• buckman
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Digital Backlash

Laptop DJing lacks entertainment value says top US DJs

Digital Backlash

US DJs Form Collective In Protest Against Laptop DJing

Words: Terry Church

An unlikely band of US-based DJs has formed a collective in protest against the rising number of DJs using laptops.

Called ?DJs Are Alive?, the crew?s five founding members joined forces as a reaction to the lack of entertainment value that laptop DJs offer.

Dutch DJ The Scumfrog (aka Jesse Houk) is the man leading the digital rebellion. "Laptop DJing Is Boring" - The Scumfrog

?Every live electronic music performance I?ve seen in the past year and half has been laptop based,? said the producer from his New York home.

?There?s no entertainment worth in laptop DJing.

?The laptop DJs might be doing rocket science, and creating amazing soundscapes, but it?s totally boring for an audience to watch.?

Laptop DJing lacks entertainment value says top US DJs

?DJs Are Alive? also includes four other well-known jocks, Texan cowboy D:Fuse, Detroit producer Static Revenger, house spinner DJ Skribble, and Las Vegas-based vocalist Kristine W.

The collective?s aim is to perform live as a band on stage, creating something that ?sounds like a DJ set, but looks like a band,? said Jesse Houk.

The group will play ?mash up? versions of classic club tracks and their own material with a massive set-up that includes two complete DJ rigs, drums, percussion, guitar, keyboards, sax, FX, and Kristine W. on vocals.

Sasha and other laptop DJs should start worrying. People Will Come To Their Senses

?To me, 2000 people staring at some guy behind his computer for four hours is crazy,? he said.

?Sooner or later, people will come to their senses and go ?shit, we?ve paid all this money to see this bloke play with his computer?, it?s boring.?

Since the rise of digital downloads, and the falling cost of high performance computers, digital DJing has become hugely popular.

It?s also led to a whole new generation of laptop DJs who put ?live? in brackets after their name when billed.

The Scumfrog will jam on guitar when the new group performs

?That?s part of the problem,? said Houk.

?Traditional DJing ? that?s two turntables and a mixer ? is more live than laptop DJing.

?It?s more animated, and more interesting to watch, things can go wrong.

?With DJing, what you see on stage, is what you hear coming out of the speakers.

?But with laptop DJing, that connection between stage and sound is lost.?

The ?DJs Are Alive? group hopes to put the entertainment factor back into DJ sets.

The four DJs will take it in turns to DJ, whilst the rest play an instrument or bang on something. Dream

?This is a dream I?ve had for so long,? said Jesse.

?But I never found the right people to do it because I didn?t want musicians ? they don?t understand DJ culture.

?Us five are the right combination, we?ve all got different backgrounds musically, but have all had experience with being in a band.

?We had a rehearsal in December, and it just clicked straight away.?

D:Fuse is excited to.

D:Fuse loves his drumming

He said: ?DJs Are Alive is about pretending to be a rock star for an hour or so.

?You know, don some mascara, bang on the drums, and sing a little to the crowd.

?Maybe even sling bottles of water on 'em.?

The crew?s first public performance will be at Miami?s Winter Music Conference in March, where they hope to perform at least three dates.

If the fivesome are well-received, they may organize a tour. Experiment

?At the moment this is just an experiment,? said The Scumfrog.

?But we know it?s going to work, because dance music has been needing something like us for quite sometime.?

Interestingly, Jesse Houk provides DJmag with his theory on the current trend of digital DJing.

?The myth of the DJ died when clubbers bought decks and did it for themselves at home.

?So DJs desperate to stay ahead turned to technology, hoping that it?d be the next big thing.

?There?s two opposite schools of thought now ? those that believe technology and digital DJing is the way forward, and then a small school that believe that DJs are, above anything else, entertainment.

?We are from the second school, and for us, entertainment is the key.?

?DJs Are Alive? will perform a series of special live gigs during the Winter Music Conference in Miami, March 24th to 28th.
    " Darkness Imprisioning Me
    All That I See
    Absolute Horror
    I Cannot Live
    I Cannot Die
    Trapped In Myself
    Body My Holding Cell"-James Hetfield(Metallica)

soulseek sn buckman28
  • ichrang
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Re: Digital Backlash

amen!
    music at: www.djrichang.com
    add me: www.myspace.com/djrichang

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

Dutch DJ The Scumfrog (aka Jesse Houk) is the man leading the digital rebellion. "Laptop DJing Is Boring" - The Scumfrog

You got that right bro!!!!! It's also not dj'ing is LJ'ing, Laptop Jockey.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• miketpoto
        Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
        • Jan 2005

I'm starting a group called "Faggots are Alive" just for fun btw.

Comment

• geoffgulley
          Platinum Poster
          • Apr 2005

I knew about this for awhile now but I really didn't think it would come to fruition... Well i will say this... if you know any of these guys (and girl) you won't be disappointed. I can feel the wmc crown and redbull hangover now....
          "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• weswood
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jul 2004

God forbid that dance music fans stop staring at the DJ and start dancing instead. That would be terrible.

Comment

• neoee
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

^^^ I wish they would go back to the days when the dj booth wasn't even visable, just some corner of the club. This praying to the dj thing is inflating a lot of egos.
              "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

I'm not really a fan of laptops as the main element in DJ-ing either, though the addition of one to a setup can spice things up. I'd stick to the old way if I could. That said, I'm also in favour of being a bit invisible when DJ-ing, let the audience have fun. No problem if they see me, but I don't need a pedestal kind of booth in the middle of the club, just put me in a nice cosy corner with my gear
                Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Kinetic
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

These guys are very confused...

But hey, I bet they´ll always say they´re just "doing it for the music"...

Nothing but ego stroking, if you ask me.
                  "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                  http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• geoffgulley
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kinetic
                    Nothing but ego stroking, if you ask me.
                    That's because you don't know them..... For D this is just a continuation of the "live" People 3 tour he's been doing with Mike Hiraztka (whom I'm surprised isn't in this collective). Now I think Jesse's comments about the whole "laptop" thing are a bit harsh but I also think there's some validity to it. The fact is different people react differently to different DJ's. As an example I'm not a fan of DJ Irene because I don't like her music and having played with her I found her extremely annoying... that being said the crowd that was at that event loved her. They had seen her before, knew what to expect and everytime she went nuts the crowd went nuts. Crowds feed not only off the music but the energy of the DJ imo. Suddenly DJ's aren't supposed to have fun and try new things? I never heard this from the Sasha camp when he rolled out the Maven and Ableton... Everyone I knew saw that as Sasha evolving and bringing to a live audience what he was doing in the studio... hardly ego stroking there. Trust me, this is five individuals looking to do something different but most of all wanting to just have fun... and isn't that what it's supposed to be about anyway, no matter how you do it? Just my two cents....
                    "only dead fish swim with the stream..." Malcolm Muggeridge

Comment

• rewing3
                      I really don't care
                      • Jun 2004

That is funny but they do have a point I really don't want to see a dj up there using a laptop to perform. Cds I can understand but a computer is a litte to much and it very boring to watch.
                      Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                        Not cool enough
                        • Jun 2004

have to watch a guy staring at his/her computer screen. It makes the music provider look very anti-social and not interested in what's going on on the dancefloor as they are too busy looking for the next song and putting it together.

I really have nothing against new ways of playing. I'd just rather see someone using Ableton in a live setting like JZ uses it. He has it for various things but still uses his cdj's for the bulk of his shows.
                        Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                        My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                        My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                          Double hoodie beer monster
                          • Jun 2004

Rave + Laptop = bad
                          Lounge + Laptop = fine

Comment

• tiddles
                            Encryption, Jr.
                            • Jun 2004

i challenge the scumfrog to a guitar solo battle.

Comment

• Kinetic
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

My point is that I believe that the music is still the most important thing. The DJ comes 2nd.

But still, talking about "performing", I don´t really see what difference it makes if you´re using CD´s, Turntables or a laptop, as long as your putting your heart into it, as long as you´re making an effort to make it worth the crowds´ while.

It´s equally boring if the guy is doing nothing more than clicking around in a laptop screen as if he´s checking e-mails, or if he just beatmatches records one song into the other and spends the 5 minutes in the middle smoking a fag and talking to his staff or whatever...

Some years ago, people kept saying how boring it was to watch a DJ, compared to a rock band...and that attitude was criticized by the dance community...now it seems the same attitude is coming up within this community...

Anyway, I understand some of the points these guys are trying to put across, but what they´re going to try and do is live performance, not DJ´ing, so´they shouldn´t put both things in the same bag.
                              "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                              http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

Working...