X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subdude
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

My WMC week

This is the abridged version of my week, which excludes numerous rants about hotel, restaurant, and crowd drama...

#1 Tiefschwarz @ Remix Hotel Friday
    #2 Dirtybird Party
    #3 Tiefschwarz @ Robots BED

Tuesday 3.21.2007:

Digweed @ Pawnshop
    Sweet! Jimmy Van M was the opener. Enjoyed the set immeasurably. I was drunk by the time Digweed came on. I can?t even comment on the music because, I have no recollection of it. I can mention that someone told me that I enjoyed the set immeasurably. I do however recall spotting: Transa Firma (super incognito with shades on), Paul, Chris (of Chris and Jen soon to return to Atlanta), and met a guy that grew up in the town next to my hometown in NJ. Called it a morning at 6:15am.

Wednesday 3.22.2007:

City Deep Music Showcase @ Beach Plaza Hotel Rooftop

Unimpeded by the oblivious door guys, we enjoyed the relaxed sounds on the roof. Scoped-out a cozy sitting area with lounge chair. Got rained on. Spotted: Christy and Todd, Stephen. Saw some guy that went to my highschool who?s parents live across the street from my dad. Turns out he spins ?house? in LA as George Nesis. Well, his real last name is Stilianesis and his dad owns one of the best diners in northern New Jersey ?The King George Diner? or KGD. Great guy!

Anyone remember this tool? Nice tough guy gloves asshat...

Tiefschwarz & Robots @ BED
    Arrived at 11:30pm. Heard a little bit of Bill Patrick. Tiefschwarz ruled. They had great crowd interaction. They played vinyl. Overheard on Thursday...Rob, ?How was the music?? Gavin, ?Life-altering.? What more can I add. Spotted: Lee Burrige, euro guy in insane white outfit (picture below), crazy running in place with white and black horizontal lined shirt guy (CRIPWWBHLSG), annoying big lipped vest guy (ABLVG).

Me and Visnja

Me and my roommate

Insane white outfit...

Someone I know is in the background of each of these pics!

youtubed...

Thursday 3.22.2007:

Clinton Pool

Woke up and went to Clinton pool for what we thought was AMP/Frisky Radio party. Listened to New Orleans breaks for about two hours. Chris and Jen were there and were good company. Chris explained that the Frisky party was starting at 6pm. Saw some hot stripper chicks who someone claimed had been transported from Atlanta by the breaks DJs. Visnja got some good pictures (see below). After not one, but 2 Journey/Steve Perry vocal breaks remixes we had to leave.

Before I got my first beer (check out my facial expression)...

With Atl/Orl Chris..

Atl dancer hottie?

Dirtybird Records @ Beach Plaza Hotel Rooftop

Informed by oblivious door guys that party didn?t start to 5:30. It was 4. We agreed to a 2 drink minimum to get in. Boys ordered drinks, Visnja and I escaped to the roof. After music started, I let a guy from Dirtybird know that they were holding people at the door. Found out that guy was Claude Von Stroke. Music got really good. Went to find the guys in the courtyard. Found them. Got stuck in line for an hour to get back up. Guys bailed before getting up. Got up after an hour. Reunited with Visnja who was dancing at the time. Heard awesome Dirtybird tunes! Danced my ass off! Claude Von Stroke was awesome. All the DJs were awesome. The crowd was going nuts! Great stuff! Spotted: Adam ?Pickles? from Mercury Server, CRIPWWBHLSG still in black and white horizontal lined shirt and still running in place! (see video below), ABLVG but now in absurd yellow daytime ensemble (picture below). We stayed until we were so hungry we couldn?t stand up, 10:30pm maybe?

Guy in yellow, but this time not k'd out...

Some fun youtube vids...
    Guy in horizontal lined shirt visible in screen right!! This guy and guy in red with hat losing it on dancefloor for like 4 hours straight.

This one below is pretty good!

free form 5 song

best for last

M_nus showcase @ Pawnshop
    There is an alternate version of this review were I describe how I was elbowed repeatedlty by reputedly famous DJs while minding my own business. Spotted: Dustin (cherrytwist). Some guy insisted on blowing the truck horn over and over for a really long time. Spent time near bars, on the dancefloor and later to the outside area. All the music was good. Wanted to stay to see Magda but called it a morning at 6am or so.

Trying to catch a cab home sucked. Then we hailed a cab and agree to share with some cracked out blond chick. She got in and out of the cab threes times. When the cabbie started to drive away, she yelled at the cabbie to stop and let her out. The cabbie said he wanted to pick up another passenger. We pull over and its?Dustin. I am like ?Hey, I know you! Get in the fucking cab!?

Friday 3.23.2007:

M_nus Showcase Remix Hotel @ The National Hotel
    Waiting in line and up walks Mike Bradley! Turns out his Atl contingent has secured a free bed to stage left! Nice! Everyone from Atl was in party mode and having fun. I think the sun came out! Troy Pierce was on when we got there. Turns out they adjusted the lineup. Next up Magda. Visjna and I move to the crowd area to dance. The music rocked! Richie Hawtin came on. Someone onstage knocked over a monitor. Grand Master Flash joined Hawtin on stage to watch him mix for awhile. Flash seemed to dig the tunes. Dusk. Night. Tiefschwarz started playing. Troy Pierce reappears at the table setup and started removing gear by pulling on cables with impunity. The record skipped horribly, the crowd started yelling, jeering. Pierce looked around, unsure if he caused it? One of the Tiefschwarz guys pointed at Pierce and made a neck cutting motion. Pierce seemed embarrassed and, laughing, he ducked below the tables. He popped up, laughing, seemed genuinely surprised that his abuse of the system caused some issues. Who knew people still actually played vinyl and not digital/laptop? Shrug. After recovering Tiefschwarz ripped it! Set of the week for me! Really great stuff. At one point after the tunes had been uber minimal for a few minutes they dropped a huge vocal "house" song and everyone went bonkers. Visnja managed to catch the magic on video but someone (who shall remain nameless) managed to erase all but 4 seconds of it. Walking home after the show we decided that we were going to join the Tiefschwarz fan club and go to the Karu-Y show.

So we went to have Pizza Rustica, which kicked ass. One of the Tiefschwarz brothers walked by with one of his handlers. He didn?t want any pizza?

Visnja and I @ Remix (Rich took this pic!)

Trying to dance...

magda

Richie (you can see Visnja in blue shirt at 22 seconds)

some tiefschwarz at the end of this one

Hallucinate @ Marlin
    Visnja was tired and had a fever. I decided to go to check this out. Too hot in the cave so I stayed near the front. Hung with: Mike Bradley, Chris and Jen, Adam, and other people that I met. Heard: Radioslave, Mr. C, Three?. Music rocked but I have no idea who was playing when. Tried in vain to get my friends to rejoin me but they were distracted and under the influence at Cameo after a long day at Nikki Beach. I went to bed at 6am. My friends returned to grab sunglasses for afterhours and change shirts or something. I managed to avoid being dragged to afterhours. Based on their state when they returned at 10 to change clothes for the beach, I am glad I missed it. Something about waiting in line 2 hours somewhere, getting caught in stairwells, and $100 and $60 cover charges.

Saturday 3.24.2007:

Varsity Allstars @ Clinton Pool
    Got there in time to hear Mike play. He played a great set that went well with the full on sun!!! Plenty of Atlanta support. Coronas were only $5! Listened to a few more DJs and enjoyed several beers.

Lee Burrige @ BED
    Good show but the crowd seemed devastated from the week and somewhat unresponsive overall. Or maybe I am projecting, the last half hour I was exhausted and had to mentally will my feet to move. Spotted everyone from Atlanta in their BED.[/b]
    _________
    _subdude_
    _________
Working...