Re: Photos of Modern Hotels

shocking....
    (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

I've always wondered how life would be for me if I lived in these beautiful spaces. I think it would shape your daily life, and I wonder what it would be like.

Comment

• floridaorange
        I'm merely a humble butler
        • Dec 2005

Archangel Hotel Restaurant and Bar - Frome, Somerset

published in: Travel By Lauren Del Vecchio, 17 September 2010

Bedroom with angel detail from Fra Angelico's Angel of the Annunciation, photo by Iain Kemp
        The Archangel Hotel sits in the center of Frome, Somerset (South West England) a lively little town made up of creative types, beautiful landscapes, and mom-and-pop shops. A view from the outside presents a modest building that was once a medieval coaching inn called The Angel. In fact, the outside of the carriage house probably looks much like it did in the 18th Century thanks to the white painted brick, the shingled roof top, and the dark paned glass windows.
        Frome is one of many jewels in this part of the English countryside, with Bath, Glastonbury, Bristol, and Stonehenge all nearby. The landscapes in this corner of the world are breathtaking, attracting many visitors for many years, yet, the Archangel Hotel Restaurant and Bar is bringing a new type of buzz to the quaint area.

The Naval Room, photo by Iain Kemp

The Naval Room, photo by Iain Kemp
        Piers Taylor of Mitchell Taylor Workshops is the architect who transformed the aged and crumbling building. Taylor managed to maintain the history by preserving the patina on the original walls, and the medieval cobblestoned road in the middle of the property. These touches work beautifully in giving the hotel and restaurant/bar a rustic feel amidst the updated luxurious renovations.

Bedroom with detail of The Annunciation by Leonardo da Vinci, photo by Iain Kemp

The En-suite Bathroom, photo by Iain Kemp
        On the interior, the designer Louise Waterfield (in collaboration with designer Niki Turner) brings elegant touches to each of the six bedrooms as well as the restaurant and bar areas. Stone, wood, leather, zinc, and glass are successfully used throughout the interior to provide the “English countryside comfort” vibe that is the foundation for the stylish accents added into the design here and there. Details such as a freestanding zinc bathtub simultaneously provide the guest with nostalgia and high-end hospitality. Stemming from the name itself, two of the bedrooms are adorned with a mural of an archangel that looks over the suite (one of the angels is a re-creation of The Annunciation by Leonardo da Vinci, another from Fra Angelico’s Angel of the Annunciation). The rooms are designed in a palette of deep, rich purples and golds. Dark oak floors and velvet curtains in all of the bedrooms ensure that each guest feels like royalty.

The restaurant fills the three floors of the old hay barn near the main house. One of the levels is called The Cube; “a free-floating mezzanine that seats up to twelve people around a single table” for family style dining. The restaurant has a lively feel with a Brasserie menu designed specifically for a “fun” dining experience. The restored barn is accented by seventy Italian-made mustard yellow chairs and candle lights (Xenon lamps with handmade porcelain sleeves) designed by the well known light artist Bruce Munro.

The dining room, photo by Iain Kemp
        From a design perspective, one has to appreciate the care that was taken in the design to keep the bucolic “rough around the edges” feel apparent among the style and elegance of the modern day boutique hotel and trendy restaurant/bar. The hotel itself sums it up quite well on their website; Archangel offers “beauty, history, modernity, light, a good glass of wine, and fresh seasonal food.” Sounds to me like the perfect combination all under one roof.

Exterior, Archangel, Night, photo by Iain Kemp

The Garden, photo by Iain Kemp
        sources:

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• jeffrey collins
          Not cool enough
          • Jun 2004

^^^That looks like a cool hotel. Wouldn't really call it modern, as the building is definitely over 100 years old. But their bow to the great Renaissance painters is something that would truly make me wanna stay there. Though these days, i'd rather rent someone's apartment for a month than stay in a hotel for a week.
          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

^yah, I've strayed away from posting strictly modern hotels to include modernized (improved) old buildings as well....see the vacation in home in Greece for another example.

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

I love the dining room and the faucets on the sinks are very cool.

Comment

• Global Eyes
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Bam!

Modern Architecture is an architectural style in which innovative construction technologies determine the design and shape of buildings, and form prevails over ornament. Modern architectural style is a rational interweaving of possibilities of modern technologies with unusual and sometimes eccentric forms of buildings.

There's some other cool shit here as well.

Comment

• fatalfelix
                  Platinum Poster
                  • May 2008

Can someone reup the pictures on page 1 please . One of my favourite hotels:

Puro Hotel. The best thing about these pictures are that I'm getting chilled out only by looking at them .

"Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Comment

• fatalfelix
                    Platinum Poster
                    • May 2008

Convent De La Missio

Rosewood Mayakoba

Domaine De Verchant

Las Alcobas

Or look on this link for some more delicous hotels: http://www.onedayonehotel.com/
                    "Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

Here's a house in LA I wouldn't mind living in:

Comment

• fatalfelix
                        Platinum Poster
                        • May 2008

Hell yeah, I love those big flipping doors (love the swimming pool picture) .

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by fatalfelix
                          Hell yeah, I love those big flipping doors (love the swimming pool picture) .
                          Yah that's key for sure... either doors like that or some kind of electric sliding door . Oh yes, one day

Again, this isn't a hotel, but a pretty cool pad in Madrid.

Comment

• fatalfelix
                            Platinum Poster
                            • May 2008

I like the basic colors in the interior. It gives the house a really relaxing vibe and the garden looks even better when you look outside .

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                              I've always wondered how life would be for me if I lived in these beautiful spaces. I think it would shape your daily life, and I wonder what it would be like.
                              it absolutely would. i

Comment

• Illuminate
                                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                                • Aug 2009

Suppose you don't need to be surrounded by over the top furniture and Swedish designed fittings to be fulfilled. I always think a personal effort goes a log way; being both inexpensive and more rewarding and satisfying. My short term goals were to firstly repaint the whole house, which I have to some ridiculous colours. Now my next goals are to stencil some walls, and in the background only hang photos and canvas' that I've made. Framing photos is a painful and expensive procedure, but worth all the effort.

With anything the more you see it, live it, the more you get use to it. After a year or so you'd probably feel the same as you would living in your current place.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
                                Sbando
                                - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
                                Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
                                Bob
                                "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
                                the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
                                KiwiTollway

Comment

Working...