X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

lens thread

so what are your fav lenses and lens brands, and for what use?

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Illuminate
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Aug 2009

Re: lens thread

Canon: 18-135 (f 3.5-5.6), use this for just a everyday use lens. Suits most situations apart from night, portraits, and anything significantly landscape based.

Canon: 24-70 (f2.8 ) used for portraiture, and anything mainly at a soft ficus range. This lens is superb when you want to see things within your normal eye range, and has an excellent controllable depth of field.

Those are my main two lenses. I use to have a 50 at 1.4 but had sold that out to buy the 24-70. Some fish eyes I’ve played with but never really found a fancy in them, also with the macros. Not really was my cup of tea.

Also, use the Canon 580 EX speedlite for the flash. Always with my bus ticket stuck on the edge for further whitening. Got this on a good offer from Ebay. Very proud of the capabilities of this flash.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
    Sbando
    - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
    Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
    Bob
    "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
    the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
    KiwiTollway

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

Let's talk about the 50 1.4. I have that lens now, I'm not sure if it's me who doesn't know how to use it to its full capability yet or if it's the lens but it is a Sigma. It has really solid reviews > the canon version. It just needs tweaking in post. I like it for outdoor - lowlight use. I think I need to adjust the custom whit balance for indoor use. Can I just use a white sheet of paper?

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Illuminate
        Canon: 18-135 (f 3.5-5.6), use this for just a everyday use lens. Suits most situations apart from night, portraits, and anything significantly landscape based.
        I like the specs a lot for this lens and want to try it out. It's 5 yrs old now, is there a newer version of it that you have your eye on or would you buy this lens again given what you know from experience?

what would you pay for a used one? Canon EF-S 18-135 mm

And can you post some sample photos from this lens?

Comment

• Illuminate
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Aug 2009

On the 50:
          The 50 is a great eye view lens as I mentioned. It is a little tricky to play with at first as the sensor is unconditioned to smaller lenses pending on the f-stop. I'd again suggest a lens hood if it is available for the sigma (e.g. Sigma LH550 02 Lens Hood FOR Sigma 50mm F2 8 EX Macro EX DG Macro | eBay) I also heard the 70mm fits as well.
          White balance can be immediately eradicated by the hood, however I'd also suggest that getting back to basics of the exposure composition suited for your flash, again your ISO is crucial for this.

With speaking to many photographers about modern digital cameras, I also agree that the problem many photographers lie within their 'perfect' photos is actually seeing what they have accurately produced. You start with the LCD screen you first see your first shot on, then move do your monitor, which of all may be not truly calibrated to resemble the true colours you intended to capture. Bar it post or no post, finally capturing your print, you seem almost inaccurately depicted as this is not what you wanted. There is a dilemma on how much technology you use for a purpose, unfortunately.

On the 18-135:
          I'd highly recommend this lens. Be it 10 years old, if you have found a quality product I always see that these things are irreplaceable. Yes I would purchase a second hand lens, but I always ask for two things if I purchase them online. One, being taking a photo of today's paper or date/time on a external source with the lens, and also including all metadata available attached to the photo. But personally seeing the lens first-hand is always beneficial as you can see the actual condition and have a feel of the aesthetics and comfort for your usage.

Here's an example of the capabilities of the 18-135, this has had no post processing, no filters, and only suited to manual exposure compositions:

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
          Sbando
          - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
          Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
          Bob
          "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
          the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
          KiwiTollway

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

thanks man - ya the lens came with a hood, that's doesn't fix my white balance issue for indoor shots with my 50. my custom wb settings needed to be set for that specific environment, which was very tricky. i need a white balance card for shooting indoor photos with no natural light available. especially in the case of there being tv screens in the background, long story.... but the F-stop has helped me with this lens a lot, I was shooting with the Fstop way too low which was causing the blur. I still don't love that I have to edit the photos in post to get the photos to pop, but of course diff lenses are diff. my 85 mm produces such beautiful photos, it kind of spoils me when using other lenses. I would never buy a used lens without trying it out first. I'm really want to upgrade cameras too . I feel like my biz would really take off if I had a 5D Mk ii

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

85mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.4L, 50mm 1.2L, 200mm 2.8L, 16-24 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• floridaorange
                    • Dec 2005

one day I'll have those^ but for now, I have a hard time imagining spending $1,000's on lenses.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

Totally. It has taken me some time. The lenses are where the investments are, not the body.
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

investments alright, how much have you spent? how do you justify the price? or do you make your money back fairly quickly? also, did you try them all out for a few days first, or just buy? im getting there though... although I hear my 85 1.8 is just as sharp as the 85L series, if not sharper? what body do you use btw?

Comment

• asdf_admin
                          i use to be important
                          • Jun 2004

I have three bodies, 40D, 6D and a 5D Mark III. About 10 G's in for lenses. No, I have not made my money back quickly, it is a long term investment, no day trader here.

I think the 85 1.2L is a lot sharper, esp when opened all the way. Probably the sharpest lens I have. For any lens purchase I have used them quite extensively. If you are interested, I would recommend borrow lenses. They do an excellent job, and rental prices are reasonable.
                          dead, yet alive.

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Damn bro, you have roughly $16,000 worth of gear! That is quite the collection of bodies too. I have a 7d and 85 1.8, I shoot almost daily, headshots and comp cards. I like the crop body for what I do, I would however like an L series lens, but I do plan on renting first. I don't like the 25 min 1 way commute the lens depot closest to my house though . Do you use your 6D? Or is it just for backup?

Post a pic of your lenses just for the hell of it

Comment

Working...