• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delirious
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Farenheight Lies?

I must be missing something here.

A lot of MercuryServer members have recently been talking about the "lies" in Michael Moore's new film. Without quoting long-winded articles that say very little, could somebody please provide me with a list of lies (ie factual errors) in the film?

Thanks!
  • Galapidate
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

The problem is, nobody can

Comment

• delirious
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Galapidate
      Hey ... I don't claim there are definately no lies/inaccuracies in Farenheight 9/11, but if people make the accusation that there are lies in it, or that he "inserts fictional material" into the film, they should at least back up their statements with facts.

If they can't, they're being hyprocrites for accusing Michael Moore of exactly the same thing they're doing.

Comment

• Galapidate
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by delirious
        Originally posted by Galapidate
        Hey ... I don't claim there are definately no lies/inaccuracies in Farenheight 9/11, but if people make the accusation that there are lies in it, or that he "inserts fictional material" into the film, they should at least back up their statements with facts.

If they can't, they're being hyprocrites for accusing Michael Moore of exactly the same thing they're doing.
        Well, that's the point. They CAN'T backup their accusations that he lies. They just try to tune out what they don't want to hear and even, in cases like this, prevent what they don't want to know from being said in public.

Comment

• Civic_Zen
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

First off. When I said he "inserts fictional matter" which is what I said, into one of his "documentaries" I was referring to his movies, books, and Michael Moore in general and as a whole.

Maybe you should read what I said again here http://www.mercuryserver.com/viewtop...2&start=36

Now, as far as Fahrenheit 9/11 goes, maybe you should read my post on the other thread where I specifically said, "that in this particular film, its not so much that he inserts fictional matter, its that he is twisting the facts. Which, is the case for all his so called "documentaries." And how I said that the facts he does portray in this film are completely rudimentary.

Go to that post again and read what the definition of a documentary is

doc?u?men?ta?ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dky-mnt-r)
          adj.

1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
          2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

I always thought of documentaries as presenting facts objectively without editorializing. Or without inserting fictional matter, and why would I think that, because its the definition of the word. In this particular film (9/11), he is "presenting the facts while editorializing". I have enjoyed many of Moore?s films, mainly because they make me laugh, but I also KNOW that they don't fit the definition of a documentary. That is simply a fact my friend.

AND THAT was the only thing I was arguing in the post which you are quoting me on. And I was directing it toward the people that made it seem like we shouldn't think of Moore's films as documentaries. Well Duh. But he still lables them that way. I was IN NO WAY assessing that statement solely to this one particular film, just to Michael Moore as a whole.
          "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
          "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
          - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• delirious
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Civic_Zen
            doc?u?men?ta?ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dky-mnt-r)
            adj.

1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
            2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

I always thought of documentaries as presenting facts objectively without editorializing. Or without inserting fictional matter, and why would I think that, because its the definition of the word. In this particular film (9/11), he is "presenting the facts while editorializing". I have enjoyed many of Moore?s films, mainly because they make me laugh, but I also KNOW that they don't fit the definition of a documentary. That is simply a fact my friend.
            Compact Oxford English Dictionary
            documentary
            ? adjective 1 consisting of documents and other material providing a factual account. 2 using film, photographs, and sound recordings of real events.

? noun (pl. documentaries) a documentary film or television or radio programme
            MSN Encarta Dictionary:
            noun (plural doc?u?men?ta?ries)
            factual movie or TV program: a movie or TV program presenting facts and information, especially about a political, historical, or social issue
            wordsmyth.net Dictionary:
            Pronunciation
            dak yE mehn tE ri
            Definition 1. pertaining to, consisting of, or based on written, authoritative information or evidence.
            Dictionary.com:
            A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.
            Cambride dictionary:
            noun [C]
            a film or television or radio programme that gives facts and information about a subject
            Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
            Main Entry: 1doc?u?men?ta?ry
            Pronunciation: "d?-ky&-'men-t&-rE, -'men-trE
            Function: adjective
            1 : being or consisting of documents : contained or certified in writing <documentary evidence>
            2 : of, relating to, or employing documentation in literature or art; broadly : FACTUAL, OBJECTIVE <a documentary film of the war>
            allwords.com dictionary:
            a film or television or radio programme presenting real people in real situations.
            Heinle Newbury Dictionary:
            documentary /dkymntri/ n. -ries a film or television program based on facts and historical records: We saw a television documentary on the Civil War.
            adj. related to documents: The police have documentary evidence.
            Infoplease.com Dictionary:
            doc?u?men?ta?ry
            Pronunciation: (dok"yu-men'tu-rE, -trE), [key]
            ?adj., n., pl. -ries.
            ?adj.
            1. Also,doc?u?men?talPronunciation: (dok"yu-men'tl). [key]pertaining to, consisting of, or derived from documents: a documentary history of France.
            2. Motion Pictures, Television.based on or re-creating an actual event, era, life story, etc., that purports to be factually accurate and contains no fictional elements: a documentary life of Gandhi.
            thefreedictionary.com:
            Doc`u`men?ta`ry
            Noun 1. documentary - a film or TV program presenting the facts about a person or event
            How does Farenheight 9/11 not fit these definitions? or are you the one who chooses the definition everyone else should use?

Comment

• mylexicon
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Look i don't know whether or not there are lies within his footage but there is no doubt more
              uses some very creative editing.

You know when someone is trying to prove something that is hard to believe,
              they always keep the camera rolling and don't stop filming so that way no
              one can accuse them of leaving out important information or doctoring the
              film.

Well that is how i feel about moore's stuff. I would be interested to see,
              one long continous unedited video feed about the president and about
              the Iraq war that showed everything everywhere so that that way i could
              process the data and make an assessment.

Micheal moore sits on the editing room floor and hacks up tens of thousands of hours
              of video footage and turns it into a one hour documentary. Since he doesn't
              use any sort of indiscriminate random sampling to figure out what to include,
              his documentaries are often bastardized representations of the video population.

Michael moore claims to be covering the entire Iraq war, the Afghanistan
              war on terror and September 11. When representing these things, does he
              actually show footage that includes the entire Iraqi and Afghan operation, or
              does he consistently show the exact same region? Do the responses from
              the people he interviews seem consistent with the responses offered up by
              the American population? ETC. No matter how you measure Moore's sample
              against the actual data within the population, you begin to realize Moore
              doesn't actually represent the population from which he draws the data. Since
              moore claims that his documentaries accurately depict the populations from
              which the are drawn, he is in fact lying. And it wouldn't be very hard to prove it either.

If moore had claimed Fahrenheit 9-11 captures the sentiments of liberal Americans
              and depicts footage from U.S. warzones during these battles and takes
              all of President Bush's comments out of context to examine them.....he would
              be in the clear. But sadly, no one would watch a documentary that is so limited
              now would they
              Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..

Comment

• delirious
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mylexicon
                Michael moore claims to be covering the entire Iraq war, the Afghanistan
                war on terror and September 11.
                Where does Michael Moore claim to be covering "the entire Iraq war, the Afghanistan war on terror and September 11?". The premise of your statement is false. He's never claimed that.

You also claimed in http://www.mercuryserver.com/viewtopic.php?t=32 that:
                He is trying to convince America that new laws and the elimination of Bush will solve all of our problems
                I'm still waiting for you to tell me where he claimed that.

Get your facts straight

Comment

• mylexicon
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

I wrote: He is trying to convince America that new laws and the elimination of Bush will solve all of our problems.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me where he claimed that.

Get your facts straight
                  This is so pathetic. So you want me to take you by the hand and lead you
                  through this, fine. I'll write you a little Berenstein Bear book about why i
                  wrote that and i'll make it quick::::::

Fahrenheit 9/11 is about getting John Kerry elected......Moore has said so
                  himself. Bowling for Columbine is about trying to get people to pass more
                  gun legislation.

Comment

• delirious
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

This is so pathetic. So you want me to take you by the hand and lead you
                    through this, fine. I'll write you a little Berenstein Bear book about why i
                    wrote that and i'll make it quick::::::

Fahrenheit 9/11 is about getting John Kerry elected......Moore has said so
                    himself. Bowling for Columbine is about trying to get people to pass more
                    gun legislation.
                    No, I don't need you to write a book.

All I'm asking you is for you to back up your assertations with sources. You allege Michael Moore is saying this and that and I'm asking you for your source. A simple cite/link would be more than sufficient.

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

ok, here's one...

In the movie, Moore claims in the days after 9/11, before flights resumed, Bush arranged for Osama Bin Laden's immediate family and other relatives to fly out of the country.

Fact: Warren Clark made the direct order to do so.

That's right, the same Warren Clark that has been bashing the Bush administration in his book and with the 9/11 panel.

Fact: Warren Clark testifed under oath that HE alone made the decision to fly Bin Laden's family out of the country after 9.11....it was his recomendation, and his ultimate decision.

Comment

• mylexicon
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

All I'm asking you is for you to back up your assertations with sources. You allege Michael Moore is saying this and that and I'm asking you for your source. A simple cite/link would be more than sufficient.
                        Sorry, don't feel like playing this game any more. If you don't believe me
                        that's cool, even if i spent time finding the necessary quotes, imo they
                        wouldn't change your opinion.

But i will leave everyone with this:

Fahrenheit 911 Lbs.
                        We're totally looking forward to Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11,"
                        because, really, the mainstream media coverage of the presidency doesn't
                        quite pander to our preconceptions enough. We hear the film is very
                        controversial. In fact, we hear that it's controversial from Michael Moore himself,
                        who tweaked this aspect of his film's appeal in an ad that ran in last
                        weekend's NYT. At first, we thought it was clever: Bush! Gay! Ha! (Not
                        original, but hilarious.) Then we took a closer look. . . What's controversial
                        here isn't the affair with the president (which we assume is of recent
                        vintage) -- it's Michael Moore's miracle weight loss! Lookit! Compared to
                        that picture from Cannes (on the left)? He's lost half a Michael!

So now, by "controversy," we are of course referring to how he lost all that
                        weight. Pills? Stomach stapling? Voodoo? Because we know he must have
                        lost it. It's not like Michael Moore would ever manipulate an image to make
                        a political point or anything.

Comment

• delirious
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                          ok, here's one...

In the movie, Moore claims in the days after 9/11, before flights resumed, Bush arranged for Osama Bin Laden's immediate family and other relatives to fly out of the country.

Fact: Warren Clark made the direct order to do so.

That's right, the same Warren Clark that has been bashing the Bush administration in his book and with the 9/11 panel.

Fact: Warren Clark testifed under oath that HE alone made the decision to fly Bin Laden's family out of the country after 9.11....it was his recomendation, and his ultimate decision.
                          Fact: In the movie (in the trailer as well), Michael Moore says "people in government", not Bush, ordered the flight.

Comment

• delirious
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2004

Sorry, don't feel like playing this game any more. If you don't believe me
                            that's cool, even if i spent time finding the necessary quotes, imo they
                            wouldn't change your opinion.
                            LOL... not "playing the game" of backing up statements with facts?

Believe me, if you found the quotes, my opinion WOULD change. When I'm corrected or shown to be incorrect (which happens quite often!), I'll gladly admit to being wrong.

Comment

• Jenks
                              I'm kind of a big deal.
                              • Jun 2004

Fact: In the movie (in the trailer as well), Michael Moore says "people in government", not Bush, ordered the flight.
                              In a movie that is aimed at tearing down the Bush administration, Moore leads the viewer into believing it was Bush by not directly saying it was in fact Clark.

Comment

Working...