X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnbvcxz
    Platinum Poster
    • Feb 2006

Burning Dreamcast Games

Does anyone know how to do this properly? I've got a .cdi file which I can burn as an image using LiquidCD for OSX, however, the DC reads it as an audio file.
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Burning Dreamcast Games

Do you have your Dreamcast modded? Most consoles have copy protection to make sure this doesn't happen, so you need to solder a chip on the board to make it bypass the copy protection. For the PS2/PS3, I know they intentially burn discs with some type of bad sector at the very beginning that is somehow changed during the copy process, then flags the system that the disc isn't original. Not sure if Dreamcasts ared the same, but I assume there's similar copy protection functionality implemented. Check out Google for Dreamcast mod chips (I don't want to do it at work!)

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

I think I remember trying this back in college with my roommates dreamcast. I didn't have to mod anything. Either I found docs on how to burn a game and then it would crash and run a bootloader which then would play a copied game or since the dreamcast is pretty old now I think you don't even have to mod it to play copied stuff.

Comment

• EternalX
        Fresh Peossy
        • Aug 2004

I remember burning dreamcast games without doing any kind of mod on the actual console.

Comment

• dyreschlock
          Getting warmed up
          • Jun 2010

If I remember correctly, the Dreamcast's clever way of implementing copy protection was to burn information on the discs from the outside in, rather than the inside out. So, you either need to set your burning software to do that, or find one that does.

Also, I think you'll need to burn a Utopia disc to boot any bootlegged (or import) games.

Comment

Working...