• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Is gaming a good substitution?

... for sports, when it comes to kids?

I think not, but we've all seen the huge movement from outdoor activities to computer games. Would you suggest to your kids to keep sitting there and playing games on a screen or get outside? My son is only 3 so it doesn't really apply to us. YET.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • KiwiTollway
    Platinum Poster
    • Jan 2014

Re: Is gaming a good substitution?

no, absolutely not. not suggest computer games, you limit them

my kids played sports, the one who didn't like them swam, grew a garden & went to science summer camp, girl scout camping, etc. but they've always had computers. They also took dance lessons, played on teams, played in the band, sang in the choir, and were always outside in the backyard on the swings, playing in the sprinkler, out at the park, in our playhouse, made forts, climbed trees, biking, scooters went everywhere, inline skating, etc ....... kids need to move & connect with nature, imo. don't know about the 'huge movement' you're referring to.

Comment

• ddr
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

i would agree.. not a 100% substitute but rather another tool to add to the mix with limitations.

parents these days (at least American ones) are too hovering. sitting them in front of a TV or a computer.. ie: keeping them inside, only furthers this. kids need to be outside, connect with nature, play in teams, connect with people in-person, builds character as well as responsibility and empathy.

there are some benefits to gaming, hand-eye coordination, quick thinking, but other than that not a lot to be honest.. at least in my opinion. (i was a gamer since 1990's Nintendo all the way through to World of Warcraft during college--the game that opened my eyes and freed me.. now i dont game at all. its lovely.)

nothing helps a kid learn more than letting them be on their own and learn mistakes on their own.

wow.. and this was my 5,000th post. i feel like im growing.
      "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• KiwiTollway
        Platinum Poster
        • Jan 2014

^ congrats ddr lol

one of my daughters introduced me to Criminal Case and I've been playing lately for fun. At level 36 and have 2 cute police dogs now. ... also still play Words With Friends. Something to do while waiting in waiting rooms.

nothing wrong with a little gaming now & then, it's when it becomes a lifestyle/obsession that's worrisome. Although if it helps get a kid through high school and feel connected with something & others, not all bad then.

Comment

• Alpinevpr
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

IMO I think there needs to be a balance of both if that is something the child is interested in.

If you get so involved in any sport where it becomes an obsession and takes over life/thinking then it's just as bad as not showering/going outside for a week cause you need to get that new sword in World of Warcraft.

I agree with ddr though. I still game with my wife and solo, but I don't vege out in front of my computer or TV for days at a time.

As for sports...in any given year how many professional sports players are there compared to those kids/young adults in sports? To pull a statistic completely out of my ass, I thought I heard that 1% of high school students actually make the professionals.I don't know if that is still/was true or not.Sports is a great extra curricular activity, but as far as life goes, emphasis should be put on education.

The sad part of this after I've typed that semi novel is it really depends on the kid. You could have a kid that gives 2 shits about gaming and only sports and another that is opposite. I'd say do what is best for your child in your situation. No one is a better parent then you! Of course suggestions are great to have, but none of us here at [ms] know what you and your child go through on the daily.

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

I don't know about kids but for workaholic adults who are single and also chord-cutters, it's a god-send to kill time in the evenings.
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• go0gle
              Platinum Poster
              • Jan 2007

There are video games out there that border real sports when it comes go hand-eye coordination and intellectual engagement..

I think a mix of the two would be a good thing as they develop different abilities.

Here, this is good

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

Ahh thanks man that's interesting - will check it out

Comment

• Rave Lizard
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by floridaorange
                  ... for sports, when it comes to kids?

I think not, but we've all seen the huge movement from outdoor activities to computer games. Would you suggest to your kids to keep sitting there and playing games on a screen or get outside? My son is only 3 so it doesn't really apply to us. YET.
                  While their parents spend their days spamming forums at 40 second intervals with pathetic pictures, that are copy and pasted from picture websites, in order to boost post counts. It does apply to you! helmet.

Comment

• ♫♫♫♫♫♫
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by go0gle
                    There are video games out there that border real sports when it comes go hand-eye coordination and intellectual engagement..

I think a mix of the two would be a good thing as they develop different abilities.

Is this like the "this is what a brain looks like on drugs" thing?

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

A) he takes naps and is bed by 8:30pm.

b) I spend as little time here as possible when I am on here.

c) pound sand

Comment

• tunito
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2008

It depends very much which games, there's shallow and deep games, strategies are good to play, but honestly i think sport is best thing > all
                        Don't confuse the conception "House" with the genre.

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Substitution for sports? No way. I see it more being more like a substitution for playing board games and sometimes a helpful learning tool.
                          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• Squire
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by KiwiTollway
                            ^ congrats ddr lol

one of my daughters introduced me to Criminal Case and I've been playing lately for fun. At level 36 and have 2 cute police dogs now. ... also still play Words With Friends. Something to do while waiting in waiting rooms.

nothing wrong with a little gaming now & then, it's when it becomes a lifestyle/obsession that's worrisome. Although if it helps get a kid through high school and feel connected with something & others, not all bad then.
                            I have also seen it become a escape from emotion , physiological condition a way to a\switch off. It never resolves the issue at hand though. Kids need to be outside, especially because playing outside allows you to expand your imagination and ways of thinking. Computer games not so much in opinion especially lately when i look at today games its like a movie you find the boss a cinematic plays you mash the buttons they tell you to mash you win. You dont get to plot a strategy figure out sequences so even the little thinking element that games used to offer is quickly dissapearing. People dont want that they want mind numbing stuff to escape.

When you are constantly escaping your problem,s you are not dealing with them. To me there is no debate on this you can see the evendence of the damage it has caused to generations in many areas of society today,

Comment

Working...