X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drthundr
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Need info on a new "gaming" computer

Ok, so i'm a geek. We all have things we're embarrassed about. My thing is gaming. I'm a gamer. Plain and simple. So anyway, I'm thinking about getting a new machine. I've been checking out Newegg.com and tomshardware.com and there's a ton of shit out there but I'm not sure what to get. It's overwhelming. Here are the main things I need. Power supply/motherboard/processor/fans/memory/case. I have an ATI radeon 9800 Pro as my video card and a decent sound card/mouse/keyboard. They're sufficient until I get more loot. So in the mean time...let's assume money is no object. Do any of you closet gamers (you know who you are), have any suggestions for a fellow gamer? Like Pentium 4 or Athlon64? What's the best motherboard for each? Best memory? Maybe someone can put together a wishlist for me? Thanks...lata.
    D
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re:: Need info on a new "gaming" computer

Not sure if you're even looking for specific pointers to the makes and models and hardware but more than an avid gamer, I'm an avid overclocker (and IMO, they're pretty much the same cause an oc/ing machine is a gaming machine )

it wasnt too long ago that I built my gaming machine which is obsolete (in terms of the gaming world) because everything has moved to DDR2 and PCI EXPRESS.

The only good thing is that I upgraded my nVidia 5950 to the 6800 ULTRA by just paying the difference so that's prolly the only place I'm up with the gaming world.

As long as you get a motherboard (ASUS) that supports DDR2, PCI Express, SATA drives (Western Digital 74 GB RAPTOR - I think) and DDR2 memory (OCS or CORSAIR 3200 or 4000), you've pretty much got yourself a gaming machine.

While I realize that as of writing this, the AMD 64 BIT processor's will cream the INTEL's.... the INTEL 64 BIT PROCESSORS are a short while away and if you can wait.... I know I would.... I'm an Intel guy through and through....

-e-
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Platinum
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

have u checked the games here??? we have Donkey Kong, Pacman, Asteroid, take a peek!!! (in other words i have nothing to say on this subject) cheers
      Enjoy

Comment

• palmer
        Retired or Simply Important
        • Jun 2004

^^ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This topic is going to get fun when all the ati heads find it....

money no object>

dual xeon 3.6 / 6 gigs of ddr2 / quadro 3400

that ought to handle any game you throw at it
        todayistomorrow
        art direction | design | animation

Comment

Working...