X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Any way to split dj sets on iPods yet?

I have had my 60GB iPod since 2005 and it's still going strong. When I first got it I realised that one of the downsides was that you put a 60 minute set on it and you have to listen to the whole 60 minutes or flip through it using the click wheel - you couldnt just 'skip' to the individual tracks in that set. Wasnt the end of the world but sometimes a little cumbersome.

Anyway, I was wondering if that particular issue had been fixed by now, considering it's 2012!?

I remember 'cue sheets/files' for burning sets to CD but I never ever did that/learnt how to do it and since mp3's gained in popularity I rarely see a cue sheet if ever.

Anybody got any tips?
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: Any way to split dj sets on iPods yet?

Check this out: mp3 and ogg splitter - mp3splt project home page

Mp3Splt-project is a utility to split mp3 and ogg files selecting a begin and an end time position, without decoding. It's very useful to split large mp3/ogg to make smaller files or to split entire albums to obtain original tracks. If you want to split an album, you can select split points and filenames manually or you can get them automatically from CDDB (internet or a local file) or from .cue files. Supports also automatic silence split, that can be used also to adjust cddb/cue splitpoints. Trimming using silence detection is also available. You can extract tracks from Mp3Wrap or AlbumWrap files in few seconds. For mp3 files, both ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags are supported. Mp3splt-project is split in 3 parts : libmp3splt, mp3splt and mp3splt-gtk.
    Unless I'm mistaken but I don't think ipods support .cue files or will they ever, so you have to either split the file manually, or use a tool like the above. Hopefully you have some .cue sheets and this app will make it easy for you.

Comment

• poults
      Platinum Poster
      • Nov 2006

You could put rockbox on your ipod, cue file support has been added by the community here:

Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

^That is sweet I've never seen that before...

Comment

• kassios
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

I use cuesheet and then copy them as tracks on my old ipod
          http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• GregWhelan
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Cheers guys.What I was actually looking for is a software that enables me to upload one file e.g. a 60 min dj set, but to be able to flick through the individual tracks in that file - as opposed to splitting a file into 7-8 tracks and uploading them separately?

Comment

• subterFUSE
              Gold Gabber
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by GregWhelan
              Cheers guys.What I was actually looking for is a software that enables me to upload one file e.g. a 60 min dj set, but to be able to flick through the individual tracks in that file - as opposed to splitting a file into 7-8 tracks and uploading them separately?
              I have always split the set into tracks via Peak Audio, and then make them gapless playback in iTunes. It's busy work, but it gives you the ability to see tracks info and artwork for individual tracks on a mixed set.

In order to be able to browse properly, however.... you must use the Composer field for the DJ who mixed the album.

Example: Sasha - Global Underground 013 Ibiza

Sasha = Composer on all of the tracks
              Artist = the artist for each individual track on the CD
              Title = track title

When you are trying to find your mix CDs on the ipod, you browse by composer. Find Sasha, and then see all of the Albums. Click and Album and the tracks are in order with the correct Artist and Title. And since they are gapless playback, they play fine this way.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by poults
                You could put rockbox on your ipod, cue file support has been added by the community here:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=2817.0
                that is inteesting. Has anyone tried it yet? there are a couple of comments that says it only works with CBR files- most are VBR these days. Any clues?

edit: i just noticed that rockbox doesnt wont work with my 129gig classic - so...... back to drawing board!
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• GregWhelan
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

Good post mate - looks like what I need. Will let you know how I gt on (waiting to get a new iPod at mo as mine died)

Originally posted by subterFUSE
                  I have always split the set into tracks via Peak Audio, and then make them gapless playback in iTunes. It's busy work, but it gives you the ability to see tracks info and artwork for individual tracks on a mixed set.

In order to be able to browse properly, however.... you must use the Composer field for the DJ who mixed the album.

Example: Sasha - Global Underground 013 Ibiza

Sasha = Composer on all of the tracks
                  Artist = the artist for each individual track on the CD
                  Title = track title

When you are trying to find your mix CDs on the ipod, you browse by composer. Find Sasha, and then see all of the Albums. Click and Album and the tracks are in order with the correct Artist and Title. And since they are gapless playback, they play fine this way.

Comment

• GregWhelan
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

subterFUSE - do you need to import the individual tracks into iTunes in the order you want them to appear in the set? Having some trouble getting the playlist to play in order.

I split a 60 minute Guy J set into the 10 tracks, but didnt put them into iTunes in that order. Now I'm having trouble with it?

Comment

Working...