X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Original Painting/Photography Recs Wanted

Hey, I'm moving into a new place in a week or so, am on the lookout for some new artwork I can use to dress the place up. I tend to favor paintings that are fairly abstract or at least non-traditional, and photography that is urban, architectural, and contemporary in nature. I'm in the market for original stuff -- not original as in "commissioned and well out of my price range," but original as in "not a print of some well-known piece" -- preferably obtained directly from the artist. Prints of unknown works would work -- I'm mostly trying to avoid being the umpteenth person that throws a print of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" or a print of one of a bazillion Monet Flower paintings on the wall.

I know there are some art-loving and creative people on here, thought I'd see if anyone has any recommendations.

TIA
  • palmer
    Retired or Simply Important
    • Jun 2004

Re: Original Painting/Photography Recs Wanted

I don't have paintings but I have digital prints.
    todayistomorrow
    art direction | design | animation

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

my shameless plug ...

i just had this printed in about a 20 x 40. i made it custom to match a bedroom that had pure white walls and black furniture. it is being framed as we speak. i can not wait to see it.

also. i have some old traditional print work that i did on a press machines.

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

i think you can stop looking and have already found your decorators (see above)
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• bloodflower
          Getting Somewhere
          • Oct 2005

well it would help alot if u tell us ur limit of investition... so we know better what to recommend to you

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bloodflower
            well it would help alot if u tell us ur limit of investition... so we know better what to recommend to you
            Good point. Not really looking to blow my wad. I've seen some stuff on eBay that I've liked that has been in the $150 range, and I'd probably like to keep it in that neck of the woods or less, since I know I can get some stuff I'll dig that will meet my needs for that amount.

With that said, for something really cool, I'm not averse to spending somewhat more. In terms of an average range, though, I'd say south of $150 per piece.

I love asdf & palmer's stuff, but I'm pretty sure they're out of my price range...

Comment

• Yao
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

ask them for their rates and see what happens. Don't give up beforehand
              Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• bloodflower
                Getting Somewhere
                • Oct 2005

ok so on what wall would u like to hang out!? what is the size of the wall ??? x ??? and what should be the biggest size of the frame!?
                did u see semi matte canvas prints over there!? maybe i can offer you a deal...

Comment

• toasty
                  Sir Toastiness
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bloodflower
                  ok so on what wall would u like to hang out!? what is the size of the wall ??? x ??? and what should be the biggest size of the frame!?
                  did u see semi matte canvas prints over there!? maybe i can offer you a deal...
                  Walls are quite large -- there are some "normal" sized walls all the way upstairs, but the other walls are between 11 and probably 25 feet high, and fairly wide as well, so I need things that are either large scale, or that can be grouped together.

In terms of framing, I'm more a fan of hanging canvases with painted sides than actually framing and matting stuff. We try to go for clean lines and doing so helps preserve that. All of the photography we have is framed, though. Again, though, bigger is typically going to be better -- small stuff looks really small against the walls...

I'll have to check out the matte canvas prints. They on your web site, I assume?

Comment

• asdf_admin
                    i use to be important
                    • Jun 2004

some size and figures to toss your way.

16x20 runs $48.00
                    20x24 runs $70.00
                    24x30 runs $90.00
                    30x40 runs $125.00

also here are some recent prints i sold.

this is one that was ran at 30x40, once again custom to the home.

these two prints were done as a diptych. in sense that both prints were spilt on two panels they actually came out really cool.

FYI. These were printed at 16x20 for each panel. because my camera is not an high enough megapixel to print large.

another work in progess ... i have a lot of cleaning up to do as you can see in the current image.

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• phaeton
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

try using rasterbator

Comment

• bloodflower
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by toasty
                        I'll have to check out the matte canvas prints. They on your web site, I assume?
                        yepp, actually i offer almost every picture out of my gallery as high resolution long lasting canvas prints... the look n feel of the art on a 4cm frame is just so much more n uniquer than on normal hires photopaper... it becomes like a character cauze the linen gives it just a kind of "alive" look. dunno how do discribe it really cauze i suck in english :P
                        i dont know if u can look up examples over there cauze 75% of the agencies that do fine art prints just dont have a clue from the technic or taste for look so the colors n over-all quality wont be anything comparable...
                        i work for a digitalprint store already for 5 years and be sure i know my tools :P

120x80cm is the biggest format i offer... 440? is the normal price but i am sure as a forum member we could handle a cheaper rate. just pm me if u are interested in general and we will work something out.

cheers
                        Robert

Comment

• gjg21
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jul 2004

what i recommend (as well as what i try to do) is to buy art locally. support your local artists. there's plenty of talent around, regardless of where you live.

Comment

• toasty
                            Sir Toastiness
                            • Jun 2004

hey asdf, empty your inbox. I tried to send you a message, and it got bumped...

Comment

• asdf_admin
                              i use to be important
                              • Jun 2004

done kind sir!
                              dead, yet alive.

Comment

Working...