X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neoee
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Why Dance Music Doesn?t Get Played On the Radio

A recent search for sources led me back to this article which was once hosted on the Twilo website. Great article IMO, just had to share.

By Twiloboss

Electronica (and it?s many offspring) has been on the turntables in clubs all over the world since the late 80?s, which, by dance music standards, makes it ready to be out of fashion. But not only is it not out of fashion, it is even not widely in fashion yet and by all estimates will probably never be, at least not as that phrase is ordinarily used. It is ?cool?; it is played in every dance club in every major metropolitan area on earth but still cannot crack the glass barrier surrounding the pop charts. Here?s why?

No. 1
    No recognizable performer
    The popular music industry in (America) is driven by the cult of personality. Only in America could a producer create a pop group like the Backstreet Boys or N?Sync from an ad in the paper and make that group a household word; group members with nothing in common either as to background, talent or anything else other than a craving for fame and bucks. Don?t even get me started on ?American Idol?. Electronica dj?s do not ?perform?; they create either by manufacturing their own music and/or taking the electronic music of others and mixing it into something new and different. DJs such as Moby or the Chemical Brothers, in an effort to become ?personalities?, have given in to the music industry establishment and have attempted to turn their craft into an act. So every time we see Moby, for example, he is compelled for reasons either foolish or unknown, to be photographed mid-leap. Why? No one knows. Moby, an electronic musician, is now a jumping circus act. Howard Stern, the pundit of all things goofy and great on radio, made the intelligent observation that when he attended a Fatboy Slim ?concert? on Long Island, he was ?amazed to see everyone standing around watching some guy spin records.? Not exactly like watching the now faded Michael Jackson doing the ?moon walk?.

No 2.
    No way to do a tour
    For obvious reasons, without a recognizable performer no record company can organize a tour. Tours drive record sales by presenting the performer as a personality. Believe me, if no one knew what KISS looked like they would have sold fewer records than the Tulsa Tuba Band. Americans love visuals. They love the melodrama of the rock concert whether it?s Madonna with cone-shaped tit covers or the idiotic pyrotechnics of Aerosmith. The music is never enough by itself it seems. Everyone can remember either stupid concert productions or even more stupid music videos, the bastard child of concert tours. I am not proud to say I actually paid money to see Milli Vanilli once upon a time?

No. 3
    A media generated connection to drug culture
    60 Minutes II, did a pience on the usage of ecstasy and its connection to raves and therefore its connection to electronica. They stated with considerable fear and panic that ?40 people have died from E overdoses in the past 5 years.? I would venture to say that more people OD on aspirin or alcohol than on ecstasy. All drug use is bad and unhealthy and certainly dangerous. I?m certainly not advocating or making light of drug use. But to single out ecstasy as if it is some new communist plot is absurd. Ever hear of anyone killing a family while driving under the influence of E? Or breaking and entering to support an E habit? Alcohol ruins more lives in a single weekend than ecstasy did in its whole five-year 60 Minutes run. And if you want to see some real drug/alcohol abuse, check out any rock or rap concert. The media periodically go through their file cabinets to stir up some old story that they can dress up in new clothes. Remember saccharine and how the media had everyone dying from cancer by drinking Tab? Guess what? It was all pretend. The unfortunate by-product of the perceived connection between the drugs and the music is the fear that the thought-police will be monitoring every electronica event, enough of a wet blanket to dowse any firestorm of interest that popular music might develop. Raves do not help matters either. Greedy promoters invite 14 year olds to attend events notorious for drug use. Now children are dragged into the media net. Recent developments in New Orleans where rave promoters were indicted under federal ?crackhouse? laws are a natural and expected result whenever children enter the scene. The RAVE act is another manifestation of this reactionary attitude toward electronic music.

No 4.
    Songs are too musically complex.
    Anyone who actually LISTENS to electronica and has any musical savvy recognizes how complex the music actually is. This music is much more akin to classical chamber music and its layering of rhythms and tempo than any other pop antecedent. While electronica may be dance music, it owes only a little to disco or dance rock. In fact, its roots lie in the electronic ?classical? music of the 1960?s. This complexity (like that of chamber music) unfortunately works against its popularity. Complexity tends to mystify and turn off the masses, not intrigue them. Analyze the lyrics of country music, virtually all of which focuses on lost loves and/or lost fortunes; or examine rap lyrics which mysteriously mirror country and focus on gaining ?love? (booty) and gaining or flaunting fortunes. These mundane, unoriginal and repetitive lyrics echo unoriginal and simplistic chord structures within the music. Popular music, most of which is remarkably derivative only of itself, is the lowest common denominator of musical taste, craftily structured to appeal to the most likely record-buying people. It is business disguised as art. Electronica swims against the current of long established record industry rules and by doing so condemns itself to be forever out of the mainstream.

No 5.
    The songs are too long.
    For the reasons stated above, the complexity of electronica requires time for the musical themes to be adequately developed. Long ago, record companies made the determination that the American public?s attention span cannot exceed three minutes. (Similarly, movies tread on thin ice if they exceed 2 hours in length, sitcoms, 30 minutes.) Thus all popular music (with some very few exceptions) is encumbered with this unwritten but nonetheless ironclad boundary. Electronica simply does not lend itself to this sort of artificial compression any more than a Mozart concerto would. In short, any of the great classicists like Beethoven, Brahms, or Bach writing and composing today would be selling about as many records as Deep Dish, a lot for electronica but a drop compared to the ocean of Justin Timberlake or Christina Aguilera?

Electronica will always be a fringe musical phenomenon until the public becomes educated in its qualities and enlightened as to the facts surrounding it. And educating the public has never been any easy task.
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin
  • pfunk
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jun 2004

Re:: Why Dance Music Doesn?t Get Played On the Radio

wow
    that is pretty true shit. espically the stuff about the music being to complex. I think that is one of the biggest reasons that alot of people overlook techno. Some of my "non techno friends" think all of my records sound the same. What kind of nonsense is that. I think some people just will never get it.

Comment

• skahound
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by pfunk
      Some of my "non techno friends" think all of my records sound the same. What kind of nonsense is that.
      It's tough to explain the music to friends without sounding like a complete jackass. When I hear the comment "It all sounds the same" I find that I sound pretentious in my answer because I end up telling them that they're not listening correctly and that they just don't get it. All they ever seem to hear is "thump, thump, thump, thump".
      A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• baluga
        Fresh Peossy
        • Jul 2004

i completely disagree with all points except number 5, although his statements
        are things to think about. first off, it's not nearly as "cool" as hip hop. and since almost all "coolness" comes from the innercity, it NEVER will be that cool since the propagators(said innercity dwellers) of cool have a negative view of it.
        and of course it's played at dance clubs. its dance music. that's primarily where
        it lives and breathes.
        point one. the DJ's are the recognizable performers. you find a dj that plays the music you like and that's the personality you follow. example is all the digweed worshippers here. and sasha of course has his own cult of personality.
        point two. what was the delta heavy "tour"? dj's dont have tour dates? that tour the US, Asia, Europe. of course they tour.
        point three. the media did not generate the connection to drug culture. rave music did that itself. in the beginnings wasn't it all acid house? electronic music was born by the huge underground parties called raves where everyone was mashed off their ass. dance music was hand in hand with drugs. the media just started to focus on that more and more.
        point four. songs are too musically complex? that is the most pretentious garbage to make it on paper. he thinks electronic is on par with classical?!@
        WTF?! i love electronic but i know it's not a masterpiece. case in point. you have to train years and years to be a great musician. think anyone can play jazz or classical? a lot of people can pick up some software and crank out tunes in a few hours.
        point 5. yes the songs are too long to keep attention sometimes i do admit.

Comment

• tribal
          Fresh Peossy
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by skahound
          Some of my "non techno friends" think all of my records sound the same. What kind of nonsense is that.
          It's tough to explain the music to friends without sounding like a complete jackass. When I hear the comment "It all sounds the same" I find that I sound pretentious in my answer because I end up telling them that they're not listening correctly and that they just don't get it. All they ever seem to hear is "thump, thump, thump, thump".
          omg i thought i was the only one with that problem. i stoped trying to explain it to my friends. when they make thieir comments i just tell them im sorry you dont like the music and then i crank it up and smile and they give me a fucked up look.

Comment

• palmer
            Retired or Simply Important
            • Jun 2004

^ I don't agree with one single statement you've made.

Originally posted by baluga
            the DJ's are the recognizable performers. you find a dj that plays the music you like and that's the personality you follow.
            I don't go to shows to see the person and don't by all means follow anyone..... I go to hear the records. How many people go to see britney for her music?

None.

They go to see her.

point four. songs are too musically complex? that is the most pretentious garbage to make it on paper. he thinks electronic is on par with classical?!@
            WTF?! i love electronic but i know it's not a masterpiece. case in point. you have to train years and years to be a great musician. think anyone can play jazz or classical?
            Go listen to airdrawndagger and tell me how much it sounds like the new NSYNC cd.

How many years do you think jxl and sasha have been training?

a lot of people can pick up some software and crank out tunes in a few hours
            Yeah but of what caliber? I could pick up ableton, sonar, reason whatever..... but you aren't going to hear my track getting played. Ask any producer here how long they've been at it. My guess is they didn't start last night.

good article thanks for sharing.
            todayistomorrow
            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• baluga
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jul 2004

people go see djs that play the type of dance music they like. people go see digweed because they like quality progressive. people go see aphordite because they want drum and bass. in the sense of following, i mean people keep up with whatever the dj is doing. which is why people are on the bedrock board and this one. and just how do you know people don't go to britney for her music? you don't think there isn't one single person that loves her music, no 14 year old cranking it up and belting out her songs?
              i own airdrawndagger and of course it doesn't sound like nsync. i also know sasha didn't need to go to juliard to put his album together. but you need some sort of schooling to put together a jazz album.
              you're right. most producers aren't overnight success stories. i don't know if you produce records and even if you did turn out some blazing tune, chances are it wouldn't get played because not every great electronic tune ever produced is going to get played. a lot of it has to do with who you know as well.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                Double hoodie beer monster
                • Jun 2004

agreed, palmer. baluga, I think everything you said is full of it too... just as "a lot of people can pick up some software and crank out tunes," just as many people (if not more, due to computer/budget restrictions?) can write a poem and sing it out loud.

As for point two, it says "without a recognizable performer." Sasha and Digweed are about the MOST recognizable performers in the electronic music industry, so yes, they're able to market a tour with ease. I'd like to see Kasey Taylor or Adam Beyer or DJ Spree organize a tour and attract thousands of people... sure, they're all great at playing their genre of music, but they won't attract much more than the people that have heard their works. Unless they get air time or constant media attention, it's tough for anybody outside of the small electronic community to know who any DJ is.

I'll put Kasey Taylor's 5-hour proton radio set in my car's alpine mp3 player for road trips and still be begging for more when it's over... it's sad. I'm personally all about 20-30 minute tracks, nobody produces them. There's nothing more that I like about electronic music than listening to the same few beats over and over and over again. when the shit changes up I often find myself rewinding a few minutes just to let the beats keep going.

Comment

• timkell
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tribal
                  Originally posted by skahound
                  omg i thought i was the only one with that problem. i stoped trying to explain it to my friends. when they make thieir comments i just tell them im sorry you dont like the music and then i crank it up and smile and they give me a fucked up look.
                  It's not pretentious. It IS a different kind of listening. I tell my other friends who are really into rock music that house is something you basically have to give in to. With rock music, if you're really into it, you're constantly critiquing. "Yeah, I like this intro... Uh huh, nice guitar there... This guy's voice is good. Wow, those lyrics are great... etc. etc."

Think about it next you're evaluating a rock album.

With house, you sort of have to just let it happen first. You sort of evaluate after the fact. "Would I want to hear that again? Yeah!" You more have to just absorb it with your body, and then think about it later.

At least, that how I describe how I deal with house music. Could sound like complete rubbish to everyone else, but it works for me!
                  FunkyCozy
                  A FREE Minimal/Techno/Tech House Party @ Anu
                  Every Last Saturday of the Month
                  Residents: Jonathan Beech, Sinukus, Tim McCormack
                  Next Cozy: Saturday, October 28
                  3rd annual Halloween bash, FunkyCozy vs. [Kontrol]
                  with guests Alland Byallo (Liebe Detail) and Craig Kuna
                  Wear a costume!

Comment

• picklemonkey
                    Double hoodie beer monster
                    • Jun 2004

I always tell people to focus on the bass line/rhythm instead of the percussion/treble/etc. It seems like people most concentrate on the words of "normal" music, but when you concentrate on the treble part it seems like nothing but repetitive symbol clashes. The music flows much better when listening to the bass/rhythm, which is carrying the whole song anyways. That's sort of how I see & explain it... most people still don't get it though. "Your CD just sounds like it's skipping."

Comment

• RuOnPoint
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Aug 2004

I think that one of the major reasons that EDM isn't played on the radio is because for one, most of the songs don't have vocals. Turn on the radio today and all songs have vocals and a hook. Has anybody here ever watched Puff Daddy's "Making the Band" on MTV? I remember him always stressing the vocals and the hook. NO HOOK NO SONG.
                      Also, we as a generation have been trained to listen to pop songs that are short and simple. House music and all other types of EDM are usually long and quite complex in that there are so many elements incorporated into the song structure. We are the ADD generation...well some of us at least.

:2cents

Comment

• gjg21
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by RuOnPoint
                        Also, we as a generation have been trained to listen to pop songs that are short and simple.
                        short, simple, and pleasing to the average listener is no doubt the key to successful pop music, but this developed way before our generation.

i'd say the major change came with 1950's doo-wop and the beginnings of rock n roll. this is where we first heard the short, catchy tune for the masses. listen to a duke ellington or benny goodman tune (pop music for young america prior to the 50's) you'll find few key hooks, no vocals, and tunes that extend way beyond the 3:10 limit set for radio today.

i agree with most of the initial post, aside from the touring aspect. while i sometimes envy the UK and Europe for what they have (R1/Essential Mix/etc) I'm damn glad that clearchannel and the like haven't had the opportunity to stick their sweaty palms into dance music thusfar.

Comment

• fuzzybaffy
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Jun 2004

I'm damn glad that clearchannel and the like haven't had the opportunity to stick their sweaty palms into dance music thusfar.
                          IIRC, the Delta Heavy Tour was funded by Clear Channel. Or something along those lines...

Comment

• gjg21
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by fuzzybaffy
                            I'm damn glad that clearchannel and the like haven't had the opportunity to stick their sweaty palms into dance music thusfar.
                            IIRC, the Delta Heavy Tour was funded by Clear Channel. Or something along those lines...
                            shhh...

Comment

• mixu
                              Travel Guru Extraordinaire
                              • Jun 2004

Re: Why Dance Music Doesn?t Get Played On the Radio

Originally posted by neoee
                              I am not proud to say I actually paid money to see Milli Vanilli once upon a time?
                              What's wrong with Milli Vanilli?

"Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba baby,
                              don't forget my number."

Ask me a question...

Comment

Working...