X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davetlv
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Anti-Globalization/Anti-War groups and links to terrorists

There seems to be an Anti-Globalization/Anti-War conference in Beirut this weekend. Its local sponsers include Hezbollah, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, the Democratic Front and Fatah.

(Article taken from Haaretz - Israel's leading quality, and very liberal, newspaper).

As some of the hosting groups are known terrorist organisations, i once again have to question the role of far left politics in the world today. Thoughts please people!

• Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Hard to tell...if it's really true, religious or terrorist groups may have just found a destabilizing force they wish to strengthen? It could be very profitable, but I'm wondering if any ordinary anti-globalist would be stupid enough to let himself in whith those kind of people.
    I my view, that would seriously harm their case. Now, they're still protesting "in the open", I see what they want or dislike, and what they do against it. But imagine a G-8 summit bombed, or even worse, innocent people bombed because of such a summit. We can't have that...
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• mixu
      Travel Guru Extraordinaire
      • Jun 2004

Re: Anti-Globalization/Anti-War groups and links to terroris

I really don't think you can, or should, equate one conference with all global far left politics... In the same way you can't glue feathers to a dog and call it a duck
      Ask me a question...

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

^I beg to differ, you CAN glue feathers to a dog and call it a duck...in fact, that's a fantastic idea.

Comment

• davetlv
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Re: Anti-Globalization/Anti-War groups and links to terroris

Jenks, you is one funny man!

Anyhow back on topic. . . i think its a fair assumption to make that the vast majority of Anti-globalisation groups belong to one of two groups politically, either the far left or the anarchist movement.

That said, those of us who remember the Europe in the 80's will also remember much of the political left being hijacked by extremists who had no problem conversing and organising with terrorist organisations (the IRA and PLO to name just two of the organisations - lets remember that these two groups were responisible for terrorist acts in the 80's).

Genuine individuals who might have genuine concerns about globalisation (and even the anti war movement) should be worried about an organisation they are supporting having links with organisations that kill men, women and children on buses, in shopping malls and at nightclubs.

Like the hijacking of the left in the 80's, this apparent hijack of what could be a radical force for change loses all credibility by aligning itself to murderes.

Comment

• mixu
            Travel Guru Extraordinaire
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks";p="
            ^I beg to differ, you CAN glue feathers to a dog and call it a duck...in fact, that's a fantastic idea.
            My dog's actually called Duck... but it isn't actually a duck.

Umm, Dave - I understand what you're saying, and it's a fair point, but I'm really not sure what credibility there is in saying much of the political left in the 80s conversed with terrorist organisations. Specifically in the UK, I'd be interested to know who was collaborating with the IRA - yes the British left was 'hijacked' by extreme left-wingers but to suggest they were complicit in terrorist actions is, to use a word, laughable.

i think its a fair assumption to make that the vast majority of Anti-globalisation groups belong to one of two groups politically, either the far left or the anarchist movement.
            Again, a generalisation and to associate anyone concerned with globalisation with one conference in one country is pushing it a little.

It's definitely a concern but it's still a dog covered in feathers.
            Ask me a question...

Comment

Working...