X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Bush and Evangelical Christians

Highlighting the fact that the religious right and Bush are tightly aligned:

Pastors Issue Directive in Response to Reelection Tactic

By Alan Cooperman
    Wednesday, August 18, 2004; Page A04

Ten teachers of Christian ethics at leading seminaries and universities have written a letter to President Bush criticizing his campaign's outreach to churches, particularly its effort to gather church membership directories.

The Aug. 12 letter asked Bush to "repudiate the actions of your re-election campaign, which violated a fundamental principle of our democracy." It also urged both presidential candidates to "respect the integrity of all houses of worship."

"When certain church leaders acceded to the request of the Bush/Cheney campaign to hand over the names and addresses of their congregants, they crossed a line," the letter said. "It is proper for church leaders to address social issues, but it is improper, and even illegal, for them to get their churches to endorse candidates or align their churches with a specific political party."

The campaign has come under growing criticism since The Washington Post reported July 1 on an instruction sheet for Bush's religious "coalition coordinators." It listed 22 duties, beginning with: "Send your Church Directory to your State Bush-Cheney '04 Headquarters" and "Identify another conservative church in your community who we can organize for Bush."

The ethicists' letter said that "Christians, individually, should prayerfully seek God's direction when voting, but when any church leaders contend that they speak for God and have the right to tell congregants how to vote, such leaders have assumed prerogatives to which they have no right."
    A commentator on the radio this morning suggested that Bush's strategy is to shore up the evangelical Christian vote with the belief that those folks alone would be enough to win him the election. This is more or less consistent with other things I've heard about Bush basically preaching to the choir, if you'll pardon the pun, at all of his campaign stops not just to create the illusion of rabid support from a television perspective, but also to energize his base to turn out to vote to build his numbers that way rather than targeting swing voters, as conventional wisdom would suggest.

It will be interesting to see how this works. I'm banking that it won't -- I just don't think the decision to vote or not to vote is changed in that way, and the people that are attending those rallies and are politically involved are going to vote anyway...
  • mixu
    Travel Guru Extraordinaire
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Bush and Evangelical Christians

And this:

In the United States, several million people have succumbed to an extraordinary delusion. In the 19th century, two immigrant preachers cobbled together a series of unrelated passages from the Bible to create what appears to be a consistent narrative: Jesus will return to earth when certain preconditions have been met. The first of these was the establishment of a state of Israel. The next involves Israel?s occupation of the rest of its ?Biblical lands? (most of the Middle East), and the rebuilding of the Third Temple on the site now occupied by the Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa mosques. The legions of the Antichrist will then be deployed against Israel, and their war will lead to a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. The Jews will either burn or convert to Christianity, and the Messiah will return to earth.
    US policy towards the Middle East is driven by a rarefied form of madness. It’s time we took it seriously. By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 20th April 2004 To understand what is happening in the Middle East, you must first understand what is happening in Texas. To understand what is happening there, you…
    Ask me a question...

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

Thank God I am Roman Catholic. :wink:
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mixu
        And this:

In the United States, several million people have succumbed to an extraordinary delusion. In the 19th century, two immigrant preachers cobbled together a series of unrelated passages from the Bible to create what appears to be a consistent narrative: Jesus will return to earth when certain preconditions have been met. The first of these was the establishment of a state of Israel. The next involves Israel?s occupation of the rest of its ?Biblical lands? (most of the Middle East), and the rebuilding of the Third Temple on the site now occupied by the Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa mosques. The legions of the Antichrist will then be deployed against Israel, and their war will lead to a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. The Jews will either burn or convert to Christianity, and the Messiah will return to earth.
        https://www.monbiot.com/archives/200...ease/#more-859
        That's some crazy shit.

Comment

• krelm
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Man, the evangelical christians are fucking nuts. My parents dragged me and my sister to a few of those churches in north Dallas when we were young, and the thought processes of these people were absolutely shocking.

All non-christian music was a tool of the devil to corrupt the youth.

AIDS was god's punishment on gays. Yes, one preacher stated that as a fact in front of several thousand people, at which point my parents stood up and left.

The wife of one preacher was told by a hypnotherapist that she was molested as a child. From then onwards, most, if not all people that went to that preacher for counseling were told that they were molested by their parents as children and that all their problems were the result of repressing it. Half of them believed it.

And the whole time, there was *constantly* drama from people cheating on spouses, youth group leaders getting down with the high-schoolers, etc, etc. Fucking hypocrites, all of them. All of that left a bad taste in my mouth about organized religion in general, and anybody in a position of power who is using their warped beliefs to make decisions that affect the rest of us.

There was nothing like being dragged to one of these places on a Sunday morning on the back end of a hard acid trip and watching the walls wave while the preacher was spewing his bullshit. At least we had some damnable fun of our own sorts in those little prisons.

Fortunately, my parents have since "seen the light", now go to some hippie church in Boulder where a previous preacher compared Christianity to Shamanism, and purposely taunt their more evangelical friends and family members.
          Broken Symmetry on mcast.mercuryserver.com

www.krelmatrix.com - archives & mixes
          www.myspace.com/satansfluffer - general tomfoolery

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
          - Stimutacs

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Religion/belief is irrational, and irrationality on a large scale and organized basis scares me. That is like organized lunacy IMO.
            Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• davetlv
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mixu
              And this:

https://www.monbiot.com/archives/200...ease/#more-859
              Hoorah, its all our fault!

As an aside, the Dome of the Rock/Al-Aqsa mosque actually stands on the site of the first and second temples. In fact hostorians believe that the actual part of the temple where the mosques are now was the holy of holys -where the ark of the covenant was kept!

Many Jews here, and in the States, are actually worried that Sharon and Bush are so close specifically because of Bush's relationship with fundamental christians, a reason why possibily in a recent survey of US Jews 75% polled said they would be voting for Kerry.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                i use to be important
                • Jun 2004

Not true. I am Catholic, of course God speaks to me not in church but in life. I am not a crazy Christ lover that goes around and damns people. Not my job. My God states not to judge, for it is unjust and unfair. As the saying goes "who are you to judge ?!?". Funny. Yet true.

I do not believe in those people, nor do I believe they are part of my "house". There is a such thing as extreme and yep that would be it. Not to bash anyone who is, but God is a choice within a given person. They choose to believe, it should not be a forced action, nor do I think it should be.

Choice = Freedom. Simple.

Happy Your Day!
                dead, yet alive.

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

Asdf_Admin is about to preach a sermon. Amen brother.

Originally posted by Yao
                  Religion/belief is irrational, and irrationality on a large scale and organized basis scares me. That is like organized lunacy IMO.
                  Score one for Yao because he hit the nail on the head here. There is no god anywhere. We have science and nature, thats it. Love everybody because we're all humans. Please folks lets keep this politics though, and not get off on a religion thread. Everybody here wants to debate, and we all know that debating politics is enough for one lifetime, debating religion is another.

Plus I dont want to embarass any crusaders on this site in a debate about religion...its not my schtick!
                  "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

• asdf_admin
                    i use to be important
                    • Jun 2004

To me there is a God, and there is nothing in this life that prove otherwise. Science is the chase to prove God, but you can not prove something that is in someones heart and is a choice. If you wish to "see" you will. It is that simple. I promise.

... :wink:
                    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• factorg
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

these so called christian's(and catholics) are fools, but dangerous fools, and that is worrying
                      "..truth has a habit of marching on.."

Comment

• krelm
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin
                        Not true. I am Catholic, of course God speaks to me not in church but in life.
                        Catholics aren't the nutcases - just the fucking evangelicals.
                        Broken Symmetry on mcast.mercuryserver.com

www.krelmatrix.com - archives & mixes
                        www.myspace.com/satansfluffer - general tomfoolery

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
                        - Stimutacs

Comment

• asdf_admin
                          i use to be important
                          • Jun 2004

this is the strange thing ... I do not think you guys are fools? So why bash and hinder the peaceful? I have done nothing to anyone, and I will continue not to push my ways or views. I will let life play it's role and I will go with what I feel is strength and power in my life. Even more, to understand and help me get to the next day.

Don't you see ... it is a lifestyle, something that helps me understand, and grow, something I love, and enjoy. And yet that is bad? or not good? You can not say that, nor is there anyway you could prove to me that it is.

I wait for a intelligent argument. Not just simple judgement.

PS (K) Thank You.
                          dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
                            Sir Toastiness
                            • Jun 2004

my thought on it is this: if religion enhances your life, so be it, do it. If it doesn't, that's OK, too. The problem arises when religion is foisted upon someone. That, I guess is my concern with Bush being in the hip pocket of rabid fundamentalists -- there is a possibility that religion will find its way into policy.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                              i use to be important
                              • Jun 2004

I agree with you on that. I do not believe in forcing anything upon anyone. It is just that simple, we all have our own free will, we can choose what we want. I have your backing on that.
                              dead, yet alive.

Comment

Working...