Clear All
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

Yes. They are listening.

Ctrl C. Ctrl V.

Wiretaps in U.S. jump 19 percent in 2004

No request was turned by judges, records show

Thursday, April 28, 2005 Posted: 11:55 AM EDT (1555 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of secret court-authorized wiretaps across the country surged by 19 percent last year, according to court records which also showed that not a single application was denied.

State and federal judges approved 1,710 applications for wiretaps of wire, oral or electronic communications last year, and four states -- New York, California, New Jersey and Florida -- accounted for three out of every four surveillance orders, according to the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.

That agency is required to collect the figures and report them to Congress.

The numbers, released Thursday, do not include court orders for terror-related investigations under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which reached a record 1,754 warrants last year, according to the Justice Department.

In non-terrorist criminal investigations, federally-approved wiretaps increased 26 percent in a year, to 730 applications, while state judges approved 930 wiretaps, an increase of 13 percent.

Officials said most of the applications, some 1,308, were for drug investigations, while racketeering or gambling wiretaps accounted for a combined 128 wiretaps around the country.

Homicides and assaults produced 48 wiretap orders.

Most of the wiretap applications, some 1,507 wiretaps, targeted portable devices, such as cell phones and pagers.

By the end of the year, the surveillance had generated 4,506 arrests and 634 convictions based on wiretap evidence.

Federal and state judges are required to file a written report about each application within 30 days of the expiration of the court order

hesh.
    dead, yet alive.
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

Re: Yes. They are listening.

I did not post this here. :?
    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• picklemonkey
      Double hoodie beer monster
      • Jun 2004

that's a lot of wire taps... at least they're not using it to find out who I'm buying home insurance from

Comment

• skahound
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • Jun 2004

The Feds are a bunch of jagoffs.
        A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• shosh
          Banned
          • Jun 2004

reminds me of fuckin communism

Comment

• neoee
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Be thankful they are actually making court requests and not just performing them under The Patriot Act?.
            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• skahound
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neoee
              Be thankful they are actually making court requests and not just performing them under The Patriot Act?.
              I'll bet the number becomes drastically inflated if there was a way to calculate it including those that fall under TPA.
              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• Morgan
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

No need to worry!

I'm sure you all trust your goverment to do the right thing.
                "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• evangelion
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Nothing to hide = nothing to worry about.

1,507 wiretaps = 4,506 arrests and 634 convictions. Sounds like progress to me.

Comment

Working...