X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DreamGirlie
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Resume help

I hate my job. I get paid o.k but i have been doing the amount of work of 3 people all above me, because they all left in May and the company is being slow to re-hire to fill the management positions. All of us are overworked, stressed and looking for new jobs. Ive decided i want to find an entry level admin position or a marketing internship which will help me after i get my degree in marketing ( im currently in school for it)

So my question is this, how do i set up my resume for an intern position. My job experience the last 5 yrs has all been retail management, so I dont know if i should set up the resume as if i was applying for a job OR if i should change it to focus on the education i have thus far regarding the position. A friend of mine said to have a basic resume, but in the cover letter talk about the education. Im unsure of which to do.

Ive never had any experience with being an 'intern'...have any of you done this?

Ideas? Advice?
    "Welcome to Hezbollah phone line, for terrorist supplies press 1."
  • bedrizzock
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Yes, if you're going to be an intern, i would focus alot more on skill sets and education. I mean, yeah, retail management is cool to be in. But, dependent upon what your internship is gonna be, education and certification/qualification are going to make much more of an impact. IMHO.
    I'm rich, bitch.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

any use
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• groffhibbitz
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

from my experience, I set up my resume to get an internship exactly as I would one for a job. The only thing was, when I was applying for internships, all my experience was either from classes I took in school, or research done at school.

Basically, just make your resume targeted to meet the requirements of the internship. So, if you feel your education is more relavent to the position, stress that on your resume, and include your work to show that you do have work experience as well. From what you are saying about your work ethic now, it seems like a good one. That is a big plus, since most interns don't have any real work experience, that could be a good addition to your resume.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

So as far as the educational aspect, would i list classes i took and explain what i did in each and how it pertains to the position i am applying for? Thats where i get confused..thanks for the help guys!

i wanna read his book for kicks.

Comment

• brakada
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
            any use
            She wants to get an ENTRY LEVEL ADMIN POSITION OR A MARKETING INTERNSHIP... She doesn't want to become the next American president (yet)...

Otherwise I agree with was written here before: that the skills and education are the most important things... you can still mention your work expirience, but in a way that you were always more interested in marketing...or sth like that...
            We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• mingus51
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

For an entry level admin position the only requirement is that you can fog a mirror...seriously...no prior work experience needed.

Show up, have a great attitude and don't stop talking about how much you'd love to learn about the company...In a pinch tell them that this would be your "dream" career (or describe one shockingly similar).

Comment

• groffhibbitz
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DreamGirlie
                So as far as the educational aspect, would i list classes i took and explain what i did in each and how it pertains to the position i am applying for? Thats where i get confused..thanks for the help guys!

i wanna read his book for kicks.
                I would say spend more time describing the classes that relate to the internship, and list the other classes you took just to show some more depth, but don't spend time trying to describe them as much. You want to make it seem like you are just listing what you know, and it just happens to be a perfect fit for the internship. Hopefully, you will also get a chance to personally let them now how interested you are in the position.

Comment

• acmatos
                  Getting warmed up
                  • Jun 2004

You definitely want to approach it as if you were applying for a regular job. Companies like to see this "professional" approach. When you get interviewed, that's when you should discuss your classes and how they relate to the position, etc... That's the way I, and most others I know have done it. Just a suggestion though. Good Luck!
                  Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Comment

• FM
                    Wooooooo!
                    • Jun 2004

skills acquired, and at least recent job history should be on there...

most college internships are devised also through college itself..be it through some career network, or within your department, etc. Check with your dept. head or office to try and find out where to go or who to talk to (because some basic paperwork should be involved)...

but also, try to get one while in school; it'll earn you the easiest credits ever! (I did one for 12 credits over a summer, saved me an entire semester)
                    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                    Facebook!
                    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• DreamGirlie
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

the ones offered @ my school do not pay.

whereas..the ones i found online over the weekend pay

Comment

• FM
                        Wooooooo!
                        • Jun 2004

lol not necessarily AT your school...I'm talking about outside companies that do internships in conjunction with your school (or any other)...that may not be necessarily listed at the school (not all are listed as is)
                        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                        Facebook!
                        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

Working...