Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SyntaxTerror
    • Jun 2004

Things I just don't 'get'

Over the years there's been certain big things in progressive house I've simply never understood why they get the attention they receive. Any else have this problem? Don't get my wrong I love my prog house, am pretty passionate about it and think I know a thing or two about what makes a top song, but there's some around that in my eyes don't deserve the praise they get. I thought about this in the pub last night, but most of my examples have escaped me now.

Here's some recent ones I can remember, what are some of yours? Maybe we oculd help each other out and explain the phenomenom!

Chable & Bonnici - Ride This song has the ability to send me running and screaming from a room the second I hear it. I just don't get why it's liked so much :S

Lonestar - New Kicks Not as annoying as Ride but still sounds like a normal song to me, nothing special about it

Tijuana - Groove is in the air .

Before you pay me out I know they're most likely good songs or whatever, I just never got them :S

Feel free to add dj mixes or albums to this list.
    "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: Things I just don't 'get'

Originally posted by SyntaxTerror
    Lonestar - New Kicks Not as annoying as Ride but still sounds like a normal song to me, nothing special about it
    For fear of sounding pretentious I'll say this: 'New Kicks' is a wonderfully immersive song. Would it go down big on a dance floor? Maybe not all of the time. But if you listen to Digg's Beirut set you can hear people screaming during the track so it must've been a hit that night. I read somewhere about a lot of music these days being 2-dimensional and this track for me is the epitomy of a 3-dimensional track.

All-in-all it boils down to opinion. Some of the tracks that I find to be perfect, you might hate and vice-versa. Thank God that we all don't like the same things. What a boring place we'd live in.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
      • Jun 2004

Yeah I get the whole 'immersion' thing, but one of the reason I never quite liked New Kicks is because I found it was aiming for that whole immersion thing, but I found it lingered too long in a pretty shallow immersion.

But as you say, different strokes for different folks. Thank God everyone has different tastes, the human race gets treated to such an amazing array of music and for that I'm forever grateful!
      "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Pataky P
        asdf_imo
        • Jun 2004

This is very intresting...

Comment

• Yao
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

Well, 'the ride' never did it for me either, but on the other hand 'groove is in the air' still works for me...so yes, it all comes down to personal taste. It happens more often tho, that I don't really feel tracks that are seriously being hammered.
          Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• hypoluxxa
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

The first time I heard Tijuana "Groove is in the Air" was @ The Mayan while Diggers was doing his G.U. shows for the yet unreleased Lon Angeles. CD. So for me that track is pure magic. Many of us felt like there were sheets of metal flying over our heads, the first time we heard that track.

Comment

• rewing3
              I really don't care
              • Jun 2004

I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. The Tijuana track I like that track when I here. There is something magical about but the ride why that become so popular who knows. Different tast I guess. That is what makes life great. Just enjoy while can.
              Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

Marketing and having the big names play out stuff will explain quickly why a track becomes popular (see "Ride")

I've also heard tracks on mix CD's done by bigger names that I thought were horrible as well, but they must have paid the right bucks to get it on there....

Ultimately though, personal taste dicates the market...if it's not selling too well, hmm gee maybe no one likes it
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• harry ramsden
                  Wanna play sudoko with me?
                  • Jun 2004

i never never understood why everyone was playing that tiefschwarz mix of spektrum - kinda new. To me that is a typical example of someone trying to be "hip" and have "diverse tastes" by saying its great, then everyone else played follow the leader. :?

oh and kylie minogue too. she's fuckin mingin.

Comment

• Slim
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

bedrock - emerald or

tom mangan - chutney

both tracks hammered by diggers that i never got
                    "just when i think i'm out, they...pull me back in"

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                      • Jun 2004

Prolly cos its in his best interest to pimp releases on Bedrock records as hard as possible.

Comment

• Kinetic
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Interesting topic.

I?m not too crazy about "Ride" or the Tijuana track, I?ll agree there.

As for "New Kicks", I really like it and everyone I know that has heard it goes crazy about it. Yet, it?s a very simple song structurally and with just a basic set of sounds...looking at it?s "skeleton", it?s not a lot more than some hugely compressed and layered kick drums, some sub-bass, and lots of constantly filtered hats and snares...it?s a repetitive pattern of build-ups and breakdowns.

Nothing too special, yet it works devastatingly well. Sometimes simple is better, I guess. I bet if someone tried to emulate it, it wouldn?t have any success at all.
                        "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                        http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• BSully828
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

A recent one for me would be that remix of Pump Up The Jam that tore up the WMC. Apparently that had crowds going wild left and right but for me it was the definition of bspf - unnecessarily long with build ups to no where. Almost everyone I talked to who heard that track out raved about it, but I just didn?t get I guess.
                          Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
                          a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• chemicalbeavis
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Pataky P?l
                            This is very intresting...

yes, YES, YES!!!

Comment

• chemicalbeavis
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by harry ramsden
                              i never never understood why everyone was playing that tiefschwarz mix of spektrum - kinda new. To me that is a typical example of someone trying to be "hip" and have "diverse tastes" by saying its great, then everyone else played follow the leader. :?

oh and kylie minogue too. she's fuckin mingin.

I genuinely love that track, raw and full of power imo, agree on the Minogue thing though, shes a hound!

Comment

Working...