Paper I wrote on electronic music/today's society...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hydra
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Paper I wrote on electronic music/today's society...

This is a paper i finished for my music theory/appreciationg class regarding progressive music/todays society...if you got some time its 3100 or so words, enjoy it is opinioned but thats how our professor wanted it...

the guidelines were to pick a composer of any generation/genre of music and to explain the influence of that specific genre on the music world (i went in to describe the micro world of electronic music as well as the macro world of electronic music in conjunction with all genres of music)...i interviewed my buddy chris salt online for an example of an artist within the genre of prog music....

my professor is well versed on all genres of music and understands/appreciates electronic music (he composes classical scores) anyway, heres what i came up with...

Adam Singer
    MUL 2010
    University of Florida
    Due: June 14th, 2004

One of the newest, most exciting, inspiring, spiritual, and artistic forms of music in the world today is electronic music. It is a very recent and continuously developing sound that is still being defined and basically has no limitations because of the fact the sounds are created using electronic synthesis (synthesizers, drum machines, samplers, computers, etc). Electronic music is also used in conjunction with actual instruments, which creates an incredible synthesis, of which I will go into later. For this paper, I will discuss specifically electronic music in our culture today, and I will be using the composer Chris Salt as my example of an artist within the genre of electronic music. He is, in my opinion, one of the newest, and most forward thinking producers in the electronic music scene today. Being only twenty three years of age, and already well respected and established in the music world, he really is a prodigy at what he does, and I believe comparing him to the young classical composers of years past would be an apt comparison. Chris is young, driven, and most certainly loves what he does. I will go further into the philosophies/beliefs of Chris in this paper, as I had an opportunity to chat with him online and have a brief interview on the subject of electronic music and today?s society.

Electronic music is defined as music which in some way has electronic aid in its production. It is not limited simply to dance music. Many rock groups use electronic elements in their sound, as well as pop and jazz musicians. Even many orchestras of today incorporate electronic elements into their mass of instruments. For this paper, however, I will be discussing mainly electronic music, that is to say music that is more electronic than acoustic. There are many sub genres within the main genre of electronic music. These include, but are not limited to: house, trance, break beats, drum and bass, ambient, trip hop/down tempo, etc. There are many, many subgenres of electronic music, just like in any genre of music. I will focus on a genre that is a fusion of the two most popular genres of electronic music (house and trance), that is termed ?progressive? music. While this word is a clich? word within the electronic community (in reality progressive artists can and do incorporate all genres of electronic and non-electronic music into their compositions and live sets), it is mainly what Chris Salt?s music is recognized as. Being an artist myself, I will try to view Chris? music as objectively as possible, being that I obviously enjoy his compositions and live sets, to give proper perspective on what he does. As stated by Chris in a conversation with him on the internet, ?The music I write is definitely influenced by social and political factors directly affecting the dance music scene. At the moment there's a lot of politics about dance music/progressive house being dead, so one of the things I try to do is address that and make tracks that will appeal to more than just the usual suspects, to disprove that theory.?. To me this makes it clear how Chris stands out as one of the innovators within the electronic music community. From repeated listening of his works as well as music sets, it is clear to me that while he retains some of the known aspects of the progressive genre of electronic music, he has an innate ability to create intelligent, original melodies, percussion, and grooves in all his
    works.

Electronic music is a genre that is not necessarily ?accepted? to society as a whole. Many people, especially the government, consider electronic music to be ?drug influenced? and ?not real music?. How can I say things like this without reference? Well, I have been told this specifically by many people, including my parents, and I?ve heard it spoken from the mouths of government officials on television and from the news on newscasts. To me, they simply do not understand how music can be created without the use of traditional instruments and sounds they are used to. These people simply cannot open their minds enough to see that harmony, rhythm, and melody can be created using whatever the composer chooses to use. The drug references I have heard about electronic music are simply untrue, and are the government?s as well as society?s attempts to pigeon- hole something they do not understand and do not care to understand. It is beyond their control or grasp, and that scares them. People choose to use substances and attend musical events of all genres, including classical music, jazz music, and the traditional forms of art music. It is nor fault nor should be repercussion of the composer, as artists for the most part choose to give synthesis to new forms of music because (despite pleasing other people) it is a pleasure in itself to give birth to new art. It is because of this they devote the majority of their lives to this interest, and they do this because of how fulfilling it is to themselves (most artists understand the drives of not only the other artists in their specific genre but of all artists, at least within the art music community).

Electronic music is considered ?popular music? by today?s standards, and it is played on the radio (many pop songs are in fact electronic songs with some sort of vocal behind them). The truly artistic and most innovative artists, however, are not played on the radio, and can only be heard through purchasing their recordings, or hearing them at a music festival or nightclub performance. To me, all of this (government/society against electronic music community) seems oddly similar to the way there was once a dissonance between music played in church and secular music. There once was a massive force against secular music, which was not understood in its own time, but now much of it is considered the most beautiful art music in the world today and is admired by the entire world. Electronic music seems to be today?s secular music. There is, however, even within the electronic music community much dissonance between the genres themselves and the fans of each specific genre. This is due to the fact that electronic music can take the form of so many different sounds, emotions, and moods. Different people within the community enjoy very different types of electronic music. For instance, some people really enjoy drum and bass, which is a broken beat at over 150 beats per minute, which is very fast, very hard/in your face kind of music (although it can also be floating and atmospheric). Others may enjoy more down tempo house music that is minimal, relaxed, and at around 120 beats per minute. Perhaps because of the very different types of sounds used at different speeds, and ways they are used, they attract very different audiences (even though it is all electronic, it varies very much within each genre, and varies even further by the instruments/sounds each different producer uses). Of course, as within every type of music, each specific artist/genre has its own specific loyal following.

One of the most interesting things about electronic music is that pretty much anyone can compose songs, and anyone can learn how to construct a set. There are countless numbers of amateur as well as professional producers of electronic music. There are even more original songs and remixes of songs out there. Electronic music is something very special, because the compositions can be anything that the creator can imagine. An artist can use organic instruments and record sounds off them, and then run the sound through a digital sampler, which can tweak the sound into something brand new. Also, anyone with a decently equipped computer system can use basic music production software to create songs all their own, without any specific musical knowledge (although, many of the world renowned and professional artists are trained musicians or have brilliant, innate gifts at music creation). Production of electronic music is very similar to the way a composer would create an orchestra. As opposed to the composer writing down notes for specific instruments on paper, a producer of electronic music would input notes specifically to a sequencer (be it hardware or software), which would trigger off the specific instrument, how loud the sound is triggered, the key it is in, etc, at the proper time. Technology has changed the way a masterpiece can be composed. One can only wonder what Bach or Mozart would have been able to compose using the technology of today. As opposed to in the days of the Renaissance or the Classical periods, most musicians today can easily get their music and resume? out via the internet or via compact discs. Proving yourself could be as easy as making copies of a compact disc and handing it over to the people who run a record label that you think would enjoy your production.

Most professional artists nowadays have a specific website that can give you the history of them, and what they are up to in terms of playing gigs or current production work. I will quote specifically from www.ChrisSalt.com his biography thus far in his music career:
    ?A 23 year old computer wizard with a degree from Cambridge University, Chris Salt is no stranger to music. Alongside his piano and violin training, Chris started writing dance tracks on his home computer at the young age of 11 in 1992 at the height of the rave scene of which he was a big fan.
    Chris carried on writing Prodigy-style acid-house tracks as a teenager but it was at university that he got into different types of music ranging from punk and indie to underground dance music. After playing lead guitar in a college punk covers band, Chris got into DJing and landed his first gig at a college ball put on in association with Slinky alongside Rob Tissera and John '00' Fleming. More university DJ gigs followed and acted as inspiration for Chris seriously to take up music production and he began to spend all his spare time writing music.

By becoming a journalist for the clubbing website Spaced in his final year at university, Chris reviewed several events and a load of vinyl promos which proved to be a good source of tunes for his university gigs. Around this time, Chris made friends with Chris Ferris, a progressive Melbourne DJ and a mate of Phil K's who taught him the art of key mixing records. Chris was so inspired by this that he has written his own key matching database software to come up with cool bootleg combinations.

It was around August 2002 that Chris began to make progress with his production work. Phone calls from EMI and Sony about his demos made him start to believe in himself and this was reflected in the quality of his music which in turn led DJ Ferris to play out one of Chris' tracks to 10,000 clubbers at a big festival. But it took another year of late nights and experimenting with synthesizer before more phone calls started coming from top progressive labels and DJs. Chris is now looking forward to a prolific production career with Silver Planet!?.

It is clear that Chris, at twenty three years of age, already has a very solid foundation of music in his life. His originally composed songs are very inspiring, and he has a bright future working for his label, Silver Planet Recordings (www.silverplanetrecordings.com). I asked Chris why he writes music, and who he writes it for, and he replied, ?That's trickier than it sounds! I'm not really sure. Mainly the music is designed for the clubbers on the dance floor and for the DJs to use in sets, but that's not completely why I write them. Music means a lot to me and I like to keep pushing myself and trying to do things I couldn't do before, so that's another reason why I write them. I suppose I mainly want to get my favorite DJs to play them?. Basically, what I believe Chris is saying here is that he writes music because he enjoys the challenge of creating new sounds and new songs that really touch people?s emotions around the world. He also has much respect for those that have come before him, as he wishes his favorite artists to play his music for an audience. To him it is not only amazing that his favorite artists respect him enough to play one of his songs, but its so inspiring that something he made is being appreciated in countless venues and by countless people across the globe, whether if they knew he made it or not. To me, as an artist, I completely understand this. At the moment, only I am playing my own songs, but I can only begin to imagine how it must feel to have something you created being played by the artists that inspired me in the beginning.

Artists around the world affect their social surroundings whether they realize it or not. Whether someone is actively listening to music or not, even if the music is just in the background, it is infecting their consciousness. The difference between simple noise and music, is noise is something that is tuned out, while music is created for pleasure. An infectious melody can get under out skin, and stay in our head for days after it is heard. Even if someone is not an avid music fan, their emotions could be influenced by what they hear. For instance, if someone is in a bar, and some uplifting music is being played, they may have a better time with their friends and see the atmosphere as more positive, than in a bar with no music. It is tied in with ?good times? for many people, that there is music being played, as it symbolizes life, happiness, celebration, and freedom. This to me is another reason electronic music is so special. Like much classical and jazz music, much electronic music is instrumental music. Instrumental music is so special to me, because there is no one trying to convey a specific idea, or specific story. It is left open to interpretation by the listener. This means that a song can have two completely different meanings for two different people. It can also mean the music itself is timeless, as it is not connected with words to a specific time period. It crosses language barriers, and people all over the world can unite at a music festival and everyone be enjoying the same rhythm, no one confused as to what is being expressed. Instrumental music is pure emotion, put into rhythm. It isn?t tied to specific vocals, and it isn?t dealing with drama or conflict, or telling a story with words like much music out there today. Instrumental music is so special because the sounds themselves are what are telling the story, drawing you deeper into a bigger picture. Songs themselves are ?unfinished? in electronic music, just how one specific piece of a symphony is ?unfinished?, in a set of electronic music, each song is the movement, a smaller piece of something larger, greater than itself. The songs come together, and are put into motion by a DJ (or they can be performed live), and are joined together by the artist playing them to create a seamless, non-stop set of music. The sounds flow together in an intelligent way, and continue to draw you into a journey as you listen. The DJ or performing artists will take the audience on an emotional journey, and make them feel every single emotion through sound, using different sounds to bring people into deep, dark places, as well as happy and uplifting places.

In terms of electronic music, appearances of the artist really aren?t what people attend the shows for. Unlike rock or pop, where image and attractiveness is (a lot of times) necessary for success, electronic music is colorblind, blind of race, and blind of anything else such as gender or beliefs. A lot of listeners of electronic music don?t even really know what the artists that made their songs look like. At any given night of electronic music, no one can possibly know the artist and name of every song being played, except those artists performing that night. There are just too many artists and producers out there for anyone to know every song. Even the top names in the industry cannot possibly know every song, because there are probably even more amateurs out there than big names, and many of those amateurs are possibly even better than many of the big names. I asked Chris Salt his viewpoints on image and its importance, and his response was interesting, he stated, ?A lot of people will deliberately try and dress up and wear really cool t-shirts or make a big statement or something, but I like to be a bit more understated because I really want the music to speak for itself. I try and go for the whole night when I'm there and really get a feel for the place, atmosphere and other DJs, and I try and present myself as an approachable person that anyone can chat to?. This statement really shows the maturity and intelligence of Chris as an artist. When he states ?I really want the music to speak for itself?, he really is capturing electronic music for me, and the way an artist of this type of music thinks. I believe it is very similar to most jazz and classical music and artists. They all can appreciate many different kinds of music, and like to include aspects of different genres into their sound. They are not about a false image or an image at all in terms of presenting themselves as anything other than being simply a human being. They are about expressing a sound they love so much, and a sound that is the pulse of their life.

Sources:
    The official site for DJ / producer Chris Salt. Releases on Vector Space, Silver Planet. Tour dates in London, New York, Tokyo. Just a month after signing his first record deal in 2003, Chris kicked off a DJ set in Tokyo, playing the first Saturday night at a prestigious new club in the heart of Shibuya. The night before, Chris had handed a white-label promo of ‘Dub Sonar’ to none other than renowned house DJ Satoshi Tomiie. Taking place on Chris’ 23rd birthday, his set was so well received that the promoters rebooked him two months later.Back home, the hype surrounding Chris’ productions and projects continued to grow. ‘Dub Sonar’ had received high profile DJ support from Nick Warren, Quivver, Slacker and Sander Kleinenberg, and the dance press sat up and took notice. The first single received great reviews in DJ mag, IDJ, DMC Update and M8, and a full page feature in M8 magazine followed soon after.Chris’ growing reputation as a prominent producer was solidified further with his remix of Flash Brothers’ ‘Ways’, which again received high profile DJ support from Sasha and further good press in DJ mag and M8 magazine, and the remix even topped the influential Hooj.com weekly chart. By this stage Silver Planet had asked Chris to compile and mix their third installment of the Fear series, following in the footsteps of James Holden and the Flash Brothers.The Fear 3 mix compilation was released on the anniversary of his first gig in Tokyo, achieving critical acclaim with the dance press declaring it an outstanding achievement and the best in the series. The release was promoted with a DJ tour spanning several UK dates and international bookings in Poland and Turkey.This also coincided with Silver Planet’s 50th release, which featured the Luke Chable remix of ‘Dub Sonar’ and Chris’ remix of Main Element’s ‘Delta Of Venus’. DJ support came from John Digweed, Kiss FM’s Steve Smart and Nick Warren, who charted it at number two. Chris’ second single, ‘Atmospheric Graffiti’ (debuted at his first gig in Tokyo), was picked up by Anthony Pappa for his Balance 006 compilation. Nick Warren declared it his tune of 2004 and Paul Van Dyk also supported it.Another mix compilation followed – ‘Future House’ on Kickin’ Records, receiving further good press and distribution deals from major players Universal and JVC. An international DJ tour to promote the release included dates at The Bomb in Nottingham, Turnmills in London, London Calling @ Earl’s Court and DJ sets in Shanghai, Amsterdam, Prague, Istanbul and Ankara.Silver Planet then signed Chris’ first artist album, ‘No Surrender’, which was released following new singles ‘Endgame’ and ‘Ik Ben Terug’. Support for the tracks and remixes came from Nick Warren, James Zabiela, Jody Wisternoff and Hybrid, and the dance press gave it strong reviews – DMC Update gave the album 4/5 and DJ Mag covered the singles.Having played alongside Jody Wisternoff, Hybrid, Lexicon Avenue, Phil K, Slacker and Andy Moor, with headline DJ sets in nine different countries and a 3 year DJ residency at London’s renowned Electronic Sessions, Chris is now making a welcome return to the scene, with tracks on Precinct and Lost Language, a remix of Jan Johnston’s Flesh and a new record label – Vector Space Recordings.

Interview with Chris Salt: June 12, 2004 (online)
    Domain for Sale. VibeNightclub.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

• Silicone Soul
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Wow, that was beautiful.... I really enjoyed reading that.

Comment

• Galapidate
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

You just inspired me for my senior project!

Comment

• Pataky P
        asdf_imo
        • Jun 2004

I'm don't like the electronic music!! :cry:

Comment

• rewing3
          I really don't care
          • Jun 2004

Great Paper, Hopefully you will get a A.
          Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• Daniel_Hemp
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Pataky P?l
            I'm don't like the electronic music!! :cry:

yo?r crazy? that beams here?

Smoke to all................

It does not smoke cigarette because lungs you have only two.
            Smoke marijuana; because neurons you have million.

Comment

• tiddles
              Encryption, Jr.
              • Jun 2004

why did you use first person?

F

ps. shut up pataky

Comment

• diskofreak
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

great paper
                what grade did ya get??

Comment

• neoee
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Very nice. Last 2 paragraphs gave me chills. Beautiful work. What grade did you get?
                  "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• unkownartist
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

Re: Paper I wrote on electronic music/today's society...

i,m saying nothing becuase i wrote a similar papare but i will say that the opening paragraph is incorrect

Comment

• skahound
                      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by red1
                      i,m saying nothing

I'd say that that's saying something.
                      A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                        Double hoodie beer monster
                        • Jun 2004

didn't momma teach you anything?

Comment

• Wanni
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Why did you dig up a 2 year old thead?
                          NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• unkownartist
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

becuase as i,m sure most of u are aware of by now i,m highly retarded and it came up on the similar threads bit @ the bottom lol

Comment

• chrissy1687
                              Fresh Peossy
                              • Oct 2006

good topic, but writing is average.

Comment

Working...