X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Wireless Router Help!!

Evidently, I need to change the settings on my (Linksys WRT54GX2) Wireless Router so that my wife can use her work laptop on our system. The instructions I have are as follows:

1. Log into router
    2. Set up router such that when laptop is used it is assigned a specific (which I assume means static) IP address.
    3. Set up IP address as a DMZ

Number 1 is no problem, but I'm at a loss when it comes to #2 and #3. Anyone have any wisdom they could share?

TIA
  • apollo_1444
    Banned
    • Oct 2006

Re: Wireless Router Help!!

hmm i wouldn't recomend to switch to that option.. why don't you enable the mac adress filter so that almost any computer you want can log in to the network... go to the mac adress filter options in the router and type the mac adresses of the computers you want online..(dont set up the mac adress of the main computer)

for example:

1.- log into the router
    2.- go to security > mac adress filter
    3.- type the mac adresses of the computers you want to grant access to
    4.- log out

you can look for the mac adress of any computer by going to cmd.exe and type ipconfig/all that should give you the mac adress. it works great and its better than WAP and WEP encryptions

sorry for my english

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

is Mac address filtering the only thing you learnt on routers ? even for my problem with my router you suggested the same thing (in not as much detail)
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• apollo_1444
        Banned
        • Oct 2006

well its safer than wep and wap encryption theres tons of videos on youtube showing how can they be cracked on 20 minutes.

what else should i know about WR? do i look like an IT consultant?

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

Thats not the point I was making, his problem is unique and has NOTHING to do with wireless security to begin with.

Irrespective of the fact that you are an IT consultant or not, its probably a good idea to understand the question before giving a template answer
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• apollo_1444
            Banned
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
            Thats not the point I was making, his problem is unique and has NOTHING to do with wireless security to begin with.

Irrespective of the fact that you are an IT consultant or not, its probably a good idea to understand the question before giving a template answer
            he wanted to manually stablish a connection with the computer you moron... meaning he doesn't want other people to connect to the access point thats why i suggested that option you smartass.

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

wow youz so smart .... comes with being 20 naturally. Next time I'll be sure to ask him to setup his Mac address filter for sure Mr. Spaceman.
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• apollo_1444
                Banned
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
                wow youz so smart .... comes with being 20 naturally. Next time I'll be sure to ask him to setup his Mac address filter for sure Mr. Spaceman.
                OMG UR SO L337!!1

Comment

• toasty
                  Sir Toastiness
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by apollo_1444
                  he wanted to manually stablish a connection with the computer you moron... meaning he doesn't want other people to connect to the access point thats why i suggested that option you smartass.
                  actually, FWIW, I was doing it because my wife uses a VPN for work, and that's what the folks at her company's IT department indicated we needed to do to be able to use the VPN connection and browse the web simultaneously through the router.

Honestly, though, I appreciate everyone's input. Didn't mean to set off anything with my request.

Comment

• poults
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Nov 2006

Seems like a fairly good, simple solution to me for his probelm.
                    Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• res0nat0r
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • May 2006

hey toasty...

i dont currently have a linksys at home anymore, but i have a d-link, but i get the gist of what #2-#3 are asking.

you are probably looking for something under the "dhcp settings" menu named "static dhcp". this sounds like an oxymoron, since dhcp stands for DYNAMIC host configuration protocol, but it really is useful. if you goto this menu you should be able to assign a specific mac address a specific ip address everytime the host boots. you can find your mac address in windows via "start>run>cmd.exe>ipconfig /all"

type the 6 sets of hex digits into your router, and give it a static ip of say: 192.168.1.100 and everytime the pc boots inside your network it will have that ip.

there should be some type of option for DMZ, the description on my router for this states: DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) is used to allow a single computer on the LAN to be exposed to the Internet.", here you would want to type in "192.168.1.100" if you followed the ip address above.

also you would want to have "VPN Passthrough" enabled. This will allow the VPN protocol to be passed through your NAT, ie private network and allow your wife to VPN in thru your router thru the net to her work. I would alow both PPTP and IPSec to make it simple, but IPSec is prob what is being used.

hope this helps.

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

To shed some more light onto the problem, I had PMed Toasty earlier about it. All he was trying to do was to be able to surf the web from his laptop in addition to being able to maintain a VPN connection in the background at the same, which afaik isn't possible because of the nature of VPN. I presume he has no problems connecting to VPN from his router OR surfing the web independantly.
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• toasty
                          Sir Toastiness
                          • Jun 2004

^^that's correct, although I think I'll give res0nat0r's suggestion a try, since that passthrough idea -- at least theoretically -- seems like it would work. thanks for the tip!

Comment

• res0nat0r
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • May 2006

humm if maybe you are talking about the web not working while you are vpn'd in is because your company probably has a web proxy setup, so when you are vpn'd in you will have to goto your firefox settings and set that up. then you can surf the www, but all of your content will go thru your company, so stay away from the Sexy Time thread...

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

^^ well, it's my wife's computer, so I'll tell her to stay off of www.perezhilton.com.

Comment

Working...