Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subterFUSE
    Gold Gabber
    • Nov 2006

Re: Anyone have one of those DashCams in their car?

Originally posted by Kamal
    Bluetooth 4.0 is great. I love it in my new Acura too. And even Bluetooth Audio Streaming is wonderful. Although for some reason, I can't get the album art to display over Bluetooth Streaming but it will when streaming over USB / iPod Mode. Need to figure that one out.
    Bluetooth artwork is likely not going to work. On my Audi, you can't get Bluetooth song info either.

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Thankfully all the textual metadata works on my MDX
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• subterFUSE
        Gold Gabber
        • Nov 2006

Just picked my car up from the dealer this morning. They updated my MMI software to version 0715-2. I've got Bluetooth music streaming with song info now.

Dropping off on Monday for stereo, radar detector, laser jammer, and dash cam install. Will report back in a few weeks when they are done.

Comment

• subterFUSE
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2006

Install is moving along nicely. Front door speakers are in, digital processor is installed, and laser jammer was going in this morning. Subwoofers and horns are next on the list, and the dash cam system will probably be the finale. Hopefully will be done in another week or two.

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Dude we expect detailed picts, no exceptions
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Illuminate
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Aug 2009

With a female model. Not really wearing much - if possible,

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
              Sbando
              - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
              Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
              Bob
              "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
              the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
              KiwiTollway

Comment

• subterFUSE
                Gold Gabber
                • Nov 2006

Dude we expect detailed picts, no exceptions
                Not much to look at right now, but they are getting much closer to being finished.

They did the front doors first, taking out the factory midrange and midbass speakers, made by Bose. The Bose midbass came in a plastic ported enclosure. See below.

Removing that enclosure left a very large hole in the door which had to be filled in before we could install the 8 inch midbass. We used some composite material that we heated up and molded into the shape we needed, and then backed it with some foam. Then the trim rings were built for the 8 inch speakers to raise them away from the window track inside the door. Obviously, the magnets on the new 8 inch midbass were much larger and deeper than the old Bose. Here's a look at the new composite baffle and trim ring: (you can also see inside the door some of the sound dampening material we added)
                We applied sound dampening to the outer door skin, and both sides of the inner door skin. We also applied foam tiles behind the midbass speakers to help diffuse the back-wave reflections. (can't be seen here, though)

Here is the speaker in place:

The factory door panel fits back perfectly with the new 8 inch midbass. We didn't even have to cut it.

We put lots of sound dampening material all over the car. Here is the underside of the rear deck in the trunk. The back seats are folded down in this picture. You can also see the rack for the new amplifier (the black rectangle frame hanging on the underside of the rear deck)

Pretty much the whole car has this sound dampening. I'm not sure yet how many square feet has been used, but it's a lot. Hopefully this will prevent any resonance of panels when the subwoofers are installed.

Got to go for now, but I'll post some more soon.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2006

More Updates:

Another couple of days, and more sound dampening. We have gone through 2 boxes of dampening so far, approx 80 sq ft. The front and rear doors are covered, along with both the top and bottom of the rear deck, and all of the trunk surfaces including the tire well, floor and sides, and trunk lid. We still need to take down the headliner and dampen the roof.

We have installed the HRT iStreamer 12Volt on top of the Audison BitOne processor. It is the white device seen in the pic below, with the USB cable sticking out of it. We will run a long USB cable to the front armrest for my iPod to connect directly into the BitOne. The iStreamer acts as an outboard D/A converter for iPods, up to 24 bit 48kHz with zero jitter.

The underside of the rear deck has been carpeted to hide the sound dampening and the amplifier rack.

A closer look at the Audison Voce AV5.1k amplifier. This single amp will power the full system with 5 channels.

And the subwoofer baffle has been started. This is the initial frame that will support the baffle structure. This is the part that actually bolts to the frame of the car. The baffle board will bolt onto this frame to minimize the number of holes drilled into the car's metal, and to also allow for removal of the baffle if I ever need to use the folding seat pass-thru.

The baffle is made from 1" baltic birch. We chose baltic birch over the the typical 3/4" MDF for better stiffness, plus we can use standard woodworking tools.

This is the view from the back door looking in.

And here's the view from behind the car looking into the trunk.

Subwoofers should be installed and able to play by tomorrow or Thursday, I think.

The dash cam will go in last, when we have the headliner taken down.

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

Wow looks like you went balls out on this one, awesome job mate.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by subterFUSE
                      Just picked my car up from the dealer this morning. They updated my MMI software to version 0715-2. I've got Bluetooth music streaming with song info now.
                      Oh nice! I wonder if they can do that to my Q5?

Awesome pics btw, no doubt it's going to rock!

Comment

• subterFUSE
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jenks
                        Oh nice! I wonder if they can do that to my Q5?

Awesome pics btw, no doubt it's going to rock!
                        First thing, you should check which version of MMI software you have.

Go the the Setup MMI menu, and if you scroll through the options there it should tell you the version info. The latest version I'm aware of is 0715-2.

If you have a lower version than 0715, I would suggest telling the dealership you are having some of the known issues that the update fixes. For example, my stereo was making a loud popping noise as if a rock hit the windshield.

When I asked them to update just because I wanted it, they didn't do it. But when I gave them a specific problem, they complied.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Nov 2006

Wow looks like you went balls out on this one, awesome job mate.
                          Yes, the danglies are flapping in the breeze....

I'm going skiing for a week, so the next update should be with a fully completed system.... with dash cam (which is the focal point of this thread).

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

Thanks for the dealer tips, will investigate and manipulate accordingly.

Where you skiing? Just got back last night from skiing in Vancouver.

Comment

• floridaorange
                              I'm merely a humble butler
                              • Dec 2005

Jerks and Subter are kind of big deals

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• subterFUSE
                                Gold Gabber
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jenks
                                Thanks for the dealer tips, will investigate and manipulate accordingly.

Where you skiing? Just got back last night from skiing in Vancouver.
                                Jackson Hole.

Comment

Working...