X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Smartphone questions

Hey all - some of you may recall that I was after a new phone recently (see the Blackberry thread). I ended up getting a HTC Desire HD, and very pleased with it I am!

Just got a few quick questions about smartphones in general that don't seem to be listed anywhere

- how does this app thing work? When I use an app am I using up some of my internet allowance, or is it separate from the internet? When I'm on the android marketplace, is that the same as being on the internet?
    - if I turn wifi on (say when I'm in the office) and browse the internet via my phone, is that using the internet via wifi or is it using up my allowance?

Just a little concerned that I will be lumbered with a massive bill for all the times I've fiddled with apps!

Also, please suggest some decent android apps - there are so many I don't know what is cool, fun etc!

Cheers!
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Re: Smartphone questions

Originally posted by GregWhelan
    - how does this app thing work? When I use an app am I using up some of my internet allowance, or is it separate from the internet?
    It depends on what kind of App it is and what you let it do. If you are using a News App or other app that needs to fetch information / data that's not stored on your phone, it will use the internet allowance. Your internet allowance is for data back and forth, it doesn't separate web traffic from app traffic, it just looks at overall traffic

- When I'm on the android marketplace, is that the same as being on the internet?
    - if I turn wifi on (say when I'm in the office) and browse the internet via my phone, is that using the internet via wifi or is it using up my allowance?
    It will use Wifi. Just to be sure, you can turn off the "data" part of your cellular connection so it is restricted to wifi only.

Also, please suggest some decent android apps - there are so many I don't know what is cool, fun etc!
    There's a huge apps thread for iphone and android, take a peek in there. Games, news apps, utilities. One thing be sure to get a good Phone locator app or sign up to htcsense.com and register your phone. That way you can track it and wipe it off if you lose it. I just lost my HTC last week and can't find it even though I remotely installed the tracker apps on it. It's a goner
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Erik Mitchell
      Gold Gabber
      • Oct 2004

Playing games on the shitter at work FTW
      soundcloud - facedbook

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Originally posted by Erik Mitchell
        +1
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        Originally posted by ace_dl
        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• picklemonkey
          Double hoodie beer monster
          • Jun 2004

making videos while on the shitter +1

Comment

• Shpira
            Angry Boy Child
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Erik Mitchell

breaking bricks while laying a brick...i do it every morning
            The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
            Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• GregWhelan
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Sorry to hear you lost the phone Kamal, must be a right pain in the arse?

Cheers for all the other info

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

Check out Angry Birds, Shazam, Pulse, Pandora, Dropbox, Tapatalk, Soundcloud

Comment

Working...