X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

(2008-03) MercuryRising 003 on MCast - guest Miroslav

this months guest is none other than Miroslav.

and my mix is a recording from a party back in April 2007.

you can see a short vid from me here

enjoy and apply feedback wherever necessary.

-Jib

available only @ mercuryserver

MercuryRising 003 [March 2008] - Miroslav

For the past ten years, Miroslav has been on a self-imposed journey of reflection, awareness, and growth through most varieties of electronic music. He’s the kind of guy who can happily spend the entire (and he means entire) day at Gramaphone Records when he visits Chicago. He makes no secret about being an obsessive perfectionist who will readily devote weeks, even months to building the perfect tracklist. Simply put, this is not just a hobby; Miroslav lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff each and every single day.

Originally from Slovakia, Miroslav (yes, his real name) grew up in the Midwestern USA in a very musical household, where he spent his high school and college years training extensively as a classical flute player and later as a self-taught guitar player. Everything changed for him one day in the summer of 1997, when a listening of DJ Shadow’s “The Number Song” set him on a musical path that would take him through downtempo, indie hip hop, drum ‘n bass, ambient, deep house, progressive house and finally minimal house/deep techno. An all-vinyl DJ now for the past five years, he has invested many thousands of dollars in his 600+ record collection and has earned a handsome return despite never making a cent off of his obsession. He’s played out on a variety of occasions, but a full-time graduate student schedule keeps him pretty busy; he can most often be found playing at all-night after-hours parties with old friends.

“This music is a precise reflection of who I am; it’s hard for me to even put into words the philosophical and therapeutic implications that a constantly changing musical loop has for me. It’s the perfect mood equivalent to meditation; it’s like immersing yourself in a slowly changing kaleidoscope or watching clouds pass overhead on a summer day. I don’t think I’ll ever outgrow this.”

“I really find that the minimal/tech sound provides me with a detour from traditional chord progressions that yields many beautiful, mind-expanding subtleties. At the same time, I recognize that a bunch of glitchy minimal tracks strung together can fall really flat, and so I try hard to maintain the right melodic elements and the right flow throughout the set. I want to really push myself to extensively merge different tracks throughout the composition to create something new that wasn’t there before. And I want it to be a true performance, so I manually mix everything live with no edits.”

“In the future, I’ll probably branch out into different kinds of media and technologies, and I’ll become serious about my own production. But I’ll never forsake my records. To me, there’s nothing like digging through the crates and lining up those beats on the ones and twos.”

01. Mathew Jonson – Freedom Engine [Itiswhatitis]
    02. Rene Breitbarth – Clouds under Me [Regular]
    03. Adultnapper – Juror No.9 [Audiomatique]
    04. Der Schmeisser feat. Jonny & Der Tietz – Minimailundwir (DOP Remix) [Einmaleins Musik]
    05. Edit Select – Reduktion [Edit Select]
    06. Barem – Then They… [M_nus]
    07. Yapacc – Coral Garden [WIR]
    08. Martin Buttrich – Hunted [Cocoon Recordings]
    09. Gui Boratto – The Blessing [Kompakt]
    10. Butane – How Low Can You Go (Lee Curtiss’ RockBottom Remix) [Dumb-Unit]
    11. Xhin – 5th Hour [Railyard Recordings]
    12. Sweet ‘N Candy – Dirty Gotches (Visionquest Remix) [Dumb-Unit]
    13. Rekleiner – Q Onda [Connaisseur Recordings]
    14. Gregor Tresher – Running Systems [Great Stuff Recordings]
    15. Rekleiner – Dos Caminos [Connaisseur Recordings]
    16. Sarah Goldfarb – One Hundred and Ten Farenheit [Roman,Photo]
    17. Barem – Ponymal Morning [M_nus]
    18. Thomas Melchior & Luciano – Father [Cadenza]
    19. Robert Babicz – Sonntag (Miroslav’s Parallel “Father/Cadenza” Edit) [K2]
    Last edited by picklemonkey; November 30, 2008, 01:36:30 PM.
  • ribbario
    Underwater
    • Aug 2006

Re: MercuryRising 003 on MCast (March 200

Awesome !
    Mixes !!!

Comment

• herre
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

nice stuff - what wass the first track you played thats an awesome tune?

Comment

• Jibgolly
        Vortexuralizor
        • Jun 2004

its a trentemoller track. i forget the name of it without digging thru my cd book.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

cheers stevo!
          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Haegow
            Fresh Peossy
            • Sep 2011

Re: (2008-03) MercuryRising 003 on MCast - guest Miroslav

Delicious

Comment

Working...