• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kamal
    Administrator
    • May 2002

Megathread
    The Wine Megathread

I know we've posted similar threads in the past but since there are so many brands and new ones coming up, thought it best to start and sticky a megathread with your favorite reds, whites, and prices for those who enjoy it.

I just discovered this one this past weekend, it was $15,99 / bottle at whole foods but I discovered it for $10.99 online. Truly fantastic red, great body, texture, and goes down real well.

4192[1].jpg
    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
    Originally posted by ace_dl
    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: The Wine Megathread

Bookmark this and get the app.

https://www.lastbottlewines.com

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

Thanks Jenks, btw do you know of any good wine clubs to join? I'm a bargain hunter (please don't read that as cheap because that I am not) and I would love to get on a list and buy a case or two every month.
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

Rather than a club where someone sends you wine they like (who knows if you two have the same palate?) maybe find a winery you like and join to receive their selections, tho I still prefer to select on my own. I've used a local shop and LastBottle to build the majority of my cellar. I've been going to the same local shop for over a decade- they know my style and are quick to point out an under the radar wine they know i'd like- then I try one, and buy a half case or so. Similarly with LastBottle- when a wine pops up I think I might be interested in, I use Cellartracker for tasting notes, WineSearcher for price comparison, and snag killer deals. Last year I bought a half case of 2009 Gilles-Robin Hermitage on LastBottle for $39 a piece. I've tried to track more down recently because it's so damn good, but it's rarely under $100 per now.

Comment

• Krystyan
          Platinum Poster
          • Oct 2004

what types of wines do you drink and from where?
          california, chile, argentina, australia?
          https://www.facebook.com/YEGworld

Comment

• Micko
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Oct 2004

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Started off with New World wines some years back and have now started to explore Old World - currently enjoying Spanish and Italian.

I buy my wines from a great little wine shop in Skerries, Dublin called Red Island Wine.

I'm a sucker for a big Shiraz or Malbec - bigger the better

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

Root 1 - their cab/merlot blend is a great value

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

Originally posted by Krystyan
                what types of wines do you drink and from where?
                california, chile, argentina, australia?
                I've tried Wines from all over the world but the success rate of hitting a great wine is the most if you get any Californian wine. They've got it down to an art.
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• KiwiTollway
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jan 2014

Good/funny memories of the last time we discussed wine

Thanks for this thread Kamal; I'll be watching.

Comment

• Jenks
                    I'm kind of a big deal.
                    • Jun 2004

Nice little vintage resource:

Vintage Chart

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

Now that i'm drinking a glass of wine, i'll put some time into this thread.

Biggest standout lately- All of the '12 Willamette Valley Pinots!! Outstanding vintage for the terroir. With cooler climate Oregon and Washington, it's key to check the vintage conditions as some years are tricky if there isn't enough sun during the growing season. 2012 was legendary. Snatch em up!

Every vineyard from Oregon's Evesham Wood is bangin from $30+

Always great, Bethel Heights, all vineyards:

Same with Penner-Ash, who aside from Pinot also makes a stellar Syrah:

Evesham Woods sister project, Haden Fig, really nice Oregon pinot in the $20s:

And now that summer is hear, keep an eye out for Haden Fig's Rosé from Pinot Gris

Great little sub $20 goto from Tuscany:

While we're in Italy- love this Salice Salentino from Puglia in the bootheal, a freaking steal sub $15-

France:

All day long bargains in CDR. Look at the importers on the back of the bottle, namely Kacher and Weygant.

CDP's better and cheaper little neighbor? Gigondas:

Easily found on most wine shop shelves for a hair under $40 is a great example from the terroir that is great every year and smokes more expensive CDPs-

Wine buying tip- if you don't know what you're looking at, flip the bottle around and check the importer. You can always count on Peter Weygant, Robert Kacher, and Kermit Lynch, especially for French wines. For broader regions, check Neal Rosenthal for French, Spanish and Italian wines, Eric Solomon from European Cellars who has an incredible palate for Spanish wines, and Marc De Grazia for Italian gems.

Comment

• ddr
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

i love me some Oregon Pinot

just opened this after sitting in the dark for over 5 years... have one more

probably one of the most expensive bottles of wine i will ever own. i was a member of their tower club membership for about 6-years, they send 4 bottles of limited editions and single vineyards (mostly reds with some white) to this level quarterly. i really need to rejoin lol
                        "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Kamal
                          Administrator
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by Jenks
                          Wine buying tip- if you don't know what you're looking at, flip the bottle around and check the importer. You can always count on Peter Weygant, Robert Kacher, and Kermit Lynch, especially for French wines. For broader regions, check Neal Rosenthal for French, Spanish and Italian wines, Eric Solomon from European Cellars who has an incredible palate for Spanish wines, and Marc De Grazia for Italian gems.
                          Nice, I have had very little luck from experimenting with Spanish Wines, a few French were hit or miss, I love the Shiraz from Rosemount Estates in Australia and that is my fav international wine. It's full body like you wouldn't believe it and it goes so well with a spicy curry dinner, just blends in the flavor. A pretty good steal at $8.99

10126010[1].jpg
                          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                            I love the Shiraz from Rosemount Estates in California
                            Rosemount is from Australia

If you like that style, you'll like most Australian reds, as nearly all of them possess super extracted fruit due to the hot climate.

Other wines you'd probably like if you like that style- Zin and nearly all wines from Paso Robles and lower elevation reds from Sonoma, Napa, etc.

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

I meant Australia, I had cali's on the mind.
                              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

Working...