X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aptentinc
    Getting warmed up
    • Sep 2008

COLETTE joins apt roster for North America and Europe

With her disarming doe eyes and a heartwarming demeanor, Colette possesses the unmistakable voice of post-millennial house music. Her sweet-but-sultry voice has been called "angelic" so many times, it's a miracle she hasn't grown wings: Imagine a less breathy Kylie Minogue merged with a more controlled Roisin Murphy (Moloko) and you have a good grasp on her classy voice that highlights any beat that flows behind it. Whereas in the late 80s, the diva reigned supreme and made the music cower, Colette has kept it deliciously simple and always melodic, making the former choirgirl-cum-Chicago-house-siren a mainstay of modern dance music.

And it's been that way for a minute -- as raves were starting to wind down throughout the nation in the late 90s, Colette was busting through the "novelty act" stereotype that kept many women DJs corralled like VIP ropes guarding a Hollywood hotspot. But ever since she started her SuperJane troupe with fellow Chicagoan DJs Dayhota, Lady D. and Heather (celebrating over 10 years), Colette's paved the way for other women seeking equal time behind the decks as their male counterparts. Things came full circle in 2006, when the Los Angeles transplant reunited with Heather for a stateside tour promoting the "House Of Om" mix they did together. It was a busy year -- Colette also played an intense set at Coachella, kept up her long running residency at "World's Best Club" Smartbar and toured with fellow Om house soldier Kaskade.
    And no signs of slowing for Colette with her second artist album, Push...

If Push plays out anything like her first artist album, Hypnotized, Colette’s endless nights will have been more than worth the effort. Hypnotized became the most downloaded dance album on iTunes (US), and featured dance floor burners like "What Will She Do for Love" (Billboard's No. 1 Dance Club Play Single) and the title track, which was licensed to The Devil Wears Prada soundtrack. In just a few years time, Colette was featured as a "Newcomer to Watch" in JANE Magazine, filed under "Hot New Music" in Interview Magazine, graced the cover of XLR8R, and named in URB's Next 100.

Just like on Hypnotized, Push has got serious dance floor ammo with its tricky, funneled beats and overall playful vibe, but it can slink into dark-and-sexy mode too, making the record just as diverse as its cast. Home and Garden, Santiago & Bushido, Drew K, Chuck Love, Fab, Lucy Woodward share production credit, to name a few. Colette’s sexy, jazzy alto is featured perfectly on "If" and first single, "About Us." It easily could rock the airwaves on a Friday night mainstream pop station and slay the crowd at any dance club, and has already been remixed by tastemaker Derrick Carter. Showing off pop-savvy lyrics that are still perfect for the club, Colette sings of love lost: "I'll tell you something that you need to know/ I'm sick of tryin' and I'm not so sure/ I've lost the feeling from so long ago/You say you love me but you don't care about us"

Keeping things varied four tracks in, "Funny" features Om: Hip Hop new signing and fellow URB “Next 100” featured artist Black Spade, and the resulting vibe is chill with a bit of swagger -- complete with shiny synths over a tripped-up tempo.

See Colette in these cities

aptProfile
    Artist Website
    Facebook
    Twitter

For Booking Info Contact nneka@aptentertainment.com

For more info visit www.aptentertainment.com
Working...