X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Sony

I remember being at a movie and seeing a preview for the film about assassinating Kim Jong.... my first response was "why?" I know he's a bad person who does horrendous things to his people, so the "why" had nothing to do with that. I just found the whole idea terrible disrespectful of the entire country of North Korea, regardless of how backwards they are, and how terrible Kim Jong is. "What good could come of making a film like that? "I thought. If anything, the film could provoke something terrible against the US. It just seemed incredibly immature, and frankly inappropriate.

Which brings us to today, Sony is undergoing a PR nightmare, with emails being leaked about major A-listers, and even the President. Who knows what else the hackers were able to get.

Stupid Sony.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • go0gle
    Platinum Poster
    • Jan 2007

Re: Sony

You know.. every time I read one of those stories about them being hacked I think of this

Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how they lied over and over again, and non of the people who did this were held responsible, so to be honest... I really don't care what happens to them.

And.. besides Fury, their movies have been shit lately

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

This isn't something that is just relegated to Sony - there's tons of e-mails and dialogues like what transpired from Scott Rudin's e-mails that are just as bad or worse at any other studio - the stuff that Harvey Weinstein was rumored to have said or Joel Silver makes Scott Rudin's stuff seem kind of tone deaf and petty by comparison.

You're dealing with a lot of creative types with huge egos and access to insane amounts of money. Crazy shit is going to ensue in that kind of environment - and similar shit is par for the course in the film/entertainment industry. This leak is more the work of a disgruntled employee who probably got let go when they did the huge cutbacks not that long ago who probably got in contact with some hackers that could do the job for him (or possibly sold the information to them, as the group - Guardians of the Peace - were trying to blackmail Sony into paying them for not releasing the info).

The Interview movie has been kicking around for some time - it was supposed to be about Kim Jong Il, but when he died, they re-wrote it and replaced him with Kim Jong Un. They were pretty much banking on Seth Rogen and James Franco's bankability on name recognition and success with Pineapple Express and This Is The End (which I'm hearing The Interview doesn't even come close to approaching)

I do find three things amusing about this - one being that Sony is more dismayed by the lack of interest in downloading Annie illegally than they were than the leaked torrent itself, the idea of how awkward a meeting will be between the guy and the girl who do the same job and she's getting $1 million dollars less than him, and finally the internal feedback where employees universally were saying how they really don't want to make another Adam Sandler movie.

If they can stop Adam Sandler from making more shitty movies or him making a movie around his vacations (ie. Grown Ups 1 and 2, Blended) - there is some good that can come from this.
      Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

Any opinion on an American movie being based on assassinating a current living foreign country leader?

Comment

• floridaorange
          • Dec 2005

Fao Hs: Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11 Attack on Movie Theaters That Screen | Variety

Comment

• go0gle
            Platinum Poster
            • Jan 2007

Some news sites out there are getting a bit carried away.. here's a good article on that

The ethics of hacked email and otherwise ill-gotten information | Poynter.

Comment

Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
              Any opinion on an American movie being based on assassinating a current living foreign country leader?
              Not really - saying that this particular film is some kind of offensive fantasy might want to look at their own entertainment propaganda films themselves. Most film goers don't bat an eye at any kind of film where there's mass death or murder occurring onscreen, including countless depictions of vigilantism that's justified by some pretty twisted moral reasoning. That, and some extremely broad stereotypes when it comes to depicting a villain in a movie has been going on for years. The Interview is more of the same, played for laughs.

I'm simply happy that these fucking idiots that are behind the scenes are being called out for their shitty behavior - a good chunk of them are really awful human beings that are cowards when they get called out on their own shit.
              Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

the 'hackers' have made safety threats now. Seems like an unwise move. Surely FBI will now be on their case.
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
                  Not really - saying that this particular film is some kind of offensive fantasy might want to look at their own entertainment propaganda films themselves. Most film goers don't bat an eye at any kind of film where there's mass death or murder occurring onscreen, including countless depictions of vigilantism that's justified by some pretty twisted moral reasoning. That, and some extremely broad stereotypes when it comes to depicting a villain in a movie has been going on for years. The Interview is more of the same, played for laughs.

I hear what youre saying and appreciate the response... in my mind given the sour relationship the US has with NK I find the films theme inappropriate politically, super cheap and unnecessary. From a political perspective, it's not right. And there could be real consequences. Especially given how different the NK culture is from any other. It could easily be misunderstood as political propaganda. That's just how I see it, but I see what you are saying too.

Comment

• go0gle
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jan 2007

I guess its working

The Sony hackers won: The Interview just disappeared from Americas biggest theater chains | The Verge

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                      Anyone have Styx livesets?
                      • Jun 2004

they pulled the whole thing! BBC News - Sony cancels The Interview release amid threats
                      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

Good - it was poor form any way you slice it. I was shocked by the trailer

Comment

Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                          Awesome, so now they've guaranteed VOD and DVD sales. Tagline: "This is the movie North Korea didn't want you to see!"

I'm kind of surprised that the FBI is saying they're certain this is caused by North Korea - partly on the basis of the virus attack being almost an exact copy of the attack that happened in South Korea's bank and media sectors. I really didn't think NK had this kind of capability (and wouldn't be surprised if they're "outsourcing" the attacks through Russian or Chinese services).

Again, a lot the material is pretty damaging financially, but it still comes off to me as being a disgruntled employee with an axe to grind considering the data released - executive salaries, internal e-mails and some pretty specific things.

Comment

Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

A good article illustrating the timeline of the Sony hack, and why the NK angle is likely bullshit:

Today Sony canceled the premiere of “The Interview” and its entire Christmas-Day release of the movie because of fears that terrorists might attack theaters showing the film. The actions show just how much power the attackers behind the Sony hack have amassed in a short time. But who exactly are they? 1 The New York […]

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
                              A good article illustrating the timeline of the Sony hack, and why the NK angle is likely bullshit:

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/evidenc...-hack-is-thin/
                              Distinguishing between all of these can be impossible unless you’re an intelligence agency like the NSA, with vast reach into computers around the world, and can uncover evidence about attribution in ways that law enforcement agents legally cannot.
                              does this mean that the NSA can find who is responsible?

Comment

Working...