• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Amazon Glacier

New archiving service.

Long-term, secure, durable Amazon S3 object storage classes for data archiving, starting at $1 per terabyte per month.

Amazon Web Services Blog: Amazon Glacier: Archival Storage for One Penny Per GB Per Month
    Expanding the Cloud – Managing Cold Storage with Amazon Glacier - All Things Distributed

Awesome new stuff.
  • tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Amazon Glacier

have you used it yet?

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

I'm playing with it now while I'm at work. It is really not easy to use for the end-user yet because there aren't any cli libraries that interface with it out yet, so you have to write some java code to query your vault and upload/download stuff.

I've uploaded a small archive to it sofar and I'm trying to download it back now. Waiting for my job to return since it takes a few hours...

Comment

• tiddles
        Encryption, Jr.
        • Jun 2004

i'd really like a cheap place to throw my computer backups online, but i'm kinda concerned about security. have used S3 for a few years without an issues for storing/streaming media. what're your thoughts on parking backups online someplace secure and cheap?

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

So Glacier sofar looks really cheap, but it is a big pain in the ass to use as of right now. There aren't any clients for it yet, so you have to write java code to upload and download shit which really isn't practical. Plus the retreival costs are really confusing, plus you have to wait for about 4 hrs after telling the service to fetch your data for it to be pulled down out of the archive. It is meant for really long term storage, so if you want to download 1TB of your data and you are only storing 2TB there you have to space it out over a few days/weeks or you get charged out the ass. It really isn't usable by mere mortals yet until some commandline or gui programs come around, which they will in a few months.

Storing a TB for $10/month is pretty bad ass though.

S3 is killer I have about 100GB stored in there which is costing me about $9/month since I am using the reduced-redundancy storage which is $.09/GB. You can have S3 encrypt your data on their end before it is stored. But Amazon has they keys to decrypt it but it is stored in some separate system so it is supposed to be more secure, but they can still get to it if needed I think. You'd need to encrypt your stuff on your end before sending it anywhere if you wanted to be safe for sure.

I signed up for CrashPlan a few months ago because everything else was too expensive for how much data I back up. Online Data Backup - Offsite, Onsite, Cloud - CrashPlan Backup Software

Its 50$/year and unlimited uploads. I don't know they probably would send you an email if you try and use 10TB with them, but I've backed up my 400GB of mp3's to their service and I've used their advanced options to encrypt everything on my end before uploading with an encryption key.

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

I don't have more than 2GB worth of data that's irreplaceable, and that's just photos or source code. The rest I can get from the Internet if lost, so I see little value in this service considering I can store everything for free on Google Docs, Dropbox, etc.

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

^Yeah Glacier is more geared towards companies who have large data retention policies and are still spending money backing up to tape etc.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

Easier archiving now: Amazon Web Services Blog: Archiving Amazon S3 Data to Amazon Glacier

Comment

Working...