X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Galapidate
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

"Fair and Balanced"

This is somewhat of a continuation of my Fox News thread from before the reset. Anyway, what are your views of media today? Obviously a lot of sources hold some sort of bias and may even mislead its viewers (in fact, a court recently said Fox can't be held guilty for giving misleading information). Is there any media that isn't biased? Is there a way to prevent bias in reports? What are your thoughts?
  • acmatos
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Even though people may believe what they want, truth does still exist
    Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Comment

• brakada
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

Re: "Fair and Balanced"

Originally posted by Galapidate
      Is there any media that isn't biased?
      No, the bias of the media depends on many factors: the owners, the editor, the writers, the sources... So, there are just more or less biased media.

Is there a way to prevent bias in reports?
      No, it's just the way we are. No matter how much we'll try to be objective, there will always be slight differences in the points of view and perspectives of the events.

What are your thoughts?
      Well, don't believe anything 100%.

The photos of the man on the moon are fake!!! :wink:
      We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• Galapidate
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Re: "Fair and Balanced"

Originally posted by brakada

What are your thoughts?
        Well, don't believe anything 100%.

The photos of the man on the moon are fake!!! :wink:

Comment

• devon
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

fox is a joke. but so is cnn.

as we know journalism is reporting the facts and letting the audience make up their own minds. according to michael moore in his interview with playboy he says at one time only 1-2 million people are watching fox news at any given time. and they are already converted to the fox way of thinking. so their impact is not that big.
          i really wish the floor would stop moving!

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

The biggest enemy the USA has this day is the American media itself. All the major player love to dig up trash on the USA and wind up being more anti-american than anyone else. IMO foxnews is the best around at being unbiased. Notice I said BEST and not simply unbiased. CNN, MSNBC, shit, you may as well tune into al Jazeera!
            "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

• acmatos
              Getting warmed up
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neur0t0xin64
              The biggest enemy the USA has this day is the American media itself. All the major player love to dig up trash on the USA and wind up being more anti-american than anyone else. IMO foxnews is the best around at being unbiased. Notice I said BEST and not simply unbiased. CNN, MSNBC, shit, you may as well tune into al Jazeera!
              Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Comment

• superdave
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

biased media

ny times is liberal. william safire is the only conservative voice there.
                wall street journal is conservative.
                la times is liberal.
                fox news is convservative.
                major networks -- abc, nbc, cbs are mostly liberal.
                cnn is boring

i listen and read all and make up my own mind.
                Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• Galapidate
                  Addiction started
                  • Jun 2004

Dunno about you guys, but CNN appears to be a tabloid these days :P

Comment

• deeprogressions
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

Lets be realistic anyone intelligent enough to ask this question is intelligent enough to realize that all news media is suffering from a bias in one direction or another. The first thing to realize is that the amount of twist applied to a story is directly proportional to it's overall importance. Iraq war...BIG...so spin it to your best interest. 5 men were arrested on marijuana charges no real reason to spin it. With this knowledge I judge overall importance of a subject and then decide whether or not to use comparisons i.e. watch or read the same story present by a conservative and liberal network then find a middle ground. Let's face it human nature is try and make your side look better than the other guys, media is no different. But I don't believe bias is so drastic that the average intelligent viewer can't extrapolate the "truth" or as close to it as possible from the story. But not everyone who watches the news is willing to put that much effort into it, and the thought of people forming an opinion solely from one source, and then voting on that opinion, scares the hell out of me.

Comment

• mylexicon
                      Addiction started
                      • Jun 2004

Re: biased media

Originally posted by superdave
                      wall street journal is conservative
                      Hmmmm....i don't know about that one......the WSJ is obnoxiously pragmatic......
                      which makes it an interesting read from time to time. I've read stuff in there
                      ranging from "let's reinstate the old colonial structure" to "the government
                      should run business from now on".

The WSJ lacks any set of ideals or goals......just like America......BTW thats
                      why most countries around the world dislike us.

We do whatever it takes to get ahead and stay ahead.....to most people it
                      is absolutely appalling to be that competitive and that morally ambiguous.
                      Be a vegan......eat freedom fries..

Comment

• gokada
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by neur0t0xin64
                        My thoughts exactly. But remember, believe nothing of what you read or hear, and half of what you see...Bruce Lee

Gokada
                        Glenn Okada (www.glennokada.com)
                        "...without struggle, there is no progress."

Comment

Working...