• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckc
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Cannabis Legalization in the US

Just saw this article related to my state of Florida

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Nov. 2, 2015) - Two bills introduced in the Florida legislature would remove cannabis from the state's schedule of controlled substances, treating marijuana like any other plant under state law. The proposal would not only completely decriminalize marijuana in the Sunshine State, it would also take a big step toward nullifying federal cannabis prohibition

really seems to make a whole lot of sense to legalize and tax it. it is such a huge revenue generator I don't get why it has taken this long.
  • el presidente Highsteppa
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Re: Cannabis Legalization in the US

The problem is aligning the Federal laws with the State laws and dialing down the RICO act's overreach into what they consider money laundering - something they touch on in that article.

You guys will have it legal I'm guessing in 5 years across the U.S. 10 years tops.

Meanwhile, up here in Canada, our new Prime Minister is already working on legislation to legalize it. I was hoping for something more along the lines of decriminalization over legalization, but so long as they don't fuck too much with how you grow it, I'm down. We're likely to see the first bill tabled when Parliament resumes in the beginning of December.

I'm looking forward to not having to sneak around about that shit anymore.
    Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

His newest incarnation this week:♫♫♫♫♫♫

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

Well that will be good if it does pass, but similar to HS, I honestly don't see it happening for at least another 3 - 5 yrs in Florida. In California you can legally grow 100 plants in Santa Cruz where a friend of mine lives... and if you grow more than that, they just take whatever you have over 100 plants.... up there and in Colorado, they have weed growing down to an exact science.... you get exactly what you want in terms of how you want to feel. Meanwhile in backwards ass Florida, it's still mostly shitty weed, and people don't even know the difference between indica and setiva strands for the most part . It's hilarious, in LA there are more dispensaries than Starbucks... I don't really condone smoking a lot or anything, but I do think it helps me out periodically when I need a mental reboot.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• D.Williams
        Platinum Poster
        • Aug 2006

Thats good to hear steppa, I feel ya on this "I'm looking forward to not having to sneak around about that shit anymore." I remember visiting my friend in LA and she's like "lets smoke a bit before we go in in&out burger" Im like "Right HERE!!!?"

Comment

Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

I hear ya Williams - It's funny when you're in a state or place in the world where it's legal (or decriminalized) - takes some getting used to in being so open with smoking up after an entire lifetime of having to keep it on the downlow. It doesn't help that certain strains make me paranoid - resulting me in getting anxious over nothing and having to constantly be reminded that it's cool to smoke it in the open.

The one thing I am concerned about with this, if and when it does happen, is how they're going to deal with DUI related situations. I'm pretty strongly against driving under the influence, but I'm curious how law enforcement will handle this.

Question for Chuck and FL - isn't your state Republican governed? Won't that present a bit of an obstacle for the legalization process? Not impossible, as if you look at what happened with Colorado and Alaska, but I would think that the politics might present a bit of a problem...
          Score so far: Owned ZoverTard 8 times - twice in one week! Twice more in same weekend.

More than six months later - he's still pissed LOL - check the last visitor - guess who the last visitor is on my profile page.

Comment

Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

BTW, what the fuck is going on with Ireland? They're considering decriminalizing weed AND cocaine. Not the first place in the world that would consider putting cocaine on the menu.

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
              BTW, what the fuck is going on with Ireland? They're considering decriminalizing weed AND cocaine. Not the first place in the world that would consider putting cocaine on the menu.
              lol. there's quite a difference between decriminalizing drugs and "putting them on the menu."
              I'd like to see all drugs decriminalized, for a variety of reasons, namely more research into psychedelics- psilocybin, dmt, etc.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

Eire is decriminalizing small amounts of everything (or thats the plan).

I think the priests misinterpreted the headlines tho...
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

Basically this is where we are at in Florida.

TALLAHASSEE — As he promised, Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill on Monday that legalizes the use of a noneuphoric strain of marijuana to treat conditions such as epilepsy, Lou Gehrig's disease and cancer. He signed Senate Bill 1030, which approves the medication, nicknamed Charlotte's Web, and SB 1700, which protects the identities of the patients who use it.
                  "As a father and grandfather, you never want to see kids suffer," Scott said in a statement. "The approval of Charlotte's Web will ensure that children in Florida who suffer from seizures and other debilitating illnesses will have the medication needed to improve their quality of life."
                  The governor's office also announced today that he approved HB 697, which bans six new synthetic drugs.
                  There is still a larger medical marijuana debate going on this year in Florida. Voters will be asked in November to weigh in on Amendment 2, a much broader medical pot referendum that would legalize marijuana for a range of conditions.
                  Scott said that he personally opposes legalizing medical marijuana and the ballot initiative.
                  "I've watched drug use; I've watched alcoholism," he said during a campaign stop Monday. "I've seen how it affects families; I can't support that."
                  The Charlotte's Web bill legalizes strains of marijuana that are high in cannabidiol, or CBD, but low in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the compound that produces a high.
                  An estimated 125,000 children in Florida suffer from severe epilepsy and their families lobbied hard to persuade reluctant legislators to open the door to limited use. It also could be used by adults.
                  Authorized patients will be allowed access to the drug through oil or vapor form, but it may not be smoked.
                  If 60 percent of Florida voters approve Amendment 2, it would allow doctors to prescribe other forms of marijuana, including the kind that is smoked, to treat an even wider range of conditions.
                  The bill was amended at the ninth hour to stiffen licensing requirements so that only Florida nursery owners with businesses in operation for 30 continuous years will be allowed to grow "Charlotte's Web."
                  Florida physicians who have been authorized to order this strain of medical marijuana can start writing prescriptions Jan. 1. It will be sold through dispensaries licensed by the state Department of Health.
                  Most of the Legislature's Republican leadership opposes the rival constitutional ballot initiative, as does the Florida Sheriff's Association and the Florida Medical Association. Many speculated that the GOP-controlled Legislature agreed to pass the low-THC proposal to squash voter interest in passing the amendment, which opponents believe will lead to the total legalization of smoking marijuana, misuse and abuse.

Comment

Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Wow. Not what I was expecting from Rick Scott.

Edit: but then again, he is campaigning

Comment

Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                      lol. there's quite a difference between decriminalizing drugs and "putting them on the menu."
                      I'd like to see all drugs decriminalized, for a variety of reasons, namely more research into psychedelics- psilocybin, dmt, etc.
                      I meant it more in a figurative sense. Even with the legislation that's coming, we won't touch anything else but pot...for now.

Comment

• ddr
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

it just got legal here in Oregon a couple of months ago.. there is a shop just a couple minutes from me. problem is that they charge more than 2x the $ amount than if you still get it from your 'guy'. i have yet to visit a shop but from what some people say, it's just like going to the liquor store only with hipsters behind the counter.

im with Jenksy, legalize everything.. let people make their own decisions, however stupid they might be, back to some sense of Darwinism. military police don't like that though, lack of legalization keeps the military policing of our nation going not to mention the prison complex.
                        "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

Well looky here:

By Colleen Curry
                          November 5, 2015 | 12:50 pm

The DEA Chief Just Called Medical Marijuana a "Joke" | VICE News

Comment

• chuckc
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ddr
                            it just got legal here in Oregon a couple of months ago.. there is a shop just a couple minutes from me. problem is that they charge more than 2x the $ amount than if you still get it from your 'guy'
                            the problem for me is there is no "guy". so it would be nice to be able get a little to have once in a while.
                            2x the $$ would not bother me. especially knowing alot of the money goes to schools ect.

this is a good sign for OHIO
                            House Speaker Cliff Rosenberger, a Republican from Southwest Ohio, told reporters Wednesday that Republicans plan to take a "measured and methodical approach" to drafting and passing medical marijuana legislation.

Comment

Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ddr
                              im with Jenksy, legalize everything.. let people make their own decisions, however stupid they might be, back to some sense of Darwinism. military police don't like that though, lack of legalization keeps the military policing of our nation going not to mention the prison complex.
                              I've got a bit of mixed feelings about the "anything goes" attitude - partly because of the idea of how healthcare will be impacted by the dipshits that will take thinks to the brink habitually. Darwin or not, doctors/EMTs/paramedics will still be obliged to help said dipshits from themselves. In some cases, over and over again.

But, at the same time, part of me agrees with you - once weed becomes legal here, you'll likely see a lot of abuse at first, but hopefully moderation will kick in for most when we get past the novelty of legal weed. Part of me thinks that decriminalizing all drugs might have the same effect.

Comment

Working...