question for the [ms] IT industry crew...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonin
    Juvenile Delinquent
    • Oct 2005

question for the [ms] IT industry crew...

I'm trying to gather as much information as i can about the IT industry and how to break into it (get a job). How did you get a job in the IT field? did certifications help you land the job? currently im studying computer science with hope of getting a bachelors, yet i have no IT related work experience, ive heard that its really tough to get in but once your in your set. What do entry level IT jobs look like? sorry about all the questions.

• speciale
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Dec 2005

Re: question for the [ms] IT industry crew...

I got in the IT field at one of the worse times, when the tech market was at its lowest. I started out working tech support for a big software company, with low pay. There, I was given every tool I needed to learn more and more even on things that I didn't need for my job. The company paid me back for my certs too. Now, I manage a pretty good size Server Enviornment for a medical company. For me, getting in a good support department helped me learn quick and saved me money on having to pay for studying materials. Also, with each customer you work with, that is a new person you can network with later down your career path.

Now every support department is not like that. I heard horror stories about other companies which treated their employees like shit. Find out what it is that you want to do, then study in that area. Such as databases, Networking, etc. There are plenty of tools out on the web that can help you.

Also, I am assuming you are in the Charlotte area, and they do have a lot financial companies there and not to mention you are close to the Research Triangle in Raliegh. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. No matter what, expect to start at the bottom, but hard work will get you moving quick. Any ways, that is how I got in
    Originally posted by Miroslav
    It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
    No Soup for You

Comment

• peloquin
      Till I Come!
      • Jun 2004

i went to community college and got an associate in applied science for computer network administration... about a year in i got a job (found on craigslist) for technical support, which was really shitty but a foot in the door so to speak. i lost that one and went to a temp agency and asked if they did placement for IT jobs, and they set me up with an interview for a manufacturing company as the IT support guy, and im currently there (been here almost a year, so the temp agency is long out of the window) - note: i think i was very lucky with the timing on that, i got laid off from my tech support job and went straight to the temp agency, kind of as a shot in the dark, and ended up getting the interview lined up immediately. i also happen to interview well.

still need to get some certs, and get back to finish my bachelors, i know a lot of other places will pay me more, and give me a more appropriate job title (i currently get 12 an hour full time w/ full benefits, and my title is "desktop support technician" although i do all of the IT support and network support for all 3 north american locations...) im happy here for now though

Comment

• anonin
        Juvenile Delinquent
        • Oct 2005

thanks for the replys guys.

also id like to ask, what kind of certifications are useful?

ive been thinking i might need to get an internship at a tech company and go from there, internships look great on resumes.

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by anonin
          What do entry level IT jobs look like?

Comment

• speciale
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Dec 2005

^^^^ totally agree
            Originally posted by Miroslav
            It's not like he grabbed his balls and sucked his dick. It's not like he gave the Saudis the original copy of the Constitution to use as toilet paper. It's not like he gave away the secret recipe to the Colonel's chicken. .
            No Soup for You

Comment

• Balanc3
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

This may help you.. teken from my school's website:

Choose computer science and it will tell you what type of jobs you can obtain with that major.

Then research www.dice.com to see how much salary you can expect from that position.
              JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• peloquin
                Till I Come!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by anonin
                also id like to ask, what kind of certifications are useful?
                mcse, a+, network+, linux, cisco

i dont have any, want to get started on my mcse, my manager suggested that the company could probably send me to get some (something about if i take a certification course i get unlimited liscences for that particular software included or something like that...)

Comment

• thesightless
                  Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                  • Jun 2004

i hope can decipher broken english from somone in the middle of pakistan, cuz that is where every major company outsourced thier tech dept's to.

your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                  download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Paul Louth
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

I self-tought myself how to program from the age of 11 years old. Probably doesn't help you much though
                    soundcloud.com/paullouth
                    https://www.facebook.com/waterwalklondon
                    www.4four.org

Comment

• Balanc3
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                      i hope can decipher broken english from somone in the middle of pakistan, cuz that is where every major company outsourced thier tech dept's to.
                      not true. I don't plan on working a help desk after I graduate.
                      JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• neoee
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by peloquin
                        mcse, a+, network+, linux, cisco

i dont have any, want to get started on my mcse, my manager suggested that the company could probably send me to get some (something about if i take a certification course i get unlimited liscences for that particular software included or something like that...)
                        A+ and Network+ are a joke, don't bother with them. The MCSE is good but not valued as much as it was before. Go for the cisco certs if your interested in networking. Especially the ones that are specialized (voice etc).
                        "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• anonin
                          Juvenile Delinquent
                          • Oct 2005

i made a decision last week to change my major from computer science, however i would still like to get some certs in networking and what not with hope of getting an IT related job, i just cant stand programming right now, its really doing my head in.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

If you go into Computer Science, specialize in something. I can recommend you start by getting your CCNA (entry level - Cisco Certified Network Associate) if your interested in the Networking side of computers. Or get your MCSE if your interested in the cliet or software side. Then work up through certifications.

The fact is that the IT industry sucks right now unless you have specialized certifications. Now granted, you will always be able to find a job - but most corporations are constantly hiring and firing IT People. So you will probably always have a job, you'll just be moving around a lot. With a specialized certification, you can get into the more secure side of the IT industry, and not the peon who fixes everyones computer. I can only comment on the communications corporations, but with a CCNA and later Cisco certifications - you can get virtually any engineering or networking position within a company. Thats after you gain experience too of course.
                            "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                            "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                            - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

mercuryengine imo

Comment

Working...