X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • papa_giorgio
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

HALF-LIFE 2 Out Early!

As was the case with Doom 3, Halo 2, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, it seems several copies of Half-Life 2 have made their way into a few gamers' hands. Photos began popping up on forums all over the Web today, with the anonymous owners eagerly showing off the game and its box (pictured). Neither developer Valve nor publisher VU would comment on the images. However, most early nabbers of Half-Life 2 won't be blasting any headcrabs until the game's official release date. That's because, as was confirmed to GameSpot last month, purchasers of the game will have to go online and register it with Steam, Valve's online download service (from which Half-Life 2 can also be purchased).

"For security/antipiracy, each copy must be authenticated via Steam during installation," Valve's Doug Lombardi told GameSpot. "After this one-time (per install) authentication is complete, an Internet connection is not required for single-player and LAN games."

However, since Valve has already released the software development kit for the Source engine (which Half-Life 2 is based on), some crafty techie is likely cooking up a work-around to the authentication process.

But even before the Source SDK was released, fervent Counter-Strike source fans had hacked a version of Counter-Strike: Source that would allow you to play without being authenticated online for LAN parties. So it's likely that somewhere, someone is already strolling the streets of City 17, crowbar in hand.

Slowly their is light starting to show up at the end of the tunner for once and for all.
  • Civic_Zen
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

I've also read that there is already a crack floating around, so there are definetely people playing this as I type this. And if not, there will be a crack in no time flat.

Steam is awesome and all, but when will people realize that piracy is a fact of life. Coming up with security measures that will ALWAYS inevitably flop, only increases the cost for the end user, which forces more and more "would be" buyers to move to piracy.

All in all, anti-piracy measures only increases piracy.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
    "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• audiotherapy
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

if you play CSS, every update you get via Steam, its also installing parts of HL2...

Comment

• Krauthead
        Getting Somewhere
        • Sep 2004

@ papa_giorgio: Very cool Avatar !!!!!

Kraut
        Sauerkraut

Comment

• papa_giorgio
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Krauthead
          @ papa_giorgio: Very cool Avatar !!!!!

Kraut
          Gracias.....muchas gracias...... :wink:

Comment

• Jibgolly
            Vortexuralizor
            • Jun 2004

so fucking true.
            i was just discussing this game with someone tonight, and how i should be able to get it next week thanks to torrents!
            thanks internet. i love you!

Comment

• papa_giorgio
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jibgolly
              so fucking true.
              i was just discussing this game with someone tonight, and how i should be able to get it next week thanks to torrents!
              thanks internet. i love you!
              LOL, well true but i dont think your gonna be able to play it since it requieres an activation with a key. Someone will indeed develope a crack of some source but like always and if you do manage play the game in off-line mode, enjoy it while its lasts. Stores such as best buy are already selling it and a lot of people who arent aware that Vivendi which are the ones holding the source of unlocking the game untill Nov16, you wont be able to see it till that date. I also here they are returning it for something they an get in their hands but now be able tp play it. How fucked up is that. :cry:

Only 2 more days till its offcially unlocked. Cant fukin wait.....

Comment

Working...