X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Films To Discuss with Highsteppa

So by now I've realized that HS screens just about most of the films I'm interested in seeing, so rather than start a thread for each film to hear his reviews, which I have come to value over the years, that's what this thread is for.

Would like to to hear your thoughts on "Inherent Vice" and "Birdman," at your leisure. And "Fury" too actually.

big thanks in advance. I intend to go to the theater and see the films partially based on your input .

And really this thread is for anyone who has seen any movies I've listed, just especially HS
    Last edited by floridaorange; December 10, 2014, 12:45:57 AM.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Krystyan
    Platinum Poster
    • Oct 2004

Re: Films To Discuss with Highsteppa

I saw Fury last week. You feel like it's going to be a huge movie, but for me, in the end it doesn't delivery. The story vanishes after the middle...

The performances are rock solid. Not just Pitt's but also Lebouf's and the kid, Logan Lerman. I think he's great. I had already liked what he did in The Perks of being a wallflower.
    https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

^good to know, it's not a film I'm really that interested in seeing, but heard some strong reviews. I heard today from a reputable source/filmmaker that "The One-Hundred Foot Journey" is the film to see. Movie poster looks otherwise but I trust this guys opinion so.

Comment

• Krystyan
        Platinum Poster
        • Oct 2004

i'm really intrigued by Birdman. It opens end of January here.
        https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Inherent Vice - it's a tough nut to crack - seems rambling at nearly 2.5 hours, tons of surprise cameos and the weed haze induced tone gives it a very The Big Lebowski vibe to it, but done as a semi-straight detective story. It's really good, it really captures the early 70's time period very well, with the hippy movement in regression, Vietnam in full bore and Nixon running the White House, making everyone feel very paranoid and jumpy. I do recommend it, but I do think it's going to please people who like PT Anderson's other films (like Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood and The Master).

Birdman reminded me a lot of Gravity with the really long takes (in this case, you're given the illusion that the whole movie is a single take), and playing around with the meta-ness of Michael Keaton's career. Very similar in the idea to Being John Malkovich, but being slightly removed. It is more of an in-joke about the nature of celebrity and how difficult it can be to manage one's own career in show-business - including how your entire career can be defined by a single role. I'd recommend it for the people who might have enjoyed movies about show business like The Player or Adaptation.
          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• nick007
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Oct 2007

100 foot journey is a legend movie the whole family enjoyed it and the acting is superb

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

^right on Nick , sounds good

thanks for the info - interesting stuff as usual, i keep forgetting that IV is a PTA film... so I'll be seeing it no matter what, his other films are brilliant.

wanted to also ask about "The Theory of Everything" and "100 Foot Journey." so many films, so little time :/

Comment

Working...