X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

The bold and repeated lying

specifically regarding the Jeep / automotive industry.

Why is there not more media attention over this? How can this really be a legitimate strategy in 2012 in a country that claims to be the leader of the free world?

Its quite shocking to my thinking. Why is CNN/BBC/ whoever not creaming him for this sort of falsehood tactics.

Hardly a noble quality for a leader IMHO ?
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

• toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: The bold and repeated lying

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
    Why is there not more media attention over this? How can this really be a legitimate strategy in 2012 in a country that claims to be the leader of the free world?
    The fact that there is not more media attention to this actually answers your second question. Over time, perhaps the truth gets out, but by that time, the election is over and no one will care and if it works, Romney has won Ohio. There are so few repercussions for lying in the political realm, I think the calculus is "why wouldn't you just make some shit up and hope it works?" Pretty disheartening.

This actually presents a related question that I was going to post, and that is why on earth is it so hard to get objective information about the state of the race right now? I mean, I get that both campaigns want to paint their situation in the best possible light, but to read the coverage of the race, the message is either that Romney has got it locked up or Obama has it locked up. It's bananas.

Comment

• 88Mariner
      My dick is smaller
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by toasty
      The fact that there is not more media attention to this actually answers your second question. Over time, perhaps the truth gets out, but by that time, the election is over and no one will care and if it works, Romney has won Ohio. There are so few repercussions for lying in the political realm, I think the calculus is "why wouldn't you just make some shit up and hope it works?" Pretty disheartening.

This actually presents a related question that I was going to post, and that is why on earth is it so hard to get objective information about the state of the race right now? I mean, I get that both campaigns want to paint their situation in the best possible light, but to read the coverage of the race, the message is either that Romney has got it locked up or Obama has it locked up. It's bananas.
      Because you trust the media to tell the truth?

C'mon, it's 2012. If you're still getting your information from major media outlets or newspapers, you're a lost cause. Lost because, if it hasn't 'clicked' yet in your mind, it probably never will.

You're not a prole; you're a pretty smart dude. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you are not prone to making judgment errors, but .... after all that has happened over the years, you still wonder why "it's so hard to get objective information about the state of the race right now?"
      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
        Because you trust the media to tell the truth?

C'mon, it's 2012. If you're still getting your information from major media outlets or newspapers, you're a lost cause. Lost because, if it hasn't 'clicked' yet in your mind, it probably never will.

You're not a prole; you're a pretty smart dude. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you are not prone to making judgment errors, but .... after all that has happened over the years, you still wonder why "it's so hard to get objective information about the state of the race right now?"
        I am obviously aware that looking to the media for objective information is not entirely reasonable, but I guess what I'm saying is that there seems to be a difference between this cycle and 2008 or any other cycle before it in terms of the complete lack of self-awareness from both sides. There was plenty of chest pounding in 2008, but if you looked, there were also plenty of people that would take a step out of the bubble and at least purport to give a view free from campaign spin. Most of those people seem to be gone in 2012.

Pick any random moment during this election and look a the front page on any news aggregator (is that a word?) like RCP, and the headlines look to be from two totally different races, one where Obama is poised for a landslide, and the other where Romney is poised for a landslide. It's just a theatre of the the absurd.

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

Both sides seem to just care about getting power and the office more than giving a shit about making any progress. Hence why Congress' approval is at an all time low.

Good article about where it might go next: Frank Rich: Right will rage if Obama wins - Salon.com

IE even more extreme...

Comment

• 88Mariner
            My dick is smaller
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by toasty
            I am obviously aware that looking to the media for objective information is not entirely reasonable, but I guess what I'm saying is that there seems to be a difference between this cycle and 2008 or any other cycle before it in terms of the complete lack of self-awareness from both sides. There was plenty of chest pounding in 2008, but if you looked, there were also plenty of people that would take a step out of the bubble and at least purport to give a view free from campaign spin. Most of those people seem to be gone in 2012.

Pick any random moment during this election and look a the front page on any news aggregator (is that a word?) like RCP, and the headlines look to be from two totally different races, one where Obama is poised for a landslide, and the other where Romney is poised for a landslide. It's just a theatre of the the absurd.
            How about no. If I find it absurd that people thinking watching the news or reading MSM reports makes them informed about current events, why would I waste time re-affirming my thoughts on the state of journalism (no such thing, anymore)?

One side is not self-aware; they're desperately trying to stay at the dinner table. The other side is drunk on self-satisfaction that what they do is called journalism even when it is not.

Politics is violence. Your team has practiced this for decades. This shouldn't surprise you in the least bit.

Only now is the other side recognizing this and, as I said, they're ready to sit at the dinner table.

I thought you would have predicted this already, but perhaps that's my mistake.
            you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Redskins Rule Bodes Well For Mitt Romney But World Series Result Favors Barack Obama | ThePostGame

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

I think the Halloween mask poll is pretty funny: Halloween mask sales predict Obama wins presidential election 60/40 - Oct. 23, 2012

As unscientific as the methodology may be, Spirit Halloween has accurately predicted the election winner by charting national mask sales since it started keeping track in 1996.

Comment

• floridaorange
                  I'm merely a humble butler
                  • Dec 2005

Fast, convenient. 7-Eleven®. Oh thank Heaven®.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                    Anyone have Styx livesets?
                    • Jun 2004

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• res0nat0r
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • May 2006

^

Comment

• toasty
                        Sir Toastiness
                        • Jun 2004

lol!

Comment

• floridaorange
                          I'm merely a humble butler
                          • Dec 2005

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• 88Mariner
                            My dick is smaller
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                            With sixteen trillion in the hole, what's another few million taxpayer dollars for a wildly successful tv show that could exist on its own.

----PEACE-----

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

Using a few million dollars as a talking point on how you are going to fix government spending is a great target for comedy because of how stupid it is.

Comment

Working...