roman wrestling medal hope Jim Gruenwald also articulated the dilemma U.S. athletes are facing.

"I'm an American and I'm not going to tone it down," said Gruenwald.

"Being an American means we're free. We have a right to voice an opinion. But we also have to be responsible."

From CNN.com
    Cat formerly known as Cheshire
    *cue imperial death march"
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

what is annoying me about this doping thing is it's not just the Americans, yet the world is making it out to be an American problem.

This is the first year for the Anti Doping policy and commission, and while we may have more high profile atheletes being targeted (Marion Jones)...the rest of the world is getting busted too, it's just not being reported.

Just last week, 2 members of the Swedish canoing team, (lmao, yes, canoe racing), were busted for doping. Germans were busted too for some other sport.

But HEY, lets dump it on those fucking cheating Americans!

Comment

• HoneyBearKelly
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

There's nothing about doping in this article.
      I would think it would be in their own interest not to wave the flag so much because it might make them a target. Not the athlete's fault but there are too many nut jobs in that area.
      Cat formerly known as Cheshire
      *cue imperial death march"

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

Re: US Olympians banned from flag waving.

Originally posted by HoneyBearKelly
        There's nothing about doping in this article.
        ATHENS, Greece -- American athletes have been urged to tone down patriotic celebrations during the Athens Games as the U.S. team prepares to go into competition against the backdrop of a domestic doping scandal and amid security fears.
        ??

That's what i was talking about.

Domestic doping scandal? it's world wide!!

two Greek baseball players, a Swiss cyclist, an Irish athlete and a Spanish canoeist have been banned as well, amazing tho, i have to search deep down for the information, not front page of the world like the Americans get.

Comment

• Garrick
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

thats because their media isn't as fucking selfish as our media is. fuck us media.
          Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• superdave
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Re:: US Olympians banned from flag waving.

telling the athletes to tone down their celebration to almost not celebrating is bullshit. isn't the whole point of going to the olympics is to be proud to represent your country and win?
            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• mylexicon
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

People don't understand American patriotism.

Rich. You don't understand our culture so you hate us and judge us according to the customs of your country. That's called ethnocentrism,
              but don't worry its okay as long as you do it to us.
              Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..

Comment

Working...