X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

XBMC Media Center

So I just installed XBMC Live on a spare dedicated PC that I just got my hands on. I chose to install the OS that came with XBMC, rather than installing it on top of a custom ubuntu OS. I didn't want a "computer," but instead I wanted TV in a room that doesn't have a cable box. This is the first time I've ever played with XBMC, and I have to admit that I'm lost. I think it's because everything on the Internet talks about editing files/configs/etc, but the XBMC Live version doesn't appear to have any of that--the program IS the OS, so I don't know how to do much!

I don't plan on ripping movies for this. I only want to get TV channels streaming to it... Comedy Central or Discovery, for example. I'm reading on the Internet that it's possible to stream live channels (here, for example) on XBMC, but again, it all seems to involve downloading/unzipping/copying stuff which I don't think I can do. Does anybody have any experience with XBMC Live, or at least any general XBMC knowledge at all that may be able to help me get some TV channel streaming going?

I realize some stations may be too modest to allow for full streaming, and I recognize that maybe I'm just missing the point with this whole HTPC concept. If someone could point me to how to do any channel (Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, etc) in XBMC Live, and any resources you might be aware of to identify other stations for streaming, I'd love to hear what you know so I can make a decision on how to use this technology myself!
  • picklemonkey
    • Jun 2004

Re: XBMC Media Center

This says I can stream the last 4 weeks worth of The Daily Show:

Here's South Park:

And this mentions I can do many streaming TV channels:

My problem is I don't know how to manage files or the filesystem with the XBMC Live version. I'd like to learn how to stream full channels where possible, but I'd also be happy with setting up individual show streams like this provided I knew how to set it up in XMBC Live

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

wait till res0 starts off typing in here, he's gotten pretty good with xmbc - not to mention he's a uneex hax0r
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• picklemonkey
        • Jun 2004

I gave up and went with Boxee. So far I love it

Comment

• Kamal
          Administrator
          • May 2002

wmc imo
          www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
          he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
          I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

Since pickle gave up on this and mentioned the Discovery Channel, I guess it's not highjacking to mention I'll be on Discovery Health Channel on Dr. G Medical Examiner tonight... I'm waiting to find out what the name of the episode is ... I'm one of 2 killers.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Get XMBC to launch in full screen on system boot up

Download and install XBMC. Then, head to its installation folder—by default, that's C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC, and right-click on the XBMC.exe program. Choose "Create Shortcut", then drag that shortcut into your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder. This ensures that XBMC will start up automatically with your computer. You may also want to go to %APPDATA%\XBMC/Userdata and add the following line to AdvancedSettings.xml, under the first line:

<fullscreen>true</fullscreen>Pdownload and install XBMC. Then, head to its installation folder—by default, that's C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC, and right-click on the XBMC.exe program. Choose "Create Shortcut", then drag that shortcut into your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder. This ensures that XBMC will start up automatically with your computer. You may also want to go to %APPDATA%\XBMC/Userdata and add the following line to AdvancedSettings.xml, under the first line:

<fullscreen>true</fullscreen>

This ensures XBMC will always start in full screen.
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

Download xbmcbuntu from the XBMC homepage. It will install in a couple clicks, start in fullscreen and work perfectly.

Comment

• dusk
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Its always been on again/ off again with xbmc and me... but I really want to try it out again now ... I have been hearing about Mashup and 1channel alot. I hear Kodi has a ton of issues. Anyone recommend any good current plug-ins?
                  ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

I've moved to Plex and stuck with it ever since.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• dusk
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

^^^ This.

Plex is where its at. I kinda gave up on xbmc (kodi) streaming, buffering, plugin updates... broken streams, constant updates... too much hassel.
                      ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Donny Concrete
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Sep 2006

You can install a plex media server addon in XBMC.
                        Even a man who is pure in heart And says his prayers each night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms and the moon is full and bright.

Comment

Working...