X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mixu
    Travel Guru Extraordinaire
    • Jun 2004

America's war on itself

Read this with a pinch of salt as the main thrust is global warming, but it's an interesting point of view nonetheless... and you can scream 'bloody liberals' all you like, I never said I agreed with it.

Both Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were groomed and armed by the United States. Until the invasion of Iraq, there were no links between the Ba'athists and al-Qaida: now Bush's government has created the monster it claimed to be slaying. The US army developed high-grade weaponised anthrax in order, it said, to work out what would happen if someone else did the same. No one else was capable of producing it: the terrorist who launched the anthrax attacks in 2001 took it from one of the army's laboratories. Now US researchers are preparing genetically modified strains of smallpox on the same pretext, and with the same likely consequences. The Pentagon's space-based weapons programme is being developed in response to a threat which doesn't yet exist, but which it is likely to conjure up. The US government is engaged in a global war with itself. It is like a robin attacking its reflection in a window.

Nowhere is this more obvious than in its assaults on the multilateral institutions and their treaties. Listening to some of the bunkum about the United Nations venting from Capitol Hill at the moment, you could be forgiven for believing that the UN was a foreign conspiracy against the United States. It was, of course, proposed by a US president, launched in San Francisco and housed in New York, where its headquarters remain. Its Universal Declaration of Human Rights, characterised by Republicans as a dangerous restraint upon American freedoms, was drafted by Franklin D Roosevelt's widow. The US is now the only member of the UN security council whose word is law, with the result that the UN is one of the world's most effective instruments for the projection of American power.

The secret deals in Iraq for which the United Nations is currently being attacked by US senators were in fact overseen by the US government. It ensured that Saddam could evade sanctions by continuing to sell oil to its allies in Jordan and Turkey. Republican congressmen are calling on Kofi Annan to resign for letting this happen, apparently unaware that it was approved in Washington to support American strategic objectives. The US finds the monsters it seeks, as it pecks and flutters at its own image.
    George Monbiot: Bush's wrecking tactics over climate change follow an established pattern of self-destruction.
    Ask me a question...
  • cosmo
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Should I take the time to rebut all of the guardians lies?

All of this is twisted propoganda.

Comment

• mixu
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by cosmo

Send George an email cosmo :wink:

mail@monbiot.com
      Ask me a question...

Comment

• Yao
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

This piece is really a bit overdone I think, but given the fact that the US is part of the UN, the US is just as guilty as the rest.

Instead of just bashing the UN they should try to back Anna's reform plans and make sure it gets done, to make the UN a little more assertive in adressing problems and conflicts.
        Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• rubyraks
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

The UN as an institution has passed it's time. It was built for a cold-war mentality which no longer exists and the institution refuses to reform itself to meet the changing times. I don't necessarily agree with every reason the US has come up with not to participate in UN activities, but I do believe they may go to extremes to force the UN to reform itself before it self-destructs.

An interesting point I recently heard was discussing the UN's lack of standards. To have Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Sudan! on the commission for human rights is beyond laughable. It's an absolute insult to anyone who actually respects human rights.

and I'm not even getting into the oil-for-food scandal or who actually has a seat on the security council (Pakistan!...how could you take this organization seriously?). Until the UN reforms itself, even this oft-liberal says we should f&^* em. Noone else is going to force them to do it, they all love having as much if not more power than the US in this faux-institution.

I believe in their ideals, but they need to learn how those ideals have come to blind them from reality.
          "Work like you don't need the money.
          Love like you've never been hurt.
          Dance like nobody's watching.
          Sing like nobody's listening.
          Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• Yao
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

Now that is something I can agree with right now. The intentions are good, but somehow the organisation pollluted itself by allowing those countries in it that are totally opposite to, or at least not in line with the thoughts behind the concept.

I may support the intentions, and the way it works, but damn I wish it would shrink to the countries that really can be behind its original founding principles. And they neglegted to adapt the latter ones to changing times, which is the most stupid thing to do IMO.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• mixu
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rubyraks
              The UN as an institution has passed it's time. It was built for a cold-war mentality which no longer exists and the institution refuses to reform itself to meet the changing times. I don't necessarily agree with every reason the US has come up with not to participate in UN activities, but I do believe they may go to extremes to force the UN to reform itself before it self-destructs.

An interesting point I recently heard was discussing the UN's lack of standards. To have Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Sudan! on the commission for human rights is beyond laughable. It's an absolute insult to anyone who actually respects human rights.

and I'm not even getting into the oil-for-food scandal or who actually has a seat on the security council (Pakistan!...how could you take this organization seriously?). Until the UN reforms itself, even this oft-liberal says we should f&^* em. Noone else is going to force them to do it, they all love having as much if not more power than the US in this faux-institution.

I believe in their ideals, but they need to learn how those ideals have come to blind them from reality.
              Amen to that Ruby... although just to clarify, Pakistan's two-year term on the security council ends next week. There are five permanent members and 10 temporary... although the five ultimately hold the power.

Whether the proposed reforms of the UN go far enough, it remains to be seen though...
              Ask me a question...

Comment

• White_Hindu
                Getting Somewhere
                • Dec 2004

I love being liberal. I agree with you 10,000%. That's ten thousand just in case you aren't sure.

Comment

• cosmo
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mixu

Send George an email cosmo :wink:

mail@monbiot.com

Do you really think he would care? Through his warped tunnel, he already has his view of our president constrained into one image:

A hillbilly redneck, backwards thinking, fascist nazi, with an IQ of 25, that has conversations with god.

Distorted to say the least.

Comment

• HoneyBearKelly
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

Do you really think he would care? Through his warped tunnel, he already has his view of our president constrained into one image:

A hillbilly redneck, backwards thinking, fascist nazi, with an IQ of 25, that has conversations with god.

Distorted to say the least.
                    If you're saying that he did it to himself then I agree.
                    Cat formerly known as Cheshire
                    *cue imperial death march"

Comment

• cosmo
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

If you're saying that he did it to himself then I agree.
                      ??huh??

Comment

• qwerty2222
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

i dont really believe these conspiracy
                        us had their interst in iraq because of the oil, and with osama, he is a terorist and he has to be anihilated
                        i believe its as simple as that
                        what i believe is that us should not have the right to start wars whenever it likes and the other countries in the nato union should have a word in that matter
                        but it seems its a dictatory regim what does in that union, powered by fear

Comment

• neur0t0xin64
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

Re: America's war on itself

propaganda!!!!! blah blah blah!!!!! liberal tree hugging cowards!! I'm sick of you all pussifying the USA. Leave our children alone, bring back the pre and immediately post WW2 era. forget about vietnam and the teaching of that tree-hugging coward dominated era.!!!!!! get a job hippies!!!!! as for the new hippies, the real hippies sold out because they new their movement was more full of shit than they were!
                          "In case of doubt, attack." --- Gen. George Patton

Comment

• Yao
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

Take a prozac Neuro.

Comment

• White_Hindu
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by qwerty2222
                              i dont really believe these conspiracy
                              us had their interst in iraq because of the oil, and with osama, he is a terorist and he has to be anihilated
                              i believe its as simple as that
                              what i believe is that us should not have the right to start wars whenever it likes and the other countries in the nato union should have a word in that matter
                              but it seems its a dictatory regim what does in that union, powered by fear
                              Osama Bin Laden was not in Iraq. If the Iraqis wanted freedom, they would've overthrown Saddam themselves. I heard the Iraqis being trained to fight shit themselves at the first sign of a firefight.

Comment

Working...