X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Obama Tops Hilary in Fundraising for 1st Quarter

Obama just reported that he raised $25M to Hilary's $26M in the first quarter:

Obviously, at first blush, she has raised more money, and technically she has. Reading between the lines, though, it seems pretty clear that he is in a better spot and likely eclipsed her fundraising for the primaries. Check it out:
    • Obama has raised at least $23.5 million for the primary. Hilary has not disclosed how her $26M is broken down between the general election and the primary -- but since donors are capped at $2300 per election (i.e., $4600 total between the general election and primary) and she has had a number of events where she solicited $4600 all at one time, it is likely that she can't tap a significant amount of that money for the primary, which is likely to be extremely important. Unless she quickly announces that she has an amount earmarked for the primaries in response, I think we can assume that it's less than $23.5M.
    • Hilary raised her $26M using half the number of donors Obama used. Concentrating donations amongst a smaller group of people + asking for the maximum for both elections up front = a smaller base of willing donors who aren't already maxed out. She might have the best start, but staying power could be an issue for her going forward...
    • With Hilary's long-existing fundraising infrastructure, even coming close to her ought to be considered a minor victory for Obama.
    • Obama has raised almost $7M over the internet. No event, no face-to-face meeting, just sending money. That's huge.

I really like the guy, so I'm biased, but I do think this bodes well for him.
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: Obama Tops Hilary in Fundraising for 1st Quarter

And Romney has left the Republican field in the dust -- $21M vs $14M for Guiliani and $12.5M for McCain.

That's a bit surprising to me, considering his standing in the polls...

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

Comment

• srbbnd
        Platinum Poster
        • Jul 2005

That is more of a turn off for me. Seems like they are just waisting more money that could be spent on other things.
        www.bestfilmsofthe20thcentury.com/

www.forwardthinkingproduction.com/

Comment

• subterFUSE
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2006

LOL Jenks.

I am laughing so hard I am coughing and gasping for air right now.

Comment

• superdave
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

I can't help think is Obama the Howard Dean of '08. Started off strong, but came down to earth. Right now, the Hollywood Democrats seem infatuated with him. In the end, the reality will come down to is he the guy to beat Giuliani or the Republican nominee? Will normal Americans vote for him?

I think it will shake down that Hillary will win the nomination and Obama will be the VP candidate. It makes too much sense. A woman and black male would lock up so many votes. I don't see him being the VP candidate if his ego gets in the way of being 2nd. Then he'll hope for a Republican win and run again in '12.
            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

Update:

April 4, 2007? - ABC News has learned that the $23.5 million Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., raised for his presidential campaign for use in the primaries is more than that raised by the Democratic frontrunner, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.

Of the $26 million Clinton has raised in the first quarter of 2007 for her presidential campaign, approximately $20 million is to be used in the primaries and caucuses, sources told ABC News.

Comment

• subterFUSE
                Gold Gabber
                • Nov 2006

Haha.... eat shit, Hillary.

Comment

• apollo_1444
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2006

LOOOOOL at the pic