• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K8
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jan 2005

Re: Andrea Yates found NOT Guilty!????!

Originally posted by Kamal
    if that was the case, why would she every weep during her trial, it must all seem like a dream toher right?
    insanity of convenience perhaps

Comment

• BeachBum
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

Redrum !!!! I think insanity was a gimme ???
      The man who has no imagination has no wings - Muhammad Ali

Comment

• sammwalk
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

if they could prove, really prove, that this was directly related to a post-partum mental state and was never to return, then i suppose the verdict is fair, since it would be an isolated incident of psychotic behavior identified with a specific mental chemical state following pregnancy. however, this seems extremely implausible. the extent of the premeditation and the crimes don't justify an isolated psychotic episode; they signify a disposition towards psychosis. in keeping with the idea of prison and the death penalty being ways of protecting the public from dangerous individuals, i see no reason why the defendant has any right to a continued public existence, given that her behavior is likely wont to appear again.

psychosis should not be viewed as a reason not to incarcerate/execute individuals; rather, psychosis is one of several reasons people commit crimes, so it should be a key reason in their apprehension. if we begin to consider the mental states of violent individuals and their causes, then we have no way of determining where guilt lies. there is no mental condition that does not have its utmost cause in something outside of the individual's control; hence, one can argue that a past of violence and abuse absolves individuals of responsiblity when they commit crimes because they had no choice. similarly, one can argue (and they do) that mentally unstable individuals have no control over their mental states; hence, they cannot be held liable for any damages incurred when they are experiencing an episode or are otherwise incapable of making "normal" rational judgements. this reasoning can be carried to the furthest degree, absolving any possible criminal behavior.

obviously, what this does is short change any hope of personal responsibility. instead, individuals must be held accountable regardless of their upbringing or mental state or any other factor which may influence generally normal behavior. the only exception is in cases where intent could not possibly be construed, such as accidents, or cases of self-defense.

if for no other reason, defendant should be killed to spare the lives of other possible victims.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sammwalk
          if they could prove, really prove, that this was directly related to a post-partum mental state and was never to return, then i suppose the verdict is fair, since it would be an isolated incident of psychotic behavior identified with a specific mental chemical state following pregnancy. however, this seems extremely implausible. the extent of the premeditation and the crimes don't justify an isolated psychotic episode; they signify a disposition towards psychosis. in keeping with the idea of prison and the death penalty being ways of protecting the public from dangerous individuals, i see no reason why the defendant has any right to a continued public existence, given that her behavior is likely wont to appear again.

psychosis should not be viewed as a reason not to incarcerate/execute individuals; rather, psychosis is one of several reasons people commit crimes, so it should be a key reason in their apprehension. if we begin to consider the mental states of violent individuals and their causes, then we have no way of determining where guilt lies. there is no mental condition that does not have its utmost cause in something outside of the individual's control; hence, one can argue that a past of violence and abuse absolves individuals of responsiblity when they commit crimes because they had no choice. similarly, one can argue (and they do) that mentally unstable individuals have no control over their mental states; hence, they cannot be held liable for any damages incurred when they are experiencing an episode or are otherwise incapable of making "normal" rational judgements. this reasoning can be carried to the furthest degree, absolving any possible criminal behavior.

obviously, what this does is short change any hope of personal responsibility. instead, individuals must be held accountable regardless of their upbringing or mental state or any other factor which may influence generally normal behavior. the only exception is in cases where intent could not possibly be construed, such as accidents, or cases of self-defense.

if for no other reason, defendant should be killed to spare the lives of other possible victims.
          you're actually advocating the killing of people who suffer from mental illness!!!

errrr...thats what the Nazi's did!

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

^^ Looks like he nearly made a phd thesis out of an issue thats out of anyone's control and nearly know one will read
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
              • Jun 2004

is that soft talk for the threads gettin locked??? hahahaahaa
              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kamal
                Administrator
                • May 2002

lmao... no just found it amusing Sam decided to get right into the nitty gritty of it
                www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                Originally posted by ace_dl
                Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• sammwalk
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

not advocating the persecution of those with mental illness, just advocating the elimination of those who have demonstrated that the extent of their illness allows them to kill. whether it's in their "control" or not shouldn't be a factor because there's no clear way of determining proximate cause.

and if you don't want to read it, don't. but complicated issues can't be summed up in a few sentences.

Comment

• CrazyMadFlyGirl
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sammwalk
                    not advocating the persecution of those with mental illness, just advocating the elimination of those who have demonstrated that the extent of their illness allows them to kill. whether it's in their "control" or not shouldn't be a factor because there's no clear way of determining proximate cause..
                    well said.....
                    ~SnOoPy WAS rIgHt! DoGgY sTyLe Is ThE bEsT~

Comment

• CrazyMadFlyGirl
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                      lets hope you, your family and friends dont suffer from postpartum depression - cos thats quite an attitude to take. you really want to put your sister to death for the effects of chemical inbalances due to the massive hormone changes a woman goes through during labor and birth?
                      My comment about lethal injection was harsh...my apologies if it came across as my encouragement for murder of another person. But it makes me wonder... Who is the death penalty appropriate for if not for someone who could Drown her own kids??? (all 5 of them) Just for the record I had a very dear girlfriend of mine suffer with severe postpartum depression, but never with any psychotic behaviors or episodes. I also do have a very close family member who suffers from a form of mental illness, so I am very familiar with that side of things. I feel Yates' case was very severe and also premeditated... and I feel she deserved nothing less than LIFE in prison!
                      ~SnOoPy WAS rIgHt! DoGgY sTyLe Is ThE bEsT~

Comment

• beanzncheez
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                        Dont believe what Tom Cruise tells you!
                        So true.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kamal
                          lethal injection if I was the judge
                          Killing people off is way too easy. That's pretty much like letting the person off easy. Let her life and suffer the consequences. Without suffering, there is no justice.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                            • Jun 2004

just FYI:

19/20 violent crimes conducted by people without mental illness

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

• sammwalk
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jun 2004

yeah, that sounds right, because most violent crimes are related to poverty, gangs, circumstantial conflict, etc. i bet a lot of serial killers are otherwise mentally healthy too. that doesn't make the mentally disturbed any less responsible for their crimes, is my point. Like, I don't see how the "insanity" defense is consistent, whether it's temporary or not. Anyone can get angry, at any time, for any reason, so how can this be a defense?

My logic goes like this: if you're the kind of person that can be so enraged/upset over something that it can drive you to kill (besides self-defense, of course), why should that be a defense? You weren't under any Russian mind-control; you did it yourself. Whether it's because you're mentally unstable, or just angry, or sociopathic and unfeeling, shouldn't matter. If you're under the power of your own will, you face the consequences.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2004

I thought most violent crimes were committed because of hip hop.

Comment

Working...