• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Un-copyable cd's - is there a solution?

Before you go flaming me for making copies of cd's let me explain:

I want to put my copy of Faithless-Outrospective onto my iPod. However it's one of those cd's that won't play in my PC, I just get an error message. I presume this was done to stop people copying it onto a blank cd-r understandably

Is there a way around this? Really want to be able to listen to the album whilst on the move but I can't at present?
  • godisadj
    Getting Somewhere
    • Oct 2005

Re: Un-copyable cd's - is there a solution?

There are programs to get around that. I have had a few CDs that wouldn't let me rip it onto my iPod like your problem. The program I use instantly removes whatever protection might be in place on the fly.

PM me for the name of the program. I don't want to get in trouble with the Admins here.

Comment

• sammwalk
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

if you have the time, you can put the CD into a normal CD player, plug that player's audio outputs into the "line in" on your computer's sound card, and record the entire CD into an audio program such as Adobe Audition.

you will have to have the correct cable: a male-to-male RCA to 1/8" phono cable- to hook up the CD player to the computer. you will need to be sure your computer's sound mixer is balanced; i.e., line input at an appropriate level (probably pretty low). often you will have to switch the mixer to the "record properties" as opposed to the output properties...what a bitch! you will need to have a wave editor to record into. search around and you should be able to find a shareware program that will get the job done. you will also probably need to configure the program to receive input on the line input, somewhere in the settings.

once all that's done, open a new file, hit record in the program, hit play on your CD player, and let the album play into the computer. from there, you can save the album as individual songs. then you will need a program to save the wavs as mp3s. if you're lucky, you will be able to do it in the program you used to record. another way to to do it would be to burn an audio format CD with the wavs, then import the CD into iTunes.

*whew*...this way will definitely work. there might be a faster way that bypasses the copy protection, but I don't know it.

Comment

• sammwalk
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by godisadj
        There are programs to get around that. I have had a few CDs that wouldn't let me rip it onto my iPod like your problem. The program I use instantly removes whatever protection might be in place on the fly.

PM me for the name of the program. I don't want to get in trouble with the Admins here.
        cool...this is certainly easier than the "brute force" method.

you shouldn't be afraid of publishing the program's name if it's being used for legal purposes. as far as i'm concerned, breaking the copy protection for legitimate use shouldn't be illegal. once again, it only punishes the honest user.

Comment

• godisadj
          Getting Somewhere
          • Oct 2005

I shouldn't be afraid. But some message boards have rules against mentioning certain topics so I am not going to push my luck. Check your PM inbox.

Comment

• GregWhelan
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Cheers guys, PM on the way

Comment

• Kobe
              I wish I had an interesting User title
              • Jun 2004

dBpoweramp, it has a direct cd ripper that always works on enhanced cds
              Beats are my crack.

Comment

• buckman
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

I dont know if this is urban legend or not.I hear all you have to do is take a black sharpie around the edge of the cd and it should work just fine.Kinda the same way you used to copy casette tapes.cover the 2 top parts with tape and you were able to record.
                " Darkness Imprisioning Me
                All That I See
                Absolute Horror
                I Cannot Live
                I Cannot Die
                Trapped In Myself
                Body My Holding Cell"-James Hetfield(Metallica)

soulseek sn buckman28

Comment

• arielus
                  He's back, in Pog form
                  • Jun 2004

have you tried with the CD autorun feature disabled?

to do that:
                  • Click Start
                  • Click Run
                  • Enter GPEDIT.MSC
                    Group Policy mmc will popup. On left panel:
                  • Double-click Computer Configuration to open submenu
                  • Double-click Administrative Templates to open submenu
                  • Double-click System to open submenu
                  • Double-click Turn autoplay off option which will be near the bottom of the list in the right panel.
                  http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
                  http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
                  http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• Balanc3
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

I think you an still use sound forge to bypass... this was the case with Sony/BMG CD's.
                    JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• sammwalk
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by buckman
                      I dont know if this is urban legend or not.I hear all you have to do is take a black sharpie around the edge of the cd and it should work just fine.Kinda the same way you used to copy casette tapes.cover the 2 top parts with tape and you were able to record.
                      it's called "greening" cds (because you're supposed to use a green marker) and it's supposed to improve the sound quality. really, it does nothing, as is proven in triple-blind audio tests.

as for copy protection, i would assume that it is data on the disc, not something physical that can be defeated by a marker.

Comment

Working...