X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Constant problems connecting to Xbox Live

Ever since I bought this 360 I have constant issues staying connected to Xbox Live, does anyone have any tips that I might not know about?

I know my internet connection is fine. I've had ATT DSL installed here for over a year, and I can download from fast ftp sites at 2.7MB/sec at any time (my modems cap rate), so my connection rate and also line noise is fine because I've checked. I never have any disconnection/outage issues related to this service, except when the power goes out, so it is something with my Xbox or the service keeps terminating my connection for some reason.

I don't know if it is this 2WIRE modem from ATT that I have to use or what. I have the Xbox service port forwarded to my IP of my Xbox I'm using in the simple 2WIRE firewall menu, so ports 88 and 3074 are open like the docs say, and I'm using an ethernet cable, no wireless. If I didn't have to use this damn 2WIRE modem I could try and sniff the connection to see what is happening but I can't...

I know I can connect because it will sign in, show my friends and then terminate right away, or work for a few mins (or hours) and let me browse content then the damn thing will cut out again, it is all random. Like right now it has killed me about 5 times and I can't even download a full game demo before it kicks me off. Last time there was an Xbox update I had to try like 15 times to get the download to complete and get the update installed because it just disconnects at random times.

Any ideas because this is pissing me off!! I'm not going to pay 60$ a year if this crap keeps happening.
  • threehills
    I heart Lollergirl
    • Jun 2005

Re: Constant problems connecting to Xbox Live

I had the exact same problem on my PS3 and the play station network. While I realize they are different systems, they both have the potential to act as home media servers, and this what was caused this connection problem for my PS3. Once I disabled this feature from my settings screen, I no longer had any connection problems. Maybe try this on the XB and see if it works?
    It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• Funky Dredd
      Are you Kidding me??
      • May 2005

I had the same problem with DSL. What I ended up doing was buying a Linksys router and assigning the Xbox a static IP and placing the Xbox in the DMZ. I've never had a problem after that.
      Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• picklemonkey
        Double hoodie beer monster
        • Jun 2004

Do you have NAT issues?

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

So after looking at the firewall rules again, the Xbox actually needs the web port 80 and also 53 which is DNS to be exposed to the world. I'm not sure this thing must respond to DNS queries or something such maybe to verify your ID on XBL, and for the web part I dont know. These weren't explicitly forwarded to this box, so inbound connections to these ports would fail. I added these and reconnected and it looks to have fixed the issue. I'm guessing the random disconnects could have been when a reverse lookup could be occuring or something because it would time out in minutes, or sometimes after a couple of hours.

I think this has fixed it though....

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

I keep my PS in my dmz to avoid issues

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006