Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Photos of Modern Hotels

The Met Hotel in Thessaloniki

Photo © Vangelis Paterakis
    The Met Hotel in Thessaloniki
    The project was brought to reality by Zege Architects, a practice based in Greece that is known for its dynamic architecture and its prime attention to detail.
    The hotel consists of 212 guestrooms accompanied by accommodations such as Spa, VIP Lounge, Conference rooms, Gourmet Restaurants and atmospheric bars. This contemporary hotel welcomes you to the space from the instant that you pull up in the driveway. The lobby/reception area is generously open plan inviting you to walk through the space and explore the mod living in front of the dynamic fire place or the lounging comfort of the alternative living ambiences. There is a strictness and seriousness expressed in the interiors which is put forward through the straight edge clear cut furniture combined with artistic accessories and dynamic artwork. Just looking around the lobby you will only recognize items and furniture from high enders.
    This same concept of ‘High End’ has been carried through to one of the restaurants ‘Chan’ designed by Andy Martin which may remind you the famous Blue Frog by Chris Lee and Kapil Gupta in Mumbai. The language however is extremely different here, giving a variation to the interiors and treating it like a ‘boutiesque’ project. Here there is a space within a space approach designed for intimacy and privacy. The soft materials relax the diner and make him feel isolated and intimate within the circular forms of seating. As opposed to the lobby which is for the public this interior makes you instantly understand that beyond these entrance doors is an interior for the more private and the exclusive. This notion is not carried through to the second restaurant which is designed with an approachable ambience.
    One of the most dominant architectural features is the surrounding glazed atrium between these two restaurants. This inside/outside space is the prime focus of the ground floor allowing natural day light to trespass within the interior and at the same time creat an urban area within a paved ‘cityesque’ surrounding. This environmental presence is the perfect balance between the strict mod language of the interior and the natural earth like quality of the landscaped exterior.
    Glazing and natural day light plays a prime role. In the Spa the design language is kept simplistic and edgy. Day light is present in a controlled form and throughout the whole interior a hygienic essence is present, which is achieved through the clean-cut detailing. The light toned materials reminisce the naturality of it all, in contrast with the strong glazing surrounding the pool.
    Every interior has the same design approach, maximizing and minimizing the levels of intensity according to its function. In the corridors leading to the bedrooms we experience volume and warmth through the structural wood panel forms. Arriving inside the bedrooms there is the presence of wood, lacquer and glazing. Three finishes combined with smooth fabrics to create a luxurious but approachable space. An interior that reminds you of a glamorous guest house were you feel comfortable in the room but at the same time you are cautious within it as you understand its of prime importance.
    The Met Hotel is a leading example to contemporary design. It has form, ambience, luxury, sexiness and comfort. A building that understands the language of the visitor and the essence of a very important word in the Hotel Industry ‘exclusive design’.

The 16 large-size works and installations of the hotel's collection are accessible to hotel guests as well as visitors. It is yet another cultural highlight for the City of Thessaloniki, featuring artists like Andreas Gursky, Thomas Struth, Bill Viola, Jenny Holzer and Jannis Varelas whose works are exhibited in the world's most famous collections and museums. The result of this art event easily compares to top-notch museum collections.

It was fun while it lasted...
  • floridaorange
    • Dec 2005

Re: Photos of Modern Hotels

ALTIS Belem Hotel by RISCO Architects

Located on the Atlantic Coast, Lisbon is the largest city and capital of Portugal. This alpha city is considered one of the most important financial and economic centers in the Iberian Peninsula. Lisbon is rich in history and culture and it has always celebrated their most precious resource, its beautiful coastline. As this region is the wealthiest and well above European Union's GDP average it has an extensive array of modern and luxurious projects unfolding.

The hotel has a very unique element that allows it to screen the sunlight from the 50 rooms. The exterior facade acts as a screen permitting views but deflecting direct heat from the rays.
    photo © FG + SG // Fotografia de Arquitectura
    RISCO is organized into teams with a variable geometry, because they believe in diversity as a source of knowledge and in having multiple forms of know-how take part in each project. They don’t always do the same thing in the same way. Critical reflection about what they do is what makes them move forward. Perhaps that coastline does impact behavioral and business practices after all!
    Discover Altis Belem Hotel &Spa through the pictures that follow //

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

Not a hotel exactly, but some great classic designs with a modern twist.

KETTNER's by studioilse // Reinventing a Legend

exterior view
      photo © Paul Raeside
      This space located in what was the French Quarter of London’s Soho, housed in four Georgian houses running up to five floors and accommodating spaces such us, lounge nooks, pudding bar, champagne bar, brasserie & private living was founded in 1867 by Napoleon III former chef, August Kettner and has been the gem of many centuries and a secret passageway in the basement running to the Palace Theatre. It was the rendez vous point for majestic and bohemian celebrities such as Oscar Wilde, King Edward VII and mistress Lillie Langtry, Agatha Christie and Bing Crosby. Reminiscent of these figures suave, elegance, scandal, drama and aristocracy the successful revamp took place.

CHAMPAGNE BAR
      CHAMPAGNE BAR
      photo © Paul Raeside

Classic French onion soup (left)
      Kettner’s champagne jelly and lemon tart (right)
      photo © Paul Raeside
      SALON

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

Absolutely gorgeous. I don't know why but I absolutely love minimal designs like in the first and second post. Why don't I see anything like this in the USA? I cannot get enough of this type of stuff, I don't know why but would love to be able to afford to buy a place to live surrounded by this type of look. I guess I am more German than American. I love the Bauhaus school and buy Wallpaper* magazine and if I see an Architectural Digest on the shelf the bookstore with a modern minimal style on the cover I pick it up. I think Phaidon has some good art book output for this type of thing, but is very pricey.

Great pics.

Comment

• floridaorange
          • Dec 2005

^i've got a few, including this one which is great:

and I definitely want to develop a boutique hotel one day that's ultra modern...

so tasty, love this pic:

Comment

• res0nat0r
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • May 2006

^Taschen, that is another great line of books. I bet that has some great stuff in it. Man I wish I was rich!!

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

this is gorgeous stuff.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

^photo 2 is an ambient album covermount in the making

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

No kidding, that just looks relaxing. I'll ask Micko if he's seen it on any of his CD covers

Also that reminds me, I've always wanted to go to Iceland and go to the spas in Reykjavík‎, this type of design makes me think of this. I think this would be so relaxing and amazing.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Comment

• res0nat0r
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • May 2006

time to find out how i can convert that to my new avatar.

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Not a hotel, but....

Joey Roth// Ceramics Sound great!

Image Courtesy of Joey Roth
                            What kind of music were you listening to when designing the ceramic speakers? Could you share with us as an ideal top ten of all times?
                            While I was working on the speakers, I was listening to the Diplo/ Santogold album Top Ranking. I also listen to Ghostface, Nine Inch Nails, Dirty Projectors, and John Coltrane when I work.
                            Once it was time to dial in the sound by experimenting with different drivers, wires, and enclosure geometries, I listened to Sunn 0))). This is the heaviest, darkest music I have ever heard, and and might be the heaviest and darkest that can possibly be made. It did a very good job of testing the system's capabilities. My girlfriend introduced me to Shuggie Otis and Gil Scott-Heron while I was experimenting as well. I've grown to like them very much.
                            So that's eight; I also love traditional Huayno music from Peru and Grime music from the UK.

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

BOSCOLO Exedra Hotel in Milan

The opening of the five star urban Hotel aims at defining
                              the new concept in hotels that are “open to the city.”

Comment

Working...