Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Seeing all those Russian dashcam crashes lead me to wanting to have one installed my car and my research lead me to this model, which seems the best one I've located so far. Anyone else have any other recommendations

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • nelinho
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Sep 2011

Re: Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Only seen lousy comparisons.

Comment

• dusk
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Rather interesting... haven't seen one of these before..

So did you get one installed yet K?
      ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Kamal
        Administrator
        • May 2002

Not yet, I'm torn between wanting a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and one of these. I know they serve different needs but I'm still not sold on which need I'm wanting fulfilled at this time.
        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• floridaorange
          I'm merely a humble butler
          • Dec 2005

is the idea to basically press record when you want something recorded? I don't really get when you would use it?

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

In Europe and Asia where traffic / crazy drivers cause accidents (cue Russian dashcam videos), a dashcam is an essential tool in determining fault for police reporting / insurance purposes. Plus if you love driving (to the extent I do) and have an interest to muck around with video editing, it's nice to have a recorder running to document a nice long drive, the scenery, the flow of traffic, changing landscapes etc.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

^cool, that makes sense now. enjoy bro

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• subterFUSE
                Gold Gabber
                • Nov 2006

I'm glad I found this thread because I got a new car recently and have been trying to find a good camera system in install.

On another forum, I read about someone who had the same car I do with a car camera system installed. They actually had someone "hit & run" while the car was parked. Caused over $3000 in damage. Luckily, their car cam caught the whole thing and recorded the license plate. The owner took the video to the police and they located the guilty driver. The owner gave him the choice of paying for the repairs, or he would press charges for the hit and run accident.

Do you know if this Blackvue camera stays on while the car is parked? Does it record with a motion sensor activation?

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

Firstly, congrats on the new car, what kind did you get?

As for your question, I do believe it can record when it's parked. You can get an additional bit of kit that harnesses it to the Cigarette lighter adapter for a source of power when the car isn't running. It when uses (iirc) either motion tracking or the g-force sensor to determine if it needs to come on and start recording.

I don't remember which video review it was but this was one of them I've seen, it may have some information relevant to you (it's a bit long but well made)

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• subterFUSE
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
                    Firstly, congrats on the new car, what kind did you get?
                    2013 Audi S6

As for your question, I do believe it can record when it's parked. You can get an additional bit of kit that harnesses it to the Cigarette lighter adapter for a source of power when the car isn't running. It when uses (iirc) either motion tracking or the g-force sensor to determine if it needs to come on and start recording.

I don't remember which video review it was but this was one of them I've seen, it may have some information relevant to you (it's a bit long but well made)
                    Did some more research online. This looks like one of the better cameras available on the market, but it still has some quality issues. For one, people are complaining about poor video quality/pixelization. There are reports that the cams are shipping with virus/trojans installed on the SD cards. Heat is also a big issue. Since I live in Florida there might be a concern about the units getting problems from our excessive heat. I do have all of my windows tinted with ceramic film (including front windshield) but I'm not sure whether or not that will make enough difference.

Going to keep looking for info online before making a purchase.

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

Btw congrats on the S6, great choice.

Here is the other dashcam I was considering, but decided I preferred the Blackvue was because of the built in wifi (iirc)

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• ddr
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

"pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• subterFUSE
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Nov 2006

Tank!!!! LOL

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

What Is the Best Animal to Strap a GoPro To? | Motherboard

Comment

• dusk
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

I can't read past 2013 Audi S6 .....
                              ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

Working...