• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GerryD
    I love skanking
    • Jun 2004

'STILL CLERKIN'

STILL CLERKIN

LOS ANGELES - Kevin Smith is making another convenience store run.
    The writer-director of "Dogma," "Chasing Amy" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" told the Associated Press on Friday that he has begun work on a sequel to "Clerks," his homemade indie classic from 1994.
    That $27,000 movie, shot at night in a store where Smith worked, chronicled the adventures of Dante and Randal, two guys who talk about life, death, sex and movies while working at neighboring stores.
    The sequel picks up 10 years later.

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?"

A new 10th anniversary DVD of "Clerks" debuts Sept. 7, and Smith said working on that three-disc set inspired him to write about what became of those characters.

The sequel ? titled "The Passion of the Clerks" ? is set to begin shooting in January. Miramax Films, which turned the original into a cult-hit after buying it at the Sundance Film Festival (news - web sites), plans to distribute the follow-up.

"It's funny, it's very raw, insanely foul-mouthed. In many ways it's the antithesis of 'Jersey Girl,'" Smith said, referring to his recent PG-13 comedy with Ben Affleck (news) as the widowed father of a little girl.
    Smith is also writing the screenplay for a movie version of "The Green Hornet," but no longer thinks he will direct it. The "Clerks" movie has moved to the top of his to-do list.

He said he called Jeff Anderson, who played the combative video-store worker Randal, and Brian O'Halloran, who was the besieged-by-strangeness convenience store employee Dante, to run the idea by them first.
    "Jeff was actually very protective of 'Clerks,'" Smith said. "Jeff was like, 'Are you sure you want to do this? That movie means a lot to people and do you want to go back?' I thought about it honestly, and it would seem chicken to not give it a shot just because I'm afraid of (messing) with the first film."

So far, he said he has gotten only positive responses from the people who have read the script, so he decided to move forward with it. Both O'Halloran and Anderson are signed on, and Jason Mewes, will return as stoner Jay, the "hetero life-mate" of Smith's stoic Silent Bob.
    "I'm sure there will be naysayers who say, 'Oh my God, it's an opportunistic grab at a buck,' but it's not. We're doing it for nothing," Smith said. "We're going to do it insanely inexpensively. The budget will be somewhere between 250 grand and $5 million."

The original was shot pre-dawn, and most of the actors worked for free and then went straight to their day-jobs with little or no sleep.
    "This time around we'll afford ourselves the luxury of nice 12-hour days," Smith said. "And people can get paid." (Story courtesy of the Associated Press)
    "We're professional entertainers. You give us money, we entertain you.

• Civic_Zen
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Sweet. Clerks was a great flick.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Weizy
      MCast Resident DJ
      • Jun 2004

Re:: 'STILL CLERKIN'

Awesome, do you think Jay and Silent Bob will make an appearance? Clerks was a great flick!

Comment

• Kobe
        I wish I had an interesting User title
        • Jun 2004

Re: 'STILL CLERKIN'

Originally posted by GerryD
        "It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. "
        So he's basically doing my life story? Cool!
        Beats are my crack.

Comment

• peloquin
          Till I Come!
          • Jun 2004

and this should be great, looking forward to it, clerks is still my fave kevin smith movie

Comment

• rewing3
            I really don't care
            • Jun 2004

i hope this is as good as the original but I doubt it will be.
            Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• rubyraks
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Re:: 'STILL CLERKIN'

I hope he doesn't f*(^ it up...Clerks is still one of my favorites to watch
              "Work like you don't need the money.
              Love like you've never been hurt.
              Dance like nobody's watching.
              Sing like nobody's listening.
              Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• Jibgolly
                Vortexuralizor
                • Jun 2004

clerks is still a great movie.
                cant wait to peep Smiths' new gear.

Comment

• gjg21
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jul 2004

read about this earlier. really lookin forward to it myself.

Comment

• skahound
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jun 2004

Just can't leave well enough alone. I mean seriously, I'll give it a shot, but think about the ratio of sequels that have been released throughout history vs. the number of them that were even close to being as good as the original (some of fans' faves include: Godfather 2, T3, certain Rocky sequels). I guess if there's anyone I trust to pull it off it's Smith, but we'll just wait and see.
                    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

Working...