• asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

Iran Vs. UK

c o p y p a s t e

Iran Confiscates U.K. Military Vessels
    Jun 21, 10:33 AM (ET)
    By ALI AKBAR DAREINI

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran said Monday it had confiscated three British naval vessels and arrested eight armed crew members. The Royal Navy acknowledged it had lost contact with three small patrol boats on a routine mission in the waterway between Iraq and Iran.

British officials did not confirm the boats were captured or the crewmembers detained.

"I can confirm that three small Royal Navy patrol boats and eight crew have been out of communication since the early hours of this morning," said a British military spokesman in the southern Iraqi city of Basra on condition of anonymity. "It is not unusual for the Royal Navy to be patrolling the Shatt-al-Arab" waterway.

Iranian-British relations have been strained in recent days, since London helped draft a resolution at the International Atomic Energy Agency's board of governors meeting last week in Vienna that rebuked Iran for past cover-ups involving its development of nuclear technology.

Iran says its program is aimed only at producing energy, while the United States accuses Tehran of trying to develop nuclear weapons. Iran accused Britain of caving in to U.S. pressure on the resolution.

The three British ships entered Iranian territorial waters not far from the Iran-Iraq border, the Arabic language Al-Alam television reported.

"Iranian forces confiscated the ships and eight military personnel on board," the report said.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi confirmed the report, according to Iran's main Persian language TV channel.

"Interrogation of those detained will continue until the matter is clarified," Asefi was quoted as saying.

The Royal Navy said it had lost contact with three small patrol boats early Monday.

"I can confirm that three small Royal Navy patrol boats and eight crew have been out of communication since the early hours of this morning," said a British military spokesman in Basra, Iraq, said on condition of anonymity. "It is not unusual for the Royal Navy to be patrolling the Shatt-al-Arab."

The Iranian TV report said crew members were carrying maps and weapons. It also said the ships were confiscated about 11 a.m. between the Bahmanshir and Arvand rivers, which would put them in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway east of the Iraqi city of Faw.

The ministry said there were no British warships operating in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway but some smaller vessels were there.

"We are assisting the Iraqi water police there so it may be one of those vessels," a spokesman said on condition of anonymity. "We don't know."

The Foreign Office said British diplomats in Tehran had been in contact with the Iranian government but it was still unclear what had happened.

The Royal Navy has been training Iraqi personnel in coastal defense for several weeks on the waterway, and it is possible that the vessels were part of that exercise.

dead, yet alive.
  • brakada
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

hmm, shouldn't you have posted that in the politics forum?
    We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

I was not sure. I did not think so, because it was really a military event. Yet the basis is political, so I kind went on the curve ball there. More or less, I just thought it was interesting. I am not looking to start a political thread. So ... I think ... I hope ... I am safe.

dead, yet alive.

Comment

• LV-8
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by brakada
        hmm, shouldn't you have posted that in the politics forum?
        It's news. No political statement being made here.

Comment

• factorg
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Re: Iran Vs. UK

Game on then

Originally posted by asdf_admin
          Iranian-British relations have been strained in recent days, since London helped draft a resolution at the International Atomic Energy Agency's board of governors meeting last week in Vienna that rebuked Iran for past cover-ups involving its development of nuclear technology.

Iran says its program is aimed only at producing energy, while the United States accuses Tehran of trying to develop nuclear weapons. Iran accused Britain of caving in to U.S. pressure on the resolution.
          And nor should they be given the ability to make nuclear weapons. They can say it's just for energy but the potential will alway's be there for them if they have "nuclear power site's". Not a good idea me thinks....

"Interrogation of those detained will continue until the matter is clarified," Asefi was quoted as saying.
          I wonder what kind of interogation that will be?
          "..truth has a habit of marching on.."

Comment

• brakada
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

I was not sure. I did not think so, because it was really a military event.
            so is the war in Iraq. :wink:

back to the topic. I think nothing serious will come out of this. It will probably be similar to North / South Korean conflicts or even "milder". A few harsh words and nothing else, although they won't get the boats back.

Or maybe Iran is already collecting hostages if they're next to be attacked by the Anti-terrorist coallition.
            We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• Yao
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Long time no see brakada, welcome back

It's a warning from Iran that it will not accept any Western presence or mingling in it's business anymore. Let's see what happens...
              Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• runningman
                Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                • Jun 2004

WAR is gonna happen ^^.. Sounds like a little covert op went bad to me.

Comment

• Hos
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
                  Long time no see brakada, welcome back

It's a warning from Iran that it will not accept any Western presence or mingling in it's business anymore. Let's see what happens...
                  are you high Yao?

brakada made that post in 2004
                  black is the new black www.mercuryserver.com

Comment

• Yao
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

bwhahhaha....then how the fuck did this post get bumped?
                    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• palmer
                      Retired or Simply Important
                      • Jun 2004

HAHA. Second time in a matter of weekz yaozer.

Joeston we have a problem.
                      todayistomorrow
                      art direction | design | animation

Comment

Working...