X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Help an idiot out

What is the difference between a processor like a Pentium D that is listed as being Dual Core, and a processor like an Intel Core Duo or Core Duo 2?

TIA
  • unkownartist
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Help an idiot out

Originally posted by toasty
    What is the difference between a processor like a Pentium D that is listed as being Dual Core, and a processor like an Intel Core Duo or Core Duo 2?

TIA
    dual core is old technology and core duo is the second generation of dual core proccessors, faster

Comment

• Simon Preston
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

I believe the Pentium D is essentially 2 Pentium 4 cores on a single die. Could be wrong on that tho.
      The Core is so much more efficient than the Pentium 4 - which was just something that should never have happened - so even at lower speeds it can perform operations faster.
      http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Thanks. How do the Athlon chips compare? What version of an AMD processor would be the equivalent of a Core Duo?

Comment

• unkownartist
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

tough question, amd used to be miles infront but the dawn of intel core duo changed all that, i,m not 100% on this but dual core amd's are quite quick and cheapers but i do not know how they compare with core duo chips appart from price, u will get a dual core amd for less money but if i,m correct the core duo will out class it for performance but then again the new am2 socket of amd i dont know a lot about just now, its a cut throat buisness and always will be but from what i,ve been gathering intel have been making some really sick chips @ the moment but like i said it swings around from time to time

performance = bigger hole in the pocket

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

The Core 2 Duo processors have a 2 Meg L2 Cache and everything older is a 1 Meg (or smaller) L2 Cache. This essentially tranlates to a notably faster performance.

Not sure how the AMDs (at least for the hardware in home use) compare to Pentiums. Afaik, Intels rule on the PC / Laptop front and AMDs are kings on servers (Opterons will smoke the Xeons 6 ways from Sunday and then some)
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• unkownartist
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Kamal
              Not sure how the AMDs (at least for the hardware in home use) compare to Pentiums. Afaik, Intels rule on the PC / Laptop front and AMDs are kings on servers (Opterons will smoke the Xeons 6 ways from Sunday and then some)
              used to be the opposite way around due to the fact that intel had there chips running on lower voltages

i guess it changes all the time

Comment

• Yao
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Close call I think, Pentium has the L2 but lower communication bandwidth with the rest of the system (FSB speed), even though they've upped it AMD is still about twice as fast. I guess it translates to Intel being able to receive more orders and AMD getting less but being able to execute more at the same time?

I'd love a chip with the best of both...
                Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

Working...