X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REDROCK
    Gold Gabber
    • Feb 2015

The Joker

Curious to hear what everyones opinions are on this film? Was it a hit or was it a miss?
    Back when a club was a club full of dancers and dove's.
  • diegoff
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: The Joker

I think I´m saturated about superheros/villains movies.... All the Marvel universe, 20 re editions of Batman and Superman, all the spin-offs... I won´t see it, and I don´t think is good enough because there´s too much promotion about The Joker.
    I love movies, but all these main stream releases make me take some distance (and all the Netflix´ series). I know the promotors won´t miss me... hehehehe... but I won´t give my time on this one.

PS: Sorry I went off the thread
    It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

its deep dark and twisted and a must see.

first third kinda rambles on, but you have to see the preamble to get the last 2/3.

Its not an action flick like dark knight was (or the marvel mega universes)

deffo not a commercial release, like transformers.

its akin to The Shining or Apocolypse Now would be my best comparisons...

more of an emotional journey leading to............

just go see it. brilliant.
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• REDROCK
        Gold Gabber
        • Feb 2015

Huggie - I keep hearing those kinds of reviews from people who normally wouldn't like this kind of film. For this reason my interest has been peaked. Originally I was with Diegoff on not seeing another superhero villain marvel film. Also the interviews with the director, it seems Todd Phillips has figured out that if you are going to make a film set in the 1980's, that the cameras or editing need to really have that grainy film quality or else it ruins the film visually (my opinion anyway).

Comment

• Amber
          Getting warmed up
          • Oct 2014

There's nothing "marvel" or superhero about it. It's a film about mental illness, extreme narcissism, societies, nothing like the comic strip version Joker -- just so you know that going in.

What's your opinion of the end and its meaning? What was real and what was delusional (sp?)?

Phoenix prob will win awards for it, even if for the laugh alone imo.... must have been sickening to have to keep doing that. Turned my stomach.

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
            its deep dark and twisted and a must see.

deffo not a commercial release, like transformers.
            Thanks for the review, coming from someone who appreciates art, then I´ll watch it.
            I like the dark side of the comic characters, and not the ironman-flying-while-listening-to-AC/DC side
            It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• REDROCK
              Gold Gabber
              • Feb 2015

I like to remind people who aren't in the industry that sound editing is so good these days that highly specialized individuals are able to pitch voices at just the right levels and tonality combinations in order to produce voices that are meant to be ear worms.

Comment

• Highsteppa
                Gold Gabber
                • Feb 2005

Way too much idolizing of Martin Scorcesse - borrowing the gritty look, taking plot points and themes from both Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

Todd Philips is not a bad director - he knows how to work well with actors, can tell a good story, but needs to find his own vision and voice. Copying Scorcesse is not that voice.

It wasn't a bad movie, but certainly didn't live up to the hype. I like the playing around of roles (Wayne family representing the 1%), Joaquim Pheonix delivered a really good performance, but the constant referencing of Scorcesse was too distracting.

Comment

• ddr
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

i'm not a theatre go'er person so i will wait until it gets released. movies these days just plain suck but this one has peaked my interest as well.
                  "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Amber
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by diegoff
                    Thanks for the review, coming from someone who appreciates art, then I´ll watch it.
                    I like the dark side of the comic characters, and not the ironman-flying-while-listening-to-AC/DC side
                    Then I'd bet you will not be disappointed! It's dark art for sure. More the story of how the joker became the joker, which begs the question of how mental illnesses are acquired, which I believe can sometimes be caused from assaults to one's soul. ..... which could be the message of this film. Go. See. It.

Comment

• ddr
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Amber
                      Then I'd bet you will not be disappointed! It's dark art for sure. More the story of how the joker became the joker, which begs the question of how mental illnesses are acquired, which I believe can sometimes be caused from assaults to one's soul. ..... which could be the message of this film. Go. See. It.
                      Makes me think of the Marvel tv series Legion, which is another excellent show that isnt very superman cape explosions kind of superhero but focuses on his mental state and his realization and coping of it
                      "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• REDROCK
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Highsteppa
                        Way too much idolizing of Martin Scorcesse - borrowing the gritty look, taking plot points and themes from both Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

Todd Philips is not a bad director - he knows how to work well with actors, can tell a good story, but needs to find his own vision and voice. Copying Scorcesse is not that voice.

It wasn't a bad movie, but certainly didn't live up to the hype. I like the playing around of roles (Wayne family representing the 1%), Joaquim Pheonix delivered a really good performance, but the constant referencing of Scorcesse was too distracting.

I haven't heard this yet, Phillips is very open about his admiration of Taxi Driver, but you feel he went too far copying it?

Comment

• REDROCK
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Feb 2015

While vacationing in NYC’s Greenwich Village we went ahead and saw the film, here are a few of my thoughts.

The acting was the best part of the film. But there wasn’t any character development besides Arthur. For me that made the film feel a bit flat. Since you’re viewing the world through the eyes of someone with very serious mental illness, the film felt inapropriate at times. I wasn’t sure if it was glorifying the illness since it focused only on “The Joker.”

I think it’s possible the film had the wrong director and cinematographer. Had it been shot more simply - with less scenes - less angles, less gratuitous moments, less cliche moments, it could have been interesting. Instead it was just ok. 4 out of 10 for me. Phoenix’s acting 9 out of 10. Although my wife thinks he’s that weird normally .

Comment

• Micko
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Oct 2004

As someone who works in mental health, i felt it portrayed those with enduring difficulties in a very poor and stigmatising light.

Quality acting though it must be said from JP.

Comment

• majormixing
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Mar 2021

It's an amazing movie! Everything has a reason.

Max from Major Mixing

Comment

Working...