X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zover
    Banned
    • Mar 2014

GU41 Naples

I really don't see the point in doing mix CD's anymore.

Global Underground returns with the worlds first super deluxe DJ mix package - Decoded Magazine

Global Underground returns with the world’s first super deluxe DJ mix package

Global Underground (GU) has returned under the ownership of one of its original founders, Andy Horsfield. The iconic British label’s series of DJ mix albums from the likes of Sasha, Solomun, Carl Cox, and many more, helped define electronic music culture from the mid 1990s onwards and symbolised the explosion of international dance music. Featuring beautifully shot photography and extensive sleevenotes, the album releases have become collectors’ items, with many currently exchanged for significant sums online.

The label returns with GU41 Naples- James Lavelle Presents UNKLESOUNDS on 30 October. The album will be available in GU’s new ‘Super-Deluxe DJ Mix Package’ format – a world first – alongside traditional physical and digital formats.

The ‘Super Deluxe’ Collectors package will include a 112 Page “Napoli Travelogue” Hard Back Travel Book featuring the stunning photography of Dean Belcher, alongside the deluxe version of the CD, a collection of Travel Postcards, all enclosed in a bespoke Red GU Box. James Lavelle’s Naples Mix features a plethora of exclusive new UNKLE material alongside album exclusive UNKLE remixes of artists as broad as Queens of The Stoneage, Mark Lanegan Band through to Naples legends, Planet Funk.

The latest instalment of GU’s Electric Calm series has just been released. The relaunched Global Underground | website offers a direct to fan retail platform, offering all current releases and a new range of exclusive GU Merchandise

The GU ‘Cities’ series was the first to put DJs on album covers and helped propel many of those featured to international acclaim. Global Underground also broke new ground by visiting worldwide destinations and putting a spotlight on their nascent club scenes, at a time when international dance music was pocketed across a handful of territories.

Global Underground’s high-profile media campaigns reached beyond international dance media, and the label were the first to get DJs like John Digweed into the Los Angeles Times, or Sasha into the UK edition of The Times. Global Underground’s first DVD featured over two hours of international footage, including a documentary filmed for Channel 4 that reached over 2 million viewers when it was originally broadcast in 2000.

ANDY HORSFIELD, GLOBAL UNDERGROUND FOUNDER & OWNER SAID:

“I’m really excited to be back at the helm of GU and looking forward to an exciting future for Global Underground and our artists. “
    “GU has always done things differently – it’s what we do and what we’ve built the label’s reputation upon. Amazing timeless mixes by the world’s best DJs is a given, but we’ve always put a huge amount of time and effort into the album series with stunning photography and extensive sleeve notes – that’s why they’ve become so collectable, with previous Limited Editions now selling for a premium online.”
    “At a time when there’s a deluge of mediocre and disposable online DJ mixes its important for me to be able to give our artists an exciting and dynamic platform for their releases. We’re thrilled to present the world’s first ever Super-Deluxe DJ Mix Package with #GU41 James Lavelle’s Naples mix album. Naples will be available in our new Super-Deluxe Collector’s Package alongside traditional deluxe CD and digital formats”
  • sbando
    Going back to Romford
    • Apr 2008

Re: GU41 Naples

James Lavelle... No, thank you. Fuck those who let Renaissance go bankrupt and let this pointless brand around. James Lavelle couldn't mix with a gun in his nostril. And his relevance equals 0 .
    ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
    ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
    ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*
    ╚══`.¸. ...:::.(¯`•\|/•´¯) ☆*゚

Comment

• Rave Lizard
      Banned
      • Feb 2015

I can't imagine there is much money in mix cd's anymore. A single disc with no overheads like expensive, DJ's, photography or packaging, may make a small profit. They are certainly not going to get pulled out every weekend at a party for 12 months anymore.

Comment

• diegoff
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

James Lavelle???? boooooooooo
        It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
        Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
        May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• trick12
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jul 2007

lets hope he gets charlie in on this
          Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
            Anyone have Styx livesets?
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by diegoff
            James Lavelle???? boooooooooo
            I do see the point of mix cds.
            I do not see the point of having James Lavelle as your lead off!!
            ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

If the mix cd is quality and unique then great, and I do actually think Lavelle could be capable of something unique. Whether I like it or not, will have to wait and see. What's the date on this? Post a preview mix when and if there is one please. All I'm saying is, I'm open to it being good.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• sbando
                Going back to Romford
                • Apr 2008

When has Lavelle the DJ been quality? The Cream 2 mix, where it was somebody else mixing for him.

Anyway: let the GU brand die once and for all! Why bring back the travelogue? Who cares anymore?

It is true though that Sasha is still under contract with MOS (not 100% sure about it). After the turd that was Involv3r they could bring him back for a GU:City.
                ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

• tiddles
                  Encryption, Jr.
                  • Jun 2004

I just hope this means they'll get the whole catalogue on iTunes.

Comment

• klangfabrik
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2009

Lavelle did a good job with his fabric mix or GU 023 imo

Sasha should do a balance mix instead, after having tenaglia and cattaneo, sasha has to be a realistic option for them me thinks

Comment

• trick12
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by floridaorange
                      If the mix cd is quality and unique then great, and I do actually think Lavelle could be capable of something unique. Whether I like it or not, will have to wait and see. What's the date on this? Post a preview mix when and if there is one please. All I'm saying is, I'm open to it being good.

this sounded like a big fart...
                      Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• floridaorange
                        • Dec 2005

Comment

• el presidente Highsteppa
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

I don't mind Lavelle - GU23 and 26 were decent and a nice departure from the usual standard GU releases, even if it was a sign of going down some pretty questionable paths and sub-par output (looking at you Felix Da Housecat - that GU fucking sucked). Sure they weren't the prog/trance machines that previous releases were - dance music was going through a turning point. Be grateful that GU never went down the Dubstep path and jumped on that bandwagon.

I agree with the questioning why the travelogue - seems like an idea back when CDs were still selling and maybe targeted to the OCD completist market.
                          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
                            (looking at you Felix Da Housecat - that GU fucking sucked).

Be grateful that GU never went down the Dubstep path and jumped on that bandwagon.

Comment

• sbando
                              Going back to Romford
                              • Apr 2008

I hope we get more whitney Houston mash-ups!
                              ╔══╗............/\_¸_/\
                              ╚╗╔╝...........(=•_•=)
                              ╔╝(¯`v´¯).......ღ***ღ.*

Comment

Working...